Lorry driver who killed motorist on A164 cleared after court

thisishullandeastriding.co.u … story.html

A LORRY driver who killed a motorist has been cleared of causing death by dangerous driving after his trial collapsed.

It followed the revelation by a police collision investigator that the driver had a shorter stopping distance than he had put in his report.

​TRIAL OVER: Lorry driver Robert Bulmer was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving.

TRIAL OVER: Lorry driver Robert Bulmer was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving.

Robert Bulmer, 57, has admitted killing University of Hull employee Julie Watson, 41, by crashing into her car as she waited at traffic lights on the A164 at Jock’s Lodge, close to Beverley.

Bulmer, who worked for Eddie Stobart, smashed into Mrs Watson’s VW Beetle on May 23 last year.

He pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, saying his vision was obscured by the sun.

Prosecutor Mark McKone yesterday dropped the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

The Crown Prosecution Service’s case had been that Bulmer had 285m to stop before hitting Mrs Watson’s car and would have had 24 seconds to react.

But during the trial Humberside Police investigator Ian Charlton revealed he was not qualified at the time of the accident and conceded Bulmer could have had less then seven seconds to react, instead of 24.

The Honorary Recorder of Hull and the East Riding, Judge Michael Mettyear, said: "This was an extremely weak case from the start and, in my view, it has got weaker during the progress of the prosecution evidence.

"The Crown has a continuing duty throughout a case to consider the law and evidence as it comes out to assess whether they should be asking a jury to convict. Quite frankly the jury will not convict in this case.

"Dangerous driving is reserved for to people racing each other and drinking. It is a very serious offence and I did express some doubt that this was a case of careless driving some time ago.

“We have had witness after witness saying his driving was perfectly normal.”

Mr McKone told the jury he had consulted with Mrs Watson’s family, the police and the CPS prior to dropping the charge.

He said: “None of us would wish to seek a conviction on death by dangerous driving.”

Bulmer’s barrister John Farmer criticised the police for placing Mr Charlton in charge of the accident investigation when he was not qualified.

He only qualified in December.

In cross-examination of Mr Charlton, Mr Farmer said: “You were unqualified at the start.”

Mr Charlton said: “I had been in training for 18 months. All the reports have been verified. I was guided through it.”

Judge Mettyear ordered a presentence report to be prepared on Bulmer, of Malton, and he will be sentenced next month.

Mrs Watson, of North Ferriby, was the director of membership services and human resources at the University of Hull’s Students’ Union.

She raised money for charity, completing several marathons.

Her husband John told the Mail her organs have been used to save the lives of three people.

Another sad case with no winners :cry:

bald bloke:
Another sad case with no winners :cry:

My thoughts exactly.

Two ordinary people going about their business and tragedy strikes. It could happen to any of us at any time.

Our thoughts are with all those concerned.

ive been told a bit about this case,the sun blinding him as he came round bend[is there a bend before traffic lights :question: ,cant visulise this stretch of road],from what i was told they reconstructed this accident and sun did blind them,but then youd ask the question why every one else using that stretch of road hasnt run into the back of the car stopped at these set of traffic lights,if its known about as some are claiming has any action been taken,i.e have they put a sign there warning you of the possibility of being blinded by sun.hes no spring chicken so has he used this road before,how many times,has he been blinded before,if so why wasnt he more carefull.
maybe its just me,but it just doesnt sit right,there all saying he was driving normal,but if so youd not pile into the back of a stationary car at set of traffic lights,how many times does it happen on motorways,everyone says tailgating,driving to fast for conditions etc,etc,this chap runs into the back of a stationary car at traffic lights killing the lass and every ones saying he was driving normally,if you were driving normally youd stop id of thought.
if i ever do the same,god forbid ,id be expecting to go down for a long stretch,sun or no sun

waddy640:
Two ordinary people going about their business and tragedy strikes. It could happen to any of us at any time.

