Lorry Hijacking

Hi,
Im a BBC television Journalist in the UK. We are currently putting together a feature about the increasing number of lorry hijackings in the UK.
Im especially interested in hearing about any incidences of this that have happened around the East Midlands.
Is there anyone reading this that has experienced having their truck hijacked for its load?

Thanks
p.s Rikki-UK gave me permission to post this advertisement

you will not have to look far … doesnt the govt rob drivers with the amount they pay on tax for the fuel they get

HAIRYGORILLA:
you will not have to look far … doesnt the govt rob drivers with the amount they pay on tax for the fuel they get

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i personally havny experienced this…but i have read a few stories…in truckstop news…commercial motor…and other such transport magazines…and ione was recent when a czech driver was hijacked for his load of computer equipment, and the truck found a few hours later burned out…it is well know by the police who actually label laybyes…with warning stickers saying thieves operate in this area…one of our drivers had part of a load stolen whilst he was asleep. it was in a container …on a high trailer…and he nor anybody else heard a thing…
if i was doing a story on hijackings…i would contact the west midlands police…

Im a BBC television Journalist in the UK. We are currently putting together a feature about the increasing number of lorry hijackings in the UK.
Im especially interested in hearing about any incidences of this that have happened around the East Midlands.
Is there anyone reading this that has experienced having their truck hijacked for its load?

so as a typical journalist you could turn the story round so its our fault. you would probably say we are selling the stuff out of the backs of our wagons.
personally,i think we have been zb on enough by your sort .
i for one will in no way be willing to helpyou in any way :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

i am very surprised at rikki giving his permission for this to be posted bearing in mind what happened a coupl of months back.

I fully agree with bigandy in light of our negative standing with society. Is the media now trying to go in for the final kill? It is not enough that we get fleezed, abused and discriminated against at every possible opportunity, now we have to stand trial for putting our lives on the line - for what?

Most of us work for a pittance but we are still daft enough to get out of the cab if some crook tries to open the trailer or’s pinching our fuel. How many of us lost their lives already? For how much longer do we have to take all this anyway? It is no wonder if some clever get would try to bring the blame on us with regard to lorry hijackings because we wouldn’t even dare to try to defend ourselves, would we? Now I for my part wouldn’t like to end up in prison because of GBH, Manslaughter or even murder just because somebody was threatening me with a gun or a knife in case I should have dared to defend myself.

Personally, I would call on every driver in the country to take a rest for a day. One day, folks; that is all it takes to make people see what happens if we stop driving. Just one day - 24 hours. But this one day could make the difference for us. Now honest, how many of us feel and think the same? Why are we not able to simply do it? We all know that we have a case and we all know that we would succeed if only…

Finally a word to Robinhood. Nice nickname and very apt. I am sure the police has enough material for your story so there should be no need to approach us directly. Sorry, but nobody in his right mind here is going to trust you because we are all only too aware of public opinion and our standing within society.

What a suspicious lot! I’m actually trying to do a very positive programme which would help truck drivers have their say over their experiences.
This is the only forum where i have had offensive replies. I’m sorry about your past experiences but they are nothing to do with me or our programme.
Our programme actually fights for the rights of people to be able to work without being subject to criminal activity. It’s unfortunate that you feel like this but please dont label all journalists as being the same.

nightpilot Youre right about a pittance . Where else can you get a security guard for £20 a night. I worked it out years ago, If they want to get in the back when I am sleeping its not my problem. To get mugged when you are half asleep for the dreadful nightout money you are paid isnt on the cards. I start to get responsible when the hourly rate started in the morning… As for the media ? Some are good some are bad but you don`t really know until the footage has been edited. By then, if its negative,its too late… :smiley:

