Lorry Hijacking

robinhood:
willing to let us do a video diary type film about their life on the road.

BBC playing catch up? That’s been done, and it was on TruckNet UK. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I personally think its a good idea and a good subject to report about. The crime of theft from trucks is on the increase, so are gassing which started in the eastern bloc many years ago and sadly found its way to our own shores. Maybe it could highlight the fact that some hauliers, british, and foreign openly advertise themselves to thieves. For example i saw a foreign truck with huge advertising on the trailer for computers and parts, and on a tautliner. the same can be said for other products that are advertised. maybe the bosses may also like to take notice that more box trailers could be used which also cuts down not only theft, but the huge cost to the industry in cut curtains. there are certainly more containers in this country now than ever used to be, and we all know they are more safer than the options we have at the moment. Of course that alone will not deter a thief if he wants a valuable load, and a hijacking is the only answer to their prayers. Maybe if hauliers were forced to pay for the parking in secure places, and outlawing the overnight parking in laybyes, then the problem will be reduced, and our safety guaranteed, (almost)

Amate of mine was gassed on spa services in B 6yrs ago. They did not take the load but all his money and cards.On being interviewed by police next morning the police said they were helpless because they were watch all the time by lookouts with m/phones .What chance have you only to strap your doors together?

one driver was robbed years ago on border Yougoslawien/bulgarien.
interesting was just that boss had three weeks later documents like carnet tir/carnet de passage,facturas,ect,ect back.
money was away which got from drivers pay as he had money to pay all cash on the road

truckyboy:
I personally think its a good idea and a good subject to report about. The crime of theft from trucks is on the increase, so are gassing which started in the eastern bloc many years ago and sadly found its way to our own shores. Maybe it could highlight the fact that some hauliers, british, and foreign openly advertise themselves to thieves. For example i saw a foreign truck with huge advertising on the trailer for computers and parts, and on a tautliner. the same can be said for other products that are advertised. maybe the bosses may also like to take notice that more box trailers could be used which also cuts down not only theft, but the huge cost to the industry in cut curtains. there are certainly more containers in this country now than ever used to be, and we all know they are more safer than the options we have at the moment. Of course that alone will not deter a thief if he wants a valuable load, and a hijacking is the only answer to their prayers. Maybe if hauliers were forced to pay for the parking in secure places, and outlawing the overnight parking in laybyes, then the problem will be reduced, and our safety guaranteed, (almost)

it can safe your and my life when gangsters go behind bars.
but you may get in trouble,why i don’t see to give a interview for a handshake and get after a reportage yourselfe as victim of a crime,just for nothing.
i am sure bbc has other possibilities to make a reportage

robinhood:
What a suspicious lot! I’m actually trying to do a very positive programme which would help truck drivers have their say over their experiences.
This is the only forum where i have had offensive replies. I’m sorry about your past experiences but they are nothing to do with me or our programme.
Our programme actually fights for the rights of people to be able to work without being subject to criminal activity. It’s unfortunate that you feel like this but please dont label all journalists as being the same.

May I apologise on behalf of my fellow truckers Robinhood they are a suspicious lot as you say and I’m glad to hear you’re the exception that proves the rule. It’s 99% of journalists who give the rest a bad name… :wink:

Thanks for all your comments-good and bad! :?
Its useful to read as much info as possible!!

robinhood I think you have been treated shabbily on here, to say the least. Come with me the next time England play & I will hijack any truck you choose.

harry:
robinhood I think you have been treated shabbily on here, to say the least. Come with me the next time England play & I will hijack any truck you choose.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:lol:

Robin,
If you weren’t going to make a program unsupportive of the road haulage industry, I’d suggest you’d be forgiven for doing so now, given the treatment you’ve received here.
I, for one, think the ranting and raving that’s gone on here in a terrible shame. In one breath, so many complain how the media have made unflattering documentaries about our industry while at the same time, effectievly accusing you of being complicit in them. Miserable old goats like Conor have been paddling this canoe for years. Ignore them.
I don’t know you, nor does anyone else here and I think it’s a bit naughty of people here for assuming that after you’ve taken the time and effort to come here and ask a legitimate question on a subject that’s close to all our hearts, you are going to go and make some horror film when they have no, repeat NO, evidence.
Shame! Way to make us look good, guys!

paul_eden:
Miserable old goats like Conor have been paddling this canoe for years. Ignore them.

You can only go on what you see and read in the media.

Conme on own up who’s nicked my wagon while I was going to reply to this topic :laughing:

Conor:

paul_eden:
Miserable old goats like Conor have been paddling this canoe for years. Ignore them.

You can only go on what you see and read in the media.

Let me put it this way;

Are all lorry drivers aggressive, ignorant, law breaking, BO reeking halfwits? No, despite what the public may think.

So, in the same vein, maybe we could give this chap the benefit of the doubt until we KNOW he’s the disreputable, quote inventing hack we all seem to think he is.

robinhood:
Hi,
Im a BBC television Journalist in the UK. We are currently putting together a feature about the increasing number of lorry hijackings in the UK.
Im especially interested in hearing about any incidences of this that have happened around the East Midlands.
Is there anyone reading this that has experienced having their truck hijacked for its load?

Thanks
p.s Rikki-UK gave me permission to post this advertisement

If you can get a copy of the Wolverhampton Express & Star 13/7/06
There is a good article on page 13 by Richard Wyatt on a plea to Highways bosses to create a secure overnight parking area in the borough by Sandwell councillor Bill Archer a former lorry driver.
This is after more than £3 million worth of vehicles and goods were stolen in the past 3 months in the West Midalnds area.

I have looked for the article on their website but it is not on there so can’t post a link.
This article is on there which was mentioned…
expressandstar.com/articles/ … _91479.php

I hope that helps.

Forgot to add… :blush:
It’s not the East Midlands but near enough! :smiley: