Lowering pay and benefits

Following on from the average pay topic, on the radio there was someone putting the case for stopping all benefits and the government using the money to pay everyone of working age say £15000 per year. Nobody would be unemployed but if you wanted more money you worked and if your job would have paid £25000 you only got £10000 and the firm kept the £15000 and paid tax on it this would keep wages down allowing firms to compete with say China so making more jobs.

The way they explained it sounded good but would it work?

Google Unconditional Basic Income. Pie in the sky idea because it would require massive taxation to fund and its not going to sit well with people who work.

The idea is you give EVERYONE a basic monthly allowance with no conditions, no means testing which is enough to live on regardless of whether they work or not or if they’re even bothered about working and its given to those with no other income and those with £millions. If you want more money than UBI then you go get a job however for a lot of people the level of UBI would be high enough that they’d most likely be quite happy with their lifestyle on it. It would certainly be at a far higher level than someone living off JSA would get because its designed to make a welfare system unnecessary so for the UK probably around £10-£12000 per person meaning family of four would get £40-£48k. If it ended up being that for a family then almost everyone with a family in my county, in fact probably most of the country north of the Midlands would stop working.

The loonie left think it’ll end up in utopia, those of us living on planet reality know that it’ll mean a lot of people will stop working altogether and the rest will be taxed to living hell to pay for it.

Sounds good! Bring it on; I’ll pack in work tomorrow :laughing:

Finland are going to trial it in one county soon. A lot of countries will be looking closely.

I’ve seen the idea before, but at a lower amount. I wouldn’t rule some version of it out.

axletramp:
Sounds good! Bring it on; I’ll pack in work tomorrow :laughing:

+1
I work full time the wife works part time,I could go part time maybe 2 days a week and the wife could jack in completely if this comes in.

The Swiss are having a referendum on this . but at an eye watering level : think £450/week

For England it would make alot of sense if in region of £150/week .

Would be no need of 1000’s civil servants on huge wage/benefit to admininster pension credit , tax credit , council tax benefit , housing benefit , sick pay etc .

Could all be done on IR new paye system .

This is actually Green Party policy and no sane person can argue its not a good idea , its only the actual level that is contentious .

That’s one of the real pluses, reduced administration. Couple it with a flat rate tax system.

Cant see how the Swiss could make it work at that level, why work, I could cruise on 450 a week.

If UKIP had any brains they would use this policy as a campaign tool ,

And say this is what England could look like once we have deported all the rombulpolhuns bums .

Would go some way to solving housing problems too , cause if you are on dole in surrey with £200/wk flat you would have no option but to move to Doncaster and rent a £70/week terrace house .

Could actually SAVE the country money

Communists had this System. Will they copy Putin :question:

Not sure many believe Putin is a communist !

We all remember that when the great communist leader Khrushchev was ousted by the fat bum Brezhnev following the Cuban crisis…

Khrushy went to live in a 2 roomed dacha with only a basic pension for wealth .

Do not expect Putin to follow this example .

I’m not commenting till I hear Carryfast’s 2000 words on the matter :smiley:

boredwivdrivin:

We all remember that when the great communist leader Khrushchev was ousted by the fat bum Brezhnev following the Cuban crisis…

I watched that panorama the other week about Putin.
They reckon he’s one of the richest guys in the world.
Got I think it was 14 million yatch as a gift from ambrovich the Chelsea owner.
Lives in a palace on his own estate all on I think it was 100k dollar salary through the books.

I think Unconditional Basic Income will become pretty commonplace, maybe in my lifetime. When the self-driving trucks don’t need people behind the wheel we’ll all be bloody glad that we’re not all homeless. At least trampers will have a heads up on the lifestyle :unamused: :laughing:

But if you think of it, having 2 kids is already the same or better than having an UBI.

Themoocher:

boredwivdrivin:

I watched that panorama the other week about Putin.
They reckon he’s one of the richest guys in the world.
Got I think it was 14 million yatch as a gift from ambrovich the Chelsea owner.
Lives in a palace on his own estate all on I think it was 100k dollar salary through the books.

I watched that aswell, they think he is the richest man in Europe. He syphons off millions into his own pockets. Put all his pals into the top jobs aswell. Crooked as ■■■■. Bet that won’t be shown on Russian tv :laughing:

There is interesting reading about the oligarchy thing in your local library .

Basically the largest theft in history !

Story goes that a certain football club owner was the most brilliant maths student in the whole of russia . he was soon working as an economic advisor at the Kremlin .

Yeltsin was a terrible lush who downed vodka like an MEP quaffing tax payer bought fine wine .

Soon the bright young things realised if you gave the President a bottle and a piece of paper , he would down the spirits like a scottish teenager and …

Sign absolutely ANYTHING !!

And i mean anything .

Soon enough everyone working at the kremlin found themselves proud owners of banks , steelworks , coal mines , oil wells , airports , industries …everything with any value was 'un nationalised ’ .

And everyone lived happily ever after !

( except yeltsin who died if liver failure and the vast majority of ex soviet citizens )

Everyone in any position in the Kremlin is Putin friends he worked with in his local council office for how ever many years.
They all own massive companies that they reckon mr putin gets heavy cut in every big industry in Russia.

boredwivdrivin:
The Swiss are having a referendum on this . but at an eye watering level : think £450/week

For England it would make alot of sense if in region of £150/week .

Its supposed to replace all benefits so JSA, housing benefit and council tax benefit at a bare minimum. I would think that £450 a week wouldn’t be far from a UK figure.

Mr Schmidt denies this, saying the proposed amount for Switzerland, 2,500 Swiss francs ($2,800; £1,750) a month is scarcely enough to survive on, and that anyway a society in which people work only because they have to have money is “no better than slavery”.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-25415501

basicincome.org/news/2015/10 … nitiative/

Conor:
Its supposed to replace all benefits so JSA, housing benefit and council tax benefit at a bare minimum. I would think that £450 a week wouldn’t be far from a UK figure.

come on man :

dole :£90/fortnight
poll tax :£80/month
rent :£80/wk

=£145/ week !!

if people cant afford to live in Islington , move to hartlepool . with the savings on admin we could probably pay £200/ week and still save billions .

so long as level is set below minimum wage level (40X£7.20=£288) there is no disincentive to work .

and as someone says above , flat rate tax on earnings above minimum income level .

everyones a winner !!

best idea ive had this year

i own a house in London, my friend doesn’t work. He rents my house and has no intentions of leaving or working as he gets DLA, so thanks to the messed up Government, who gave me a huge Right to Buy discount in a nice suburb, then allows people to claim benefits to use Tax payers money to buy my house … and give me 150 a week profit … it pays towards my house here in Sydney…

However, I think it is disgraceful!!! that tax payers buy my house for me, the rules should be changed to prevent manipulating the system legally.