Hello .yes you are correct about people being offensive,but try seeing the other side as well ,the LorryDriver --Trucker IS the person (s) mentioned when a incident happens with a heavy vehicle involved,and 85% all ways as the BADDIE,I would say to you also that the same response would be given on the website here in Germany that I use because of this mistrust.
NEWS REPORTERS,do not all ways report the facts as they really are,
please try to gain the sympathy,of the drivers and you will find that you will be given facts which may help you with your program,Have you thought of
going direct to those firms who have had such problems,yet you may find getting information hard because of the loads carried no one wishes to make themselves a target for these thieves, High value loads will all ways be a target if the goods carried can be disposed of very quickly,Hi jacking is not
a new crime as this has beengoing on since man started totransportgoods from A to B: ALL THE BESTand hope that you get a response from those here who have perhaps some knowledge to pass on,

Pssssst!! “Nine o`clock tonight at the Blue Parrot Caff.” ( Bring your striped jumper & swag bag ) :laughing:

robinhood:
. It’s unfortunate that you feel like this but please dont label all journalists as being the same.

we’ve had some bad experiences with some journalists asking question and then twisting the answers to suit their agenda

unfortunately the few rotten apples spoil it for the genuine journo’s :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

sorry, can’t help with the hijacking thing :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

crime hot beds that i know off in the midlands are . the a50 corridor from stoke to notts . mainly because drivers are sitting targets . one service area (6/ 8 truck parking max) anda two cafes to park in on a 50 mile stretch of road (40 trucks max). leaves alot of them in laybys.

a mate of mine had to have a second break between stoke and uttoxeter once (45 minutes) and in that timw whilst he was asleep in the cab some scumbag had his back door open and hanging garments stolen out of the back. he was only alerted to this by passing motorists that his back door was open.

anywhere around wendsbury and willenhall are also hot for it.

you already proberbly have it but i will point you in the direction of these guys they will help you more

operation indicate andtruckpol

jon

taken from truckpol

Attempted Hijack Rugby
At around midnight on Thursday 8th June 2006 a lorry driver carrying £20,000 of clothing had just left the M6, heading along the A426 towards the A5 when he noticed a green Rover 400 series car, possibly S-registered, flashing its headlights at him. The car pulled alongside and the passenger pointed at the lorry tyres, implying there was a problem and signalling for the driver to stop. The lorry driver continued and the Rover attempted to stop him by overtaking him on the inside, braking suddenly and eventually trying to block the road at a roundabout. The lorry managed to get by and continued on to his depot.

The occupants of the car are described as dark skinned Asian or Somalian men, one approximately 40 years old, overweight and balding, and the other 20 years old, slim, with short black hair. They may have been armed with a large knife or small machete and should not therefore be approached if seen. Please report any sightings of this vehicle or occupants to TruckPol or Crimestoppers in confidence.

Northamptonshire Lorry Hijack
A Polish lorry driver delivering a consignment of televisions and DVDs to Northampton had his vehicle and load hijacked in the early hours of the morning of Friday 24th March 2006 as he slept in his cab. Several suspects climbed into his cab after breaking a window, held him down on his bed and drove away. He was eventually transferred to a van and abandoned in a lay-by on the A58 East Langs Road, Leigh, where he managed to raise the alarm.

His tractor unit is displaying registration plate WORV387, is white and has a picture of a cow on the side of it. The trailer displays WR047J7 and is silver with a Polish address on. Both are still outstanding. Any sightings of the tractor/trailer should be reported to Crimestoppers or TruckPol in confidence.

Thefts From Moving Lorries

TruckPol is warning hauliers to be on their guard after receiving reports of thieves stealing from moving lorries in Leicestershire. Thieves will follow a lorry from a depot and climb on the rear tailgate or cross member when the lorry is at traffic lights. The door seal (if fitted) will be broken and product thrown into the road where it is collected by the following car. When the lorry slows down again further on, the thief will jump off, get back into the following car and make good his escape.

This can be prevented by fitting a good quality padlock on the rear roller shutters or barn doors. Anyone suffering thefts like this is or with information about those responsible is asked to contact Truckpol

everyday occurance , but hey people want goods but they dont want us parking our smelly trucks anywhere safe with decent amenaties that even a ■■■■■■ or murder gets. all we get is laybys not lit no facilites peeing in bottles rocking form side to side all night long because traffics flying passed at 56 / 70+ mph 6 inches to a foot away from my sleeping head.

just some of the [zb] we have to put up with on a daily basis :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

rant over :unamused:

jon

robinhood:
What a suspicious lot! I’m actually trying to do a very positive programme which would help truck drivers have their say over their experiences.
This is the only forum where i have had offensive replies. I’m sorry about your past experiences but they are nothing to do with me or our programme.
Our programme actually fights for the rights of people to be able to work without being subject to criminal activity. It’s unfortunate that you feel like this but please dont label all journalists as being the same.