Our thoughts are with all those concerned.

+1

ady1:
ive been told a bit about this case,the sun blinding him as he came round bend[is there a bend before traffic lights :question: ,cant visulise this stretch of road],from what i was told they reconstructed this accident and sun did blind them,but then youd ask the question why every one else using that stretch of road hasnt run into the back of the car stopped at these set of traffic lights,if its known about as some are claiming has any action been taken,i.e have they put a sign there warning you of the possibility of being blinded by sun.hes no spring chicken so has he used this road before,how many times,has he been blinded before,if so why wasnt he more carefull.
maybe its just me,but it just doesnt sit right,there all saying he was driving normal,but if so youd not pile into the back of a stationary car at set of traffic lights,how many times does it happen on motorways,everyone says tailgating,driving to fast for conditions etc,etc,this chap runs into the back of a stationary car at traffic lights killing the lass and every ones saying he was driving normally,if you were driving normally youd stop id of thought.
if i ever do the same,god forbid ,id be expecting to go down for a long stretch,sun or no sun

Yes, but he was convicted of causing death by careless driving. Causing death by dangerous driving is a different charge, which involves wanton recklessness, and this was presumably felt to be absent in this case.

Harry Monk:

ady1:

Yes, but he was convicted of causing death by careless driving. Causing death by dangerous driving is a different charge, which involves wanton recklessness, and this was presumably felt to be absent in this case.

well will have to agree to disagree,to me if you run straight into the back of some poor lass stationary at a set of traffic lights killing her then thats dangerous driving,careless is when you clip a car,knock a wing mirror of when reversing onto a bay etc,etc,pilling into the back of a stationary car at a set of traffic lights killing the lass is dangerous driving,as i said earlier if i ever do it,god forbid id fully expect the book to be thrown at me,go down for a long stretch,id of not been careless i.m.o.h.o by killing the women,id of been down right dangerous pilling into her at a set of traffic lights,i know a bit,but its all second hand so maybe/maybe not true,but so im led to believe he didnt just bump into the back of her :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,ill leave it that now,but as i say if it was me id fully expect a long stretch for this
and as for everyone saying he was driving normally,im sorry but he wasnt,if he was driving normally hed have stopped
i know hes a fellow driver,and were all meant to stick together,but not in this case for me,id expect to get sent down,id expect the lasses family to hate/condem me,id expect other drivers to condem me,and to be honest id feel myself i deserve everything comming my way.
lass went out,stopped at traffic lights,truck pilled into her,killing her ,least youd expect is dangerous driving ,long stretch

ady1:
well will have to agree to disagree,to me if you run straight into the back of some poor lass stationary at a set of traffic lights killing her then thats dangerous driving,careless is when you clip a car,knock a wing mirror of when reversing onto a bay etc,etc,pilling into the back of a stationary car at a set of traffic lights killing the lass is dangerous driving,as i said earlier if i ever do it,god forbid id fully expect the book to be thrown at me,go down for a long stretch,id of not been careless i.m.o.h.o by killing the women,id of been down right dangerous pilling into her at a set of traffic lights

Then it’s a good job that such cases are tried by a judge and jury and not by “some idiot on the internet”.

Harry Monk:

ady1:
well will have to agree to disagree,to me if you run straight into the back of some poor lass stationary at a set of traffic lights killing her then thats dangerous driving,careless is when you clip a car,knock a wing mirror of when reversing onto a bay etc,etc,pilling into the back of a stationary car at a set of traffic lights killing the lass is dangerous driving,as i said earlier if i ever do it,god forbid id fully expect the book to be thrown at me,go down for a long stretch,id of not been careless i.m.o.h.o by killing the women,id of been down right dangerous pilling into her at a set of traffic lights

Then it’s a good job that such cases are tried by a judge and jury and not by “some idiot on the internet”.

that right you give him a pat on the back and a job well done :unamused: :unamused:

I’m actually suprised that the driver of a car would be killed when a truck struck the rear of the car at a max of 40mph due to sunlight blinding the driver.

