Lupin Farm Collection and Show

Lupin Farm is at Alrewas near Burton upon Trent and Lichfield.It was run by Arthur and Edwin Tipper but Arthur died some years ago and now Edwin is in charge.Edwin has a collection of vehicles,lorries and cars all of which are worth a look.There is a show at the end of August that has been going since 1985/6 and the proceeds going to local charities.This year (2014) they made over £11000 with no entrance charge.
One vehicle that Edwin uses is a 1968 Ford Transit everyday.When this vehicle was delivered to him it came with a wooden driver’s seat as it was at the time when the ladies who made the seat covers were on strike.
I will post some pictures of his collection and his show which will contain cars.The show started in a small field but now it it covers two big fields with about 500 plus motors.The attached photo was taken in 2010 of Edwin showing a very good friend of mine from Canada Basil Stevenson,Grandson of the founder of Stevenson’s buses.If you don’t like the cars being on this site please tell me

A.W.T.1968 Transit 5.jpg

rastone:
Lupin Farm is at Alrewas near Burton upon Trent and Lichfield.It was run by Arthur and Edwin Tipper but Arthur died some years ago and now Edwin is in charge.Edwin has a collection of vehicles,lorries and cars all of which are worth a look.There is a show at the end of August that has been going since 1985/6 and the proceeds going to local charities.This year (2014) they made over £11000 with no entrance charge.
One vehicle that Edwin uses is a 1968 Ford Transit everyday.When this vehicle was delivered to him it came with a wooden driver’s seat as it was at the time when the ladies who made the seat covers were on strike.
I will post some pictures of his collection and his show which will contain cars.The show started in a small field but now it it covers two big fields with about 500 plus motors.The attached photo was taken in 2010 of Edwin showing a very good friend of mine from Canada Basil Stevenson,Grandson of the founder of Stevenson’s buses.If you don’t like the cars being on this site please tell me

The good days of the Trani ! Looks very good.

A.W.T.Commer.jpg
A.W.T. Commer Maxiload.jpgSome more and note the T.S. 3 has a newer cab due to an accident

LUPIN SHOW 1 2003.JPG

Arthur Tipper

Quest.jpg
Quest.jpgA few more pictures

Reg Woodings Thorneycroft at Lupin Show 2012 1.jpg

Never realised that the Quest had survived,did Whortons have a curtain bodied version as well?

I bet your camera is never out of your hand Tony, some really great pictures appearing from you.
The Commer, as you may well know, used to belong to Scotney’s potato merchants from Roston, that would probably replace the Trader you sold them would it?, then that Bedford would make Gavin think all his Christmas’s had come at once, he calls them a proper lorry as he took his driving test in one that belonged to Walter, then we have a view out of Henry Edwards’ Transcontinental.
Reg’s Thorneycroft Sturdy, that has been an ongoing project for quite a few years now, I have called on Reg and seen the progress as he restored that lorry and now it’s finished it really is a credit to him, it’s a pity the old bugger’s to mean to put much petrol in it and you don’t see it out much though.
Keep up the good work scanning and posting

1970commer:
I bet your camera is never out of your hand Tony, some really great pictures appearing from you.
The Commer, as you may well know, used to belong to Scotney’s potato merchants from Roston, that would probably replace the Trader you sold them would it?, then that Bedford would make Gavin think all his Christmas’s had come at once, he calls them a proper lorry as he took his driving test in one that belonged to Walter, then we have a view out of Henry Edwards’ Transcontinental.
Reg’s Thorneycroft Sturdy, that has been an ongoing project for quite a few years now, I have called on Reg and seen the progress as he restored that lorry and now it’s finished it really is a credit to him, it’s a pity the old bugger’s to mean to put much petrol in it and you don’t see it out much though.

Scotney swapped that for a D-Series.He had two one with a ■■■■■■■ in and one with a Turbo.He also had a six cylinder Trader.Trevor Brown used to drive them and he took over the business and he had a Merc. with a drag.

Arthur paid me about £1700 for it and I took a Trader from him for £100 which we sold to a coal merchant in Derby.The paint job cost him £75 by Duggie Wild at Longton.Arthur was taken on his Commer to his funeral service on it to Kings Bromley.There some horses in a field by the road and the all ran to the fence as it went by.How about that.
He’s buried in Kings Bromley Churchyard with a picture of the Commer on the headstone and last time I saw it it had an oil can on the grave.
By the way we did the deal sitting on the wall outside the house. IT WAS TO CHEAP !!

pete smith:
Never realised that the Quest had survived,did Whortons have a curtain bodied version as well?

I can’t remember a curtainsider but I used to see this one about quite a bit in Derby.I didn’t have a look properly as I was too busy looking at Reg’s Thorney.It seems they were made in Telford and the instrument panel was above the driver.You will find a bit more info in one of Peter Davies’s books.

Tony

LUPIN SHOW 5 2003.JPG

1970commer:

Here we go

Does anybody know where this motor is.When it was new it was supplied by Atkey’s at Uttoxeter and I knew the family well as a well known name in Doveridge

Austin seven.jpg

rastone:
Does anybody know where this motor is.When it was new it was supplied by Atkey’s at Uttoxeter and I knew the family well as a well known name in Doveridge

Some more

rastone:

rastone:

Some more

img363.jpg

img362.jpg

A couple more at Lupin.Not too good photos

I wonder if the other Quest that Whorton’s ran has survived? It was a box van, a longer wheelbase than their tipper, I used to see it a lot when we ran to the West Midlands area. That road past Tippers from Kings Bromley to Alrewas used to be quite narrow until they widened it (in sections) in the nineties, we surfaced it from Ballidon. I remember we were still working near the A515 end and they opened the Alrewas section…and within an hour or so someone was killed on the new road so they closed it again. :cry:

Pete.

I think it has.I’m sure I saw a photo recently somewhere.

Tony

They were both at the last Donnington Park auction. The box van is now just a chassis cab

Hi rastone, the Transit strikes a chord with me, I had one (a Crewbus, wooden slatted side seats at the back) new in '71, it had a V4 engine, if I remember rightly sat at a slight angle. The oil pump was driven by a long hexagonal shaft off the distributor, this was a bad design as the hex rounded after a while and the pump gradually became less effective, I had the oil light come on once, got out, checked the dipstick, plenty oil so carried on, only to grind to a halt a few miles later. The same engine was in the Ford Corsair.
I’ve tweaked your photos, bit more definition, hope it’s ok.
Oily

rastone img987...jpg

rastone img986...jpg

Yes they are better.When the first Transit came out we had a red one with sliding doors and a thick gear lever and after the old 400E van I said to myself " These will never sell !"

A salesman isn’t always right

Tony

John Pearson with his Foden