Lorry over the edge on the A628

Came past a container truck that had gone through the barrier and fallen down the slope, just after the reservoir bridge travelling eastbound. From what little I saw, it didn’t look like a rollover. Hope the Driver is ok, as it definitely looks nasty.

Did anyone else see it and have any TNUK-CSI insight into how it happened, as he was traveling eastbound so had to cross the oncoming lane before going through the barrier.

My best guess is that he gave it some welly coming out the corner and the back of the unit stepped out, and he couldn’t correct it before he went over the edge. That road gets lots of cold spots at this time of year.

From what I gather, driver is ok, just some new pants needed. Very lucky not to roll over, it’s one of NWT’s wagons.

That road was the very place I wondered why the ■■■■ I was driving a hgv,this was after sliding for god knows how long (seemed like forever) on black ice in the pitch black of night eventually coming to a stop and sat for hours waiting for a gritter to come out because the road was literally sheet ice and I could not move,never before have I been so scared behind the wheel,horrible place in winter as it seems the gritters don’t bother with it.

Driver is ok few cuts, bruises & couple ribs out of place could have been a lot worse

The important bit is the driver is ok and nothing too serious.

slowlane:
Came past a container truck that had gone through the barrier and fallen down the slope, just after the reservoir bridge travelling eastbound. From what little I saw, it didn’t look like a rollover. Hope the Driver is ok, as it definitely looks nasty.

Did anyone else see it and have any TNUK-CSI insight into how it happened, as he was traveling eastbound so had to cross the oncoming lane before going through the barrier.

My best guess is that he gave it some welly coming out the corner and the back of the unit stepped out, and he couldn’t correct it before he went over the edge. That road gets lots of cold spots at this time of year.

Done Warrington to Sheffield today mate, so went past it at 7am and then came back past it at 1.30 pm.

Highways England have closed a small section where he’s flattened the barrier and they have put temporary lights in. Severe brown pants moment :open_mouth: And you are right-slippy as hell in various parts, I guess he has located one for us :laughing:

I have no idea how the thing has stayed where it has and not dropped another 30 feet down! Lucky chap for sure.

Glad to hear that the driver is moderately unharmed. The angle on that slope is probably about as close as you can get to rolling over without going all the way.

Chris - my first experience of that road was at 44t, in the rain at night… about 2 months after passing my test :open_mouth: There was some serious clenching involved, and a record breaking tailback behind me :blush: :blush:

I enquired about he drivers health as I was leaving work to be told he was okay and would be until the day driver got hold of him. It wasn’t put quite like that but you get the drift.
The Woodhead pass is my favourite road, but it can be iffy at times. My first experience of it a truck was pretty much like Slowlanes, dark windy and slinging it down with rain not long after passing my test. I did have the advantage of having ridden over it many times on a motorbike.

xichrisxi:
That road was the very place I wondered why the [zb] I was driving a hgv,this was after sliding for god knows how long (seemed like forever) on black ice in the pitch black of night eventually coming to a stop and sat for hours waiting for a gritter to come out because the road was literally sheet ice and I could not move,never before have I been so scared behind the wheel,horrible place in winter as it seems the gritters don’t bother with it.

How many vehicles went round that bend safely I wonder? And how many did not make it? If the road is that bad the gritters will definitely grit it.
If anything they over grit these days for obvious reasons.

Dr Damon:

xichrisxi:
That road was the very place I wondered why the [zb] I was driving a hgv,this was after sliding for god knows how long (seemed like forever) on black ice in the pitch black of night eventually coming to a stop and sat for hours waiting for a gritter to come out because the road was literally sheet ice and I could not move,never before have I been so scared behind the wheel,horrible place in winter as it seems the gritters don’t bother with it.

How many vehicles went round that bend safely I wonder? And how many did not make it? If the road is that bad the gritters will definitely grit it.

I slid on the Black Ice going straight not round the bend,it was 2am in the morning…when I came to a stop I got out the wagon to check for any damage and i literally could not stand up due to the ice on the road,got back into my wagon and tried to carry on and all my wheels were just spinning…I can 101% assure you they hadn’t gritted that night!
A bloke in a 4x4 came the other way, stopped and told me not to carry on as another wagon had jackknifed just around the corner,I told him that even if I wanted to I couldn’t go anywhere!
I called my works and they called Highways agency.The gritters arrived after a long wait,2 of them and went up and down the road a few times and the copper that drove upto me told me to wait 15 minutes before trying to go anywhere.
Sorry Dr Damien…even though I’m not a robot I’m more than capable of driving to the conditions,but assumed the roads had been gritted…luckily I wasn’t going a great speed.
Best not to make assumptions sweet pea x

Dr Damon:

xichrisxi:

I went round it fine.

But then again, I had seen a wagon on it’s side halfway down a severe slope. So maybe if I hadn’t seen this stricken fellow driver, maybe it could have been me doing maybe 2 or 3 mph too much,so stop spouting absolute ■■■■■■■■ fella.

Doesn’t matter if it’s been gritted or not, the fact is that the Woodhead Pass is a notorious and unforgiving road, especially in winter.

So spare us all your perfect driving wisdom. Bellend.

xichrisxi:

Dr Damon:

xichrisxi:

I slid on the Black Ice going straight not round the bend,it was 2am in the morning…when I came to a stop I got out the wagon to check for any damage and i literally could not stand up due to the ice on the road,got back into my wagon and tried to carry on and all my wheels were just spinning…I can 101% assure you they hadn’t gritted that night!
A bloke in a 4x4 came the other way, stopped and told me not to carry on as another wagon had jackknifed just around the corner,I told him that even if I wanted to I couldn’t go anywhere!
I called my works and they called Highways agency.The gritters arrived after a long wait,2 of them and went up and down the road a few times and the copper that drove upto me told me to wait 15 minutes before trying to go anywhere.
Sorry Dr Damien…even though I’m not a robot I’m more than capable of driving to the conditions,but assumed the roads had been gritted…luckily I wasn’t going a great speed.
Best not to make assumptions sweet pea x

Exactly right fella, most drivers drive assuming the roads have been gritted. Maybe best to check first eh! Some drivers also think they are driving to the conditions but end up in the ditch.
As you say best not to make assumptions daft lad. :smiley:

eagerbeaver:

Dr Damon:

xichrisxi:

I went round it fine.

But then again, I had seen a wagon on it’s side halfway down a severe slope. So maybe if I hadn’t seen this stricken fellow driver, maybe it could have been me doing maybe 2 or 3 mph too much,so stop spouting absolute ■■■■■■■■ fella.

Doesn’t matter if it’s been gritted or not, the fact is that the Woodhead Pass is a notorious and unforgiving road, especially in winter.

So spare us all your perfect driving wisdom. Bellend.

Signed yourself off correctly there fella. :smiley:

Actually, that was pretty funny :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ^^^

the maoster:
Actually, that was pretty funny :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ^^^

It would be funnier still if the driver halfway down that slope was this Damon ■■■■.

With a fifth wheel embedded in his skull… :wink:

Here’s the pics

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

And…we’re off… :laughing::grimacing:

Re the woodhead pass, used to hate that road with a passion, the arse end into Trafford Park ■■■■■■■■■

Pretty frightening when you see things like this, I always think it will happen to me. I am a driving hypochondriac :smiley:

UKtramp:
Pretty frightening when you see things like this, I always think it will happen to me. I am a driving hypochondriac :smiley:

Have a look at this UKT, Sa Colobra Serpentine, plenty of opportunities to go over the edge here. And…theres a water bottling plant halfway up :grimacing: youtube.com/watch?v=lvlIzXL9GYY