Yep its a sad fact, Drivers are now very suspicious of Journalists, A question was asked about how many drivers used the likes of Red Bull to keep them awake :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Then they were slaughtered for Driving whilst tired :unamused: :unamused:

Personally I had a run in with a TV Company wanting to make a program about “Avoiding Fueds in a family Business” and low and behold, Shine TV from Kent made it into a Boss from Hell Program simply using “Selective” Editing

I spoke recently with a Journalist from Radio Newcastle (Part of the BBC) and she personally admitted that the more controversial they can make the story the better it was for the listeners, unfortunately as she put it, there is always 1 side of the story that gets the unfair view put over.

And in our Experience it is always the Drivers who are exploited :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If your looking to do a program about the Transport Industry why not make it about the Long Hours Drivers are forced to work for a pittence of a wage, which is often less than shelf stackers at ASDA get, what about the high costs of Fuel making it cheaper for foreign hauliers to do the transport in the UK, with little or no regard to public safety :question: :question: :question:

Some Foreigners also pay no road tax, no parking charges as they illegally park overnight on Motorway Slip roads,

British Drivers are the scum of the earth as far as Car Drivers are concerned, a majority would rather see trucks off the road during the day time because we cause congestion :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not the fact that pratts drive down the middle lane in their cars doing 45mph on Motorways when the inside lane is empty :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If anything, running a program about Truck Hijacking would only serve as an advert for the low lifes who aint thought about doing that yet :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks for your replies. Ive got some more info to go on now!
In response to Davey Driver, If anyone on this forum who live in the East Midlands (As we are regional Current Affairs) is willing to let us do a video diary type film about their life on the road and talk openly about the problems they face as a lorry driver then let me know.
and for what its worth, any journalist who isnt willing to make a balanced and unbiased film or makes a film that misrepresents a situation to get a good story, isnt worth their salt in my book.

robinhood:
In response to Davey Driver, If anyone on this forum who live in the East Midlands (As we are regional Current Affairs) is willing to let us do a video diary type film about their life on the road and talk openly about the problems they face as a lorry driver then let me know.
and for what its worth, any journalist who isnt willing to make a balanced and unbiased film or makes a film that misrepresents a situation to get a good story, isnt worth their salt in my book.

The BBC did it a few months back with the story "Killer in the Cab"what a complete biased one sided load of ■■■■ that was :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: about a so called condition (cant remember the name)that apparently only seems to affect lorry drivers,(or so the programme said) :unamused: :unamused: ,which makes larger build lorry drivers fall asleep at the wheel and killing people,no mention of fat car drivers doing the same,but there you go,it was a complete load of sensationalist crap aimed at making truck drivers be percieved even more in a negative light,than they are already.

robinhood:

Robinhood, I am not going to apologise for what I posted earlier because feelings ARE running high and something needs to be done to address our problems and not make them worse. Fair enough if you mean what you say but YOU need to deliver some prove. Of course there are cowboys within our trade and I see them myself virtually every day. But this is no reason to tarnish the whole lot, or is it?

So, deliver us some goods and I would be most obliged to take you with me for a day or even for a week to make you see what we - the lorry drivers - have to put up with. Sitting in a car and flooring it is no art. Driving a 40 tonne beast and make do with a load of lunatics certainly is.

robinhood:

We’ve been there too many times and yes, you are all the same. It’s amazing how you can take what someone says and with some careful editing, or scenario setting, manage to make it look as if it is in a completely different context.

I take it you DO have the permission of the site owners to post this request?

robinhood:

What’s the point? It’s been done before and had the selective snipping applied.

robinhood:

how much will bbc pay for a firstclass actor?