I clicked the link and tried to find more information, such as truck shoved car out into busy dual carriageway etc.

Anyone else think this seems a little ‘off’■■

I really feel for the guy, and that’s why I refuse to drive a truck for ‘shelf stacker’ money, I’ve done jobs for low hourly rate, but they always include time where I’ll be sat around for hours, so the actual driving hours are not the majority of the shift, if they were, I’d rather flip burgers at macadee’s.

waynedl:
I’m actually suprised that the driver of a car would be killed when a truck struck the rear of the car at a max of 40mph due to sunlight blinding the driver.

I clicked the link and tried to find more information, such as truck shoved car out into busy dual carriageway etc.

I really feel for the guy, and that’s why I refuse to drive a truck for ‘shelf stacker’ money, I’ve done jobs for low hourly rate, but they always include time where I’ll be sat around for hours, so the actual driving hours are not the majority of the shift, if they were, I’d rather flip burgers at macadee’s.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: he ran into the BACK of her at a set of traffic lights,she was stationary,your feeling should be for the poor lass who was KILLED,the poor lass will never see the light of day again,shell not spend many happy hours with her family,this bloke will eventually walk free and spend time with his family,unlike her,i think our thoughts should be with her,not him,he deserves what hes going to get and more

ady1:
that right you give him a pat on the back and a job well done :unamused: :unamused:

The Honorary Recorder of Hull and the East Riding, Judge Michael Mettyear, said: "This was an extremely weak case from the start and, in my view, it has got weaker during the progress of the prosecution evidence.

"The Crown has a continuing duty throughout a case to consider the law and evidence as it comes out to assess whether they should be asking a jury to convict. Quite frankly the jury will not convict in this case.

"Dangerous driving is reserved for to people racing each other and drinking. It is a very serious offence and I did express some doubt that this was a case of careless driving some time ago.

Mr McKone told the jury he had consulted with Mrs Watson’s family, the police and the CPS prior to dropping the charge.

He said: “None of us would wish to seek a conviction on death by dangerous driving.”

The thing is, Ady1, that in this country justice is dispensed by a judge and jury in a Court of Law and not by some 1890’s type Mississippi lynch mob. If the victim’s own family would not seek a conviction for death by dangerous driving- and presumably they are far more acquainted with the case than you or I- then why would you seek a “justice” for them which they do not seek for themselves?

Harry Monk:

ady1:

The thing is, Ady1, that in this country justice is dispensed by a judge and jury in a Court of Law and not by some 1890’s type Mississippi lynch mob. If the victim’s own family would not seek a conviction for death by dangerous driving- and presumably they are far more acquainted with the case than you or I- then why would you seek a “justice” for them which they do not seek for themselves?

how do you know how they really feel :question: you dont,i dont,id guess theyve just resigned themselfs to the fact what ever happens to the lorry driver there lass wont be comming back,but that doesnt alter the fact ive a opinion /as you have on whats happened and my opinion is thats he should be done for dangerous driving,banged up for a long stretch,i mean this begs the question what do you need to do to get done for to get convicted of dangerous driving :question:
as for your glad theres judges /juries doing the court cases in this country :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,every day theres outrage over some judge/jury sentance,or complete lack of sentance,judges saying there not allowed to convict,mp,s saying the laws need changing,im sorry but ive no faith in the justice system in this country,and this case just confirms it.
i understand why your all trying to defend him,feel sorry for him[fellow driver],but i cant,he killed her,no two ways about it,and he should pay the penalty for it,id expect it if i was the driver of that truck,and id deserve it

ady1:

waynedl:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: he ran into the BACK of her at a set of traffic lights,she was stationary,your feeling should be for the poor lass who was KILLED,the poor lass will never see the light of day again,shell not spend many happy hours with her family,this bloke will eventually walk free and spend time with his family,unlike her,i think our thoughts should be with her,not him,he deserves what hes going to get and more

jesus christ the poor driver didnt dio it intentionally,drivers under constant pressure to make timed deliveries etc etc, working for rubbish rates and one lapse of concentration and people like yourself screaming to have him jailed, it was an accident pure and simple

ady1:
i understand why your all trying to defend him,feel sorry for him[fellow driver],but i cant,he killed her,no two ways about it,and he should pay the penalty for it,id expect it if i was the driver of that truck,and id deserve it

