M&S deliver again!

Makes you wonder if the driver needs to visit ‘Specsavers’ or just couldn’t understand what the height sign 8’-6" meant :question:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo … e-20001098

Regards
Dave Penn;

The sign actually says 10’, not 8-6 as the beeb say

Not that 18 inches makes a lot of difference in this case!!!

There are low bridges thay you think “I just might squeeze through” and others that scream “NO”, that particular one is a NO

I know that bridge after years of delivering to Habitat in York , even if I knew my truck would go under I still didnt try it just in case . He must of been ■■■■■■ .

Words fail me…

We are all prone to the odd mistake, but this smacks of complete stupidity.

Is that what their advertising slogan refers to?
“Plan A…Because there’s no P :laughing: lan B”

“This is not a driver…this is a bloody idiot!”

well ive just made my self feel better after reading this story and then got the image up on google maps and it clearly says 10 feet. we can all make mistakes just like i did about 6 years ago when i put a 13.9 trailer under a 13.9 bridge 4 times on the same day but i hit it on the 4th time. but this idiot just clearly cant read or he just didnt care.

Nah was a young driver following his sat nav :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Even if it does say 10’ still wouldnt chance it as can see the trailer wouldnt go under that bridge he should have turned at the lights but never mind he will learn

Wonder what his boss said

That’s not just a bridge strike

That’s an M&S bridge strike !!! :laughing:

legin66:
That’s not just a bridge strike

That’s an M&S bridge strike !!! :laughing:

Very good :smiley:

FFS !!!

Just seen that on BBC site.

Unbechuffinlievable !!

FFS This driver must be a muppet not to see that he is not going to fit under .

i have the opposite problem!!!

little ■■■■, big hole!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Some people dont deserve an hgv license imo

They say there is no such thing as bad publicly what do you guys reckon :laughing:

Who thinks that is a verbal warning, written warning or P45 :laughing:

davepenn54:
Makes you wonder if the driver needs to visit ‘Specsavers’ or just couldn’t understand what the height sign 8’-6" meant :question:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo … e-20001098

Regards
Dave Penn;

A couple of years ago, one of my first driving jobs (on agency) involved taking a reefer wagon to deliver to a pub/restaurant in some narrow cobbled backstreet of York. It was a bloody massive wagon given that it was a rigid. It had one of the first automatic gearboxes, prone to rolling backwards when hill-starting. It was an early evening start on short notice, and I’d been awake all day.

It was gone midnight by time I got to York, and most places were kicking people out. That was after a trip along the snake pass (the first time I’d been up there), a wrong turn into a frighteningly small courtyard in Sheffield trying to find another restaurant, and to top it all temperatures were sub-zero and there was heavy snow on the ground everywhere.

I was warned by an experienced driver not to take the wagon down the street in York due to the tightness of the turns and the swingboards along the walls of the entire street, but I took a chance. I had to maneouver the wagon extensively in a pedestrianised area, full of drunks drifting and staggering in every direction, just to get it into the street and back out again. Frankly the delivery would have been impossible otherwise, given the cobbles and the snow/ice. I actually managed the entire shift without so much as scratch on the wagon. Absolutely a trial by fire, and all other jobs seemed easy after that!

mkb600:
The sign actually says 10’, not 8-6 as the beeb say

Not that 18 inches makes a lot of difference in this case!!!

There are low bridges thay you think “I just might squeeze through” and others that scream “NO”, that particular one is a NO

On google street view one approach is signed 10’… the other side says 8’ 6
Whats that all about ■■

Cos going one way you go under a 10’ high arch and going the other way you go under a 8’ 6" arch. … Fairly simple really.

m+s have a set route out of york,he must of follow his sat nav instead, even when he got to the bar he could of turned left onto toft green with no problem

kemperink:
m+s have a set route out of york,he must of follow his sat nav instead, even when he got to the bar he could of turned left onto toft green with no problem

there is no left on to toft green from where he was. to get to toft green he would of had to turn right on to bar lane first but there is a sign there for no right turn after the bar but it could be read as if there is no right turn on to bar lane prior to the bar. either way he should of stopped and assessed the situation prior to going forward. also there is no M&S on that side of the river so why he chose that route is a mystery.

If he struggled getting under Micklegate Bar then he would have really struggled backing onto the bays at the York M&S. I travel through Micklegate bar on an almost daily basis and its restricted both height and width.
It’s not the first time somebody has hit the bar walls and most certainly won’t be the last!

SB