Low bridge South Circular help please

Afternoon to you all,
I now have the honour of delivering to the Smithfield market and any other place around London where they see fit to banish me too.
I’m just on a bit of forward thinking really,have no problem navigating around the smoke but…the trailers we pull are 13’11 which is just a shade to tight for the 13’9 bridge on the south circular by Tulse Hill to take a run at.

Was wondering which routes you take to avoid it?

Cheers…Oooooooooo Lisa and Ice Road Truckers is on!

Bri

Jeez…Wrong forum sorry,can anyone tell me how to shift it to pro drivers?

ShropsBri:
Jeez…Wrong forum sorry,can anyone tell me how to shift it to pro drivers?

like this :wink:

Iif its the bridge im thinking of there is an alternative route sign posted just before it

You will have no problem going under that bridge. There is more room than the sign shows but don’t know why. Been under it countless times. How high are double decker buses, they go under with comfort?

44 Tonne Ton:
You will have no problem going under that bridge. There is more room than the sign shows but don’t know why. Been under it countless times. How high are double decker buses, they go under with comfort?

I think most double deckers are 13ft 9 or certainly used to be.
I personally don’t run the south circ to often due to being 16 ft and tend to just plan routes depending on the drops at the time.
I wouldn’t consider going under a bridge that was marked lower than I was even if it wasn’t prohibited. what would you say if you hit it, a bloke from Trucknet said it would be ok officer.

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

I personally don’t run the south circ to often due to being 16 ft and tend to just plan routes depending on the drops at the time.
I wouldn’t consider going under a bridge that was marked lower than I was even if it wasn’t prohibited. what would you say if you hit it, a bloke from Trucknet said it would be ok officer.

Some arched bridges are marked up much lower than the actual clearance, which is why there are markings on the road to take you through the highest point.

An AEC Regent Bus which was known as a Beverley Bar Bus

Some vehicles are designed specifically for the routes they ply.

Wheel Nut:

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

Some arched bridges are marked up much lower than the actual clearance, which is why there are markings on the road to take you through the highest point.

An AEC Regent Bus which was known as a Beverley Bar Bus

Some vehicles are designed specifically for the routes they ply.

True to a degree, bridges like that are normally marked twice and tell you where you should drive. If an arched bridge is marked with a red circle at 13 ft 9 it is illegal to pass through when you are higher even if you can as you are prohibited. If it is marked with a red triangle its a case of you have been warned. The bridge may be higher but unless its marked accordingly you don’t know how much higher.
Lets not forget it is a legal requirement to know your height so if you hit a bridge marked lower than you vehicle you will be at fault.

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

Not much point him asking the question here then according to you!

I was heading that way a few years ago and on approaching the bridge the lights went off but I had already crossed the junction so I pulled over to check. I watched the buses going through and they had about a foot of clearance. I approached the bridge with caution but confident I could get under and I did with plenty of room can’t remember how big that trailer was but it was on the tall side. I wouldn’t go that way for Smithfield anyway , I’d use the North Circular but he may have other drops on.

i was always under the impression if you got caught going under a 13"9’ and you were say 13"10’ - you were breaking a rule/law /whatever and can be done for it - ? even if you fitted with comfort
cheers
Steve

gm:
i was always under the impression if you got caught going under a 13"9’ and you were say 13"10’ - you were breaking a rule/law /whatever and can be done for it - ? even if you fitted with comfort
cheers
Steve

If it’s a circular sign then it’s giving an order and there is a FPN offence code for ignoring it. If it’s a triangular then it’s just a warning, so no ticket. If you ignored one and then clouted the bridge you’d probably be looking at a ‘without due care’ or dangerous driving.

Drop yer suspension?

I was once told that if there is a pavement under the bridge, then the height is measured from the top of the pavement and so you have extra clearance equivalent to the height of the kerb and although I wouldn’t take a chance on it, from observation this does seem as if it might be true.

The correct route to take to make sure you don’t fall foul of the bridge height restriction and the London Lorry ban, is to turn right onto the A215 Norwood road for a few hundred yards to the junction with Lancaster Ave, then turn left there and you rejoin the South Circular past the low bridge. Where are you coming from though? Depending on your entry point to London and if you are travelling in the ban times that may not be the best route to take.

Hiya …I,ve been round that diversion to miss the bridge and from what i can remember it was
abit tight on some corners if cars was parked badly.i did stacks of london work and always
seemed to find a easy route to miss the bridge. the time i used the diversion i had a 15’6 trailer
and was going to south norwood from catford.
john

Don’t Bother with the south circular use the M25 and use the most direct route to your drop or pickup!! Go out the way you came in!! A Stobbies 15ft3in trailer ■■■■■■■ the bridge at Catford last week and it happens too often there!! :unamused:

A wee update. I went under this bridge yesterday. It looks like the road has been resurfaced recently so maybe some of that clearance has been reduced.

When we had all the snow late last year, I had to use the south circular, which was a bit slushy, but I had to take the diversion, which was just a sheet of snow on a street of housing, that was not much fun :grimacing:

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

Ours were 14’3 - 14’6 marked height

waynedl:

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

Were you on that route?

44 Tonne Ton:

waynedl:

iangam:

44 Tonne Ton:

Were you on that route?

No mate, I mean our double deck busses, I’m Manchester based.