Lovely old lorry

Just got parked up at Barneys diner near to humberside Airport and this lovely old Sedon A pulled up all restored. Looks gorgeous.
1EE488A0-7135-414D-9D9B-EFC5E6FEC22F.jpeg

First lorry…

I ever drove. First gear I ever selected after hoofing the clutch down was reverse. It was the yard shunter.
You soon get good when there’s no power steering.

Looks really strange behind a modernish tautliner. I mean there’s no aerodynamics at all the mpg must be horrendous :laughing:
Cracking bit of old kit though

Aerodynamics and mpg might be rubbish.
But on other hand no electric displays and menus…
No beeping messaging saying sensor blocked error etc.
No mirroless options.
No fancy gadgets
Probably can’t even be connected to micorlise.
Just an old fashioned gear stick and and a handbrake what more could you want.

OEB 536M belonging to Comfortex of Oldham is a ■■■■■■■ powered Atkinson “Borderer” and quite a well known vehicle. As far as I can see from the image that is not a particularly modern trailer either. Modern trailers have the pin 1.6m from the front which geenerally results in the pin being roughly in line with the 3rd curtain strap. This trailer looks to have a ‘shorter’ pin.

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just got parked up at Barneys diner near to humberside Airport and this lovely old Sedon A pulled up all restored. Looks gorgeous.0

Not a Seddon-Atkinson: just an Atkinson :wink:

cav551:
OEB 536M belonging to Comfortex of Oldham is a ■■■■■■■ powered Atkinson “Borderer” and quite a well known vehicle. As far as I can see from the image that is not a particularly modern trailer either. Modern trailers have the pin 1.6m from the front which geenerally results in the pin being roughly in line with the 3rd curtain strap. This trailer looks to have a ‘shorter’ pin.

Good point, chances are this old girl couldn’t even hitch up to some deep pin modern trailers, let alone hope to turn.

■■■■■■■ eh? so possibly power steering.

First motor I ever bought early 80s, and it was old then :neutral_face: …60s technology.
Air wipers, dodgy heater, no power steering,.I used to carry a grease gun around with me and do the kingpins when I was parked up.
220 ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ box…google it. :smiley:
Sleeper conversion, so not all bad…it was a shock to the system after leaving my last job to buy it,.especially coming off a brand new F10 Volvo. :open_mouth:

My girlfriend modelling it…she became my wife so it didn’t put her off me. :laughing:

Hey Robroy, the colour scheme rings a bell, Pandora?

edd1974:
Just an old fashioned gear stick and and a handbrake what more could you want.

Air suspension and a seat that don’t kill yer back might be a start.

By the way, I’ve driven the old stuff and have an S21 Foden as my camper van; but I’ll stick to the Actros (for all its perceived failings) to earn me weekly crust, thanks.

Juddian:

Opening a box o` worms there mate.
(Spell check got you :smiley: )
P AND O ROadways…Pandoro

PS, Im with Sidevalve: Id love to play with an old Atki for an hour or two, but wouldn`t want to earn my living with one.

ERF-NGC-European:

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just got parked up at Barneys diner near to humberside Airport and this lovely old Sedon A pulled up all restored. Looks gorgeous.0

Hmm, well, sort of. Atkinson vehicles was bought over by Seddon Lorries in 1970, four years before this lorry was registered.
I fancy that if you look at the manufacturers plate, it will say Seddon Atkinson on it. SA then became part of IH in 1974. I think.

Franglais:

Juddian:

P AND O ROadways…Pandoro

PS, Im with Sidevalve: Id love to play with an old Atki for an hour or two, but wouldn`t want to earn my living with one.

I typed pandoro first time but it didn’t look right, my excuse and i’m sticking to it :smiling_imp:

Now me being a cantakerous old bugger, which you’ll struggle to believe, if someone offered me a new just unboxed Sed Ack 401 twin steer circa 84/85 design with the big ■■■■■■■ lurking under the bonnet i’d be happy as Larry, not for an hour but permanent.

Re Old John, i’d forgotten about the IH involvement, should have remembered, we had a 6 wheeler Sed Ack 300 on a T plate, which had the turbocharged IH engine (as fitted to dozers i believe), quite a sweet engine once the fuel had been opened up a tad, same engine without turbo in the 200 4 wheeler i recall.

Juddian:

Nah, it was originally an ICI unit based at Middlesbrough in an orange livery,
Then it was bought by a Carlisle owner driver where it was painted green in JW Watts of Carlisle colours, with a sleeper added…as below.

I bought it from him and painted it two tone blue in the colours of a local steel haulier who I pulled trailers for.

Juddian:

Franglais:

Juddian:

P AND O ROadways…Pandoro

I typed pandoro first time but it didn’t look right, my excuse and i’m sticking to it :smiling_imp:

Now me being a cantakerous old bugger, which you’ll struggle to believe, if someone offered me a new just unboxed Sed Ack 401 twin steer circa 84/85 design with the big ■■■■■■■ lurking under the bonnet i’d be happy as Larry, not for an hour but permanent.

Classic education caught you out then?
Should have gone to Bash St ! :smiley:

Id be happier with summat from the early 2000s-ish to live with. But from the 80s? Have to be Scandinavian for me. Sed-Atk might be OK from new, but they didn`t wear well in my experience.

cav551:

Probably a Kelvin Lord of oldham trailor

ERF-NGC-European:

Yorkshire Tramper:

No expert in these old trucks, I thought it odd how there was just an A on the wheels and back of the unit. I thought Seddon Atkinson was the same company.

Yorkshire Tramper:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yorkshire Tramper:
Just got parked up at Barneys diner near to humberside Airport and this lovely old Sedon A pulled up all restored. Looks gorgeous.

No expert in these old trucks, I thought it odd how there was just an A on the wheels and back of the unit. I thought Seddon Atkinson was the same company.

No worries: just me being a bit pedantic :laughing:

Seddon and Atkinson were two separate companies with entirely different models till they merged (or one took the other over I think) in the early '70s to become Seddon-Atkinson. As mentioned further up the page, they had probably already merged by the time the Atkinson Borderer ruled the waves, but Borderers (and their sisters Defender, Searcher and Venturer) were certainly only ever badged Atkinson, even if the plate said SA. The first ‘official’ Seddon-Atkinson was I think the 200 and 400 range. Operators loyal to the Atkinson marque grumbled about the loss of the big ‘A’ and after a couple of years or more, the ‘A’ was restored to the grille of 400s and later 401s. There’ll be those on here better clued up but that’s how I remember it.

Ask Mr Bewick he will know a very knowledgeable man

Yorkshire Tramper:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yorkshire Tramper:

That is a Seddon around about the same time.
(Same firm I pulled trailers for at the time)

I’m older than I look. :laughing: :laughing: