Lorry driver jailed for 14years for drug smuggling

I think 14 years when he admitted it is a bit harsh and £2000 seems a bit low to bring it in

taken from kent online

Lorry driver Peter Horton stopped at Dover’s Eastern Docks with £2.5m of drugs hidden in frozen spinach

A lorry driver hid more than £2.5 m worth of drugs underneath a consignment of frozen spinach bound for Ashford.

Peter Horton, a 44-year-old father of three, was stopped at Dover’s Eastern Docks in June last year driving a lorry and trailer.

He told customs officers he had been to Belgium and was heading for Ashford to deliver frozen vegetables — but when officials searched the load they found quantities of heroin and cocaine.

Prosecutor Denzil Pugh told Canterbury Crown Court that the Class A drugs had a street value in excess of £2.5m.

Horton, who lives near York, admitted he had been offered £2,000 to bring in the illicit load, which he claimed he thought were cigarettes.

But the judge Recorder Colin Reese QC rejected his claim and jailed him for 14 years, telling him: “You knew what you were doing in bringing in a significant quantity of drugs into the UK.”

Horton, who looked stunned at the long sentence, had admitted charges of drug smuggling.

Limeyphil’s been a bit quiet today :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sentence seems a bit strong considering a dealer will only 9-10 and serve about 4- 5

Deserves every day and then some.the misery that heroin brings to every community in Britain.

martyh:
sentence seems a bit strong considering a dealer will only 9-10 and serve about 4- 5

yes, but, a dealer won’t have that much at any time, and can only be prosecuted for what he has got

RIZZO101:
Deserves every day and then some.the misery that heroin brings to every community in Britain.

I completely agree.

He’d have nearly got less for murder, but I would have jailed him for carrying spinach…

Ken.

RIZZO101:

Completely agree, well said!

As an international truck driver you know that when you offer to take ANYTHING in your vehicle through a border without declaring it to customs that it’s gonna be illegal.So when someone offers you money,be it a fiver or £50000 you can be sure its something which is high risk.Yes,the penalty was severe but if he’d got away with it he’d be down the pub telling everyone how clever he was.
He should be thankful it wasn’t Turkey,Iran or Morocco.

pip2209:

RIZZO101:

Not gonna make any difference though it is? Until society can start having a sensible adult discussion about drugs then nothing will change. My personal view is drugs should be legalised which allow proper controls to be in place.

switchlogic:

pip2209:

RIZZO101:

Not gonna make any difference though it is? Until society can start having a sensible adult discussion about drugs then nothing will change. My personal view is drugs should be legalised which allow proper controls to be in place.

Well said young man I totally agree…

I agree heroine is the work of the devil.
But if you are a serial ■■■■■■ you get less than that and in my eyes, ■■■■, murder, battery, arsen, and manslaughter for drink driving is 100 times worse than drug running yet they hand out softer sentences.

I wouldn’t worry too much. He’ll be out in 3 years with a tag round his ankle :unamused:

He got caught, he admitted it he got sentenced!!! Lesson to everyone as said previous in above post.

End of thread really but will keep tabs as I suspect it will go to 3 or 4 pages :unamused:

result i say
Switch grow up…thats a zb idea, enforce the law, stuff liberal hogwash

No one forces anyone to take drugs if you get hooked on them serves you right for being stupid :open_mouth:

ajt:
I wouldn’t worry too much. He’ll be out in 3 years with a tag round his ankle :unamused:

doubt it, a parole hearing after 9 or 10 and thats not a definite he will get out he could do the full 14

switchlogic:

pip2209:

RIZZO101:

If don’t really think there is a sensible discussion to be had about heroin being legalised, if you’ve ever known and seen someone when they have a full blown heroin addiction I think you would agree.

hitch:
Switch grow up…thats a zb idea, enforce the law, stuff liberal hogwash

Because pushing the drug issue under the carpet not to be talked about is the adult thing to do of course. Me grow up?

RIZZO101:
if you’ve ever known and seen someone when they have a full blown heroin addiction I think you would agree.

You don’t know what I’ve seen or experienced. It being illegal does not solve anything, just pushes it into the shadows, criminalises people that need help and stops them seeking that help.