It’s nothing to do with him being a “fellow driver”. It’s to do with the fact that the people who have been giving, and listening to, the evidence are probably in a better position to pass judgement than you.

He pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, and will be sentenced for that.

Well after reading this topic i have to agree with ady1,i dont think you can really be excused for running into a standing queue of traffic,any driver worth is salt should and always be extra careful when being blinded by the sun and if ya on a unfamilar road,to kill that lady he must have ploughed into her car and not just hit it,every driver out there has at some time made an error of judgement,i have and ive stood up when asked what was that about ive admitted it was my mistake,that poor girl as lost her life and a husband as lost his wife and it will no dought stay with them and the driver until there dying day,its sad all round but just to repeat there no excuse for ploughing into stationery traffic,you drive to the conditions,i also would expect to be dealt with if i ever done the same and i hope and pray i never do…my thoughts go out to that girls family and hope that one day they can come to terms with whats happened and also the driver because he will have to live with what he"s done…another tragic case all round…

MO(Topgun):
Well after reading this topic i have to agree with ady1,i dont think you can really be excused for running into a standing queue of traffic,any driver worth is salt should and always be extra careful when being blinded by the sun and if ya on a unfamilar road,to kill that lady he must have ploughed into her car and not just hit it,every driver out there has at some time made an error of judgement,i have and ive stood up when asked what was that about ive admitted it was my mistake,that poor girl as lost her life and a husband as lost his wife and it will no dought stay with them and the driver until there dying day,its sad all round but just to repeat there no excuse for ploughing into stationery traffic,you drive to the conditions,i also would expect to be dealt with if i ever done the same and i hope and pray i never do…my thoughts go out to that girls family and hope that one day they can come to terms with whats happened and also the driver because he will have to live with what he"s done…another tragic case all round…

Well, you know what Stobart’s are like Mo, they will employ any idiot.

No offence.

markwill:

ady1:

waynedl:

jesus christ the poor driver didnt dio it intentionally,drivers under constant pressure to make timed deliveries etc etc, working for rubbish rates and one lapse of concentration and people like yourself screaming to have him jailed, it was an accident pure and simple

F.F.S were now saying he ran into the back of here because of the PRESSURE hes under,■■■■■■■■,i drive the same trucks as he does,the same firm,there is no pressure unless you believe the ■■■■■■■■ on the t.v about time critical deliveries etc,you get there when you get there,if your delayed you just ring up d/l-c/s and inform them of delay/eta if you know it and theyll inform customer,you then get there when you get there,TIME CRITICAL DELIVERIES is just t.v ■■■■■■■■,
as for poor fella,theres some POOR lass whos zb DEAD ,DEAD,tes zbDEAD ,shes the poor soul in this not him.
my views will never change,id expect to be banged up for piling into a stationart car killing some poor lass,so i think he should expect the same,yes accident do happen,but piling into a stationary car[big red traffic lights blazing at you] ,accident,no,thats dangerous driving,at the least,it ought to be murder to be honest
i wonder if youd all have the same views if it was your lass,mum,girl sat in that car,would you say POOR TRIUCK driver,i bet you wouldnt if you were truthfull,i know i wouldnt.

Harry Monk:
Well, you know what Stobart’s are like Mo, they will employ any idiot.

No offence.

Pay peanuts you get…

…mo and ady