low loader

Ok im heading up to Leeds on Wednesday ( rothwell ) i have to pick up a unit, then run down to Derby to pick up a trailer, then go back to Leeds to put a unit on the back, now the problem i have is this, The trailer is a low loader, But the unit is a M.A.N. TGA XXL, apparently theyre 4M high, so if thats the case, i will need to get it lower to keep within the 4M tolerance for bridges across europe, especially Germany, so what i will need to do, is probably take the wheels off, and mount the tractor on railway sleepers, placed under the front/rear axles, do you think this is a good idea. im also picking up a rigid down in Oxford also, but the tolerance is ok. The trailer im told is 870mm to deck height, and the 7.5 tonner is 3.30 so height is not a problem, its only a problem for the XXL which im told will be around 4.1m to 4.4m, your advice is greatly valued, thank you.

Tilt the cab. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I’ll ■■■■ off now

if that height includes the aerofoil, would it be easier to take that off and stash it on the catwalk instead of the ball ache of removing and then refitting wheels ,

Let the air out the tyres :confused:

How high is the unit your driving?

If it’s lower put that on the back and pull it with the high one :unamused:

That comment about tilting the cab isn’t as daft as it sounds.
You’d need to strap it/wedge it somehow, or the thing will bounce around and knacker the cab mounts, hydraulic rams and probably a lot more.
I don’t think you’ll have much room for the 7.5 tonner though.

front wheels off and axle on blocks, not much point removing rear ones imo

green456:
front wheels off and axle on blocks, not much point removing rear ones imo

Lol

Iam no rocket scientist ,but 870mm add 4.1 m minus the wheels is still over 4 metres .a firm near me recover all there own vehicles from Europe ,when high roof sleepers came in they had to stop using the low loader and bought an under lift .can you reverse the unit on last ,leave the cab on the beaver tail and take the wheels off using the minimum block s .

Take the air kit off and the front wheels would be my advice

Some good advice there, i can only go by what ive been told, its the highest cab ever made in the MAN series, and XXL is the extra large bit. So its an option to take off the air kit ( if it has one ) im not too clued up, on Mans i think wheels off and rest the axles on wood ( sleepers ) the unit im driving is identical, i will have to nose around when i get up there, the other option, is to turn it on its side…lol, will have to look at the dimensions on line for the MAN XXL…my problem is lack of equipment, im not carrying a complete tool kit, dont have sleepers, or a tyre man, but it can all be arranged once im there, but thanks for your replies…keep them coming.

The XXl only has a small air deflector which will save you 4-6 inches

Which will make a difference if the fine is calculated by the inch .

:bulb: Keep the MAN XXL at the back, if you have to, take it off the loader, drive them under bridges separately :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

On the continent I hear they are very laid back, should be no problem lol :smiley:

Good luck what ever you do

M1cks thats a good bit of news with the air kit, i know some dont have an air kit, just a high roof, and my working is is if the deck height of the trailer is 870 mm, and the unit is 4M ( thats only what ive been told, so dont know how accurate that is ) with the wheels on, then maybe, if it has an air kit, maybe all i have to do is take it off, failing that i am trying to arrange some railway sleepers to drop it onto. and call out a tyre company to take the wheels off, just trying to locate 8 sleepers, as im picking up the trailer from Derby, hopefully i`ll have some luck there.

From your measurements I guess you are using a Semi low loader with ramps ( a true low loader with a bed would not be 870mm high) you could take the risk and might get away with it- but getting caught over height will not be cheap and hitting a bridge cos your deliiberatly over height in Germany could involve some time at the chancellors rest home for stupid drivers (Prison)

G6Bob:
:idea: Keep the MAN XXL at the back, if you have to, take it off the loader, drive them under bridges separately :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

On the continent I hear they are very laid back, should be no problem lol :smiley:

Good luck what ever you do

They are laid back when it comes to booking a campsite ,but over height in Germany is a bigger crime than France .i think a roamin permit is needed to be bought for this .

Maybe revers the unit up onto the neck as far as the fuel tank will allow so the cab is leaning towards the ramps then lower the airkit might get you somewhere close.

The height of an xxl without an air kit is 3771mm according to this link man-bodybuilder.co.uk/specs/ … 20Spec.pdf so with the height of the low loader you will have to lose at least 641mm which I dont think can be done, as even taking the front wheels off i think you will only gain about another 200 mm due to having to rest the axle on a sleeper.

What’s your final destination with the trucks?