Lorries you wish you’d had the chance to drive!

How ever many dozens of different wagons we’ve driven over our working lives, there are always those marginal models we secretly hankered for at some time or other. Happily, I got to drive most of my favourites, but here are a few pictures of models I would like to have driven. What are yours? Robert :slight_smile:

5716922972_70f222bf3e.jpg
2805848755_small_1.jpg
marathon06.png

ERF “European” or Marathon, both with “silly horsepower” ■■■■■■■ and Fuller gearbox.

I’ve driven all my fantasy trucks, but some times they should remain a fantasy as reality often doesn’t measure up to what you expect…

I’ve also met some of my heroes and often worked along side them… quite often the same result…

Jeff…

Retired Old ■■■■:
ERF “European” or Marathon, both with “silly horsepower” ■■■■■■■ and Fuller gearbox.

Spot on! I forgot to include my favourite - the ERF ‘European’ NGC - because I drove one off-road; but here’s a pic. Robert :smiley:

Pete 387 and a Volvo VN.

images (2).jpg

download.jpg

I would also love to drive a k100 and leyland marathon and probably every orther lorry from that era and a scania l,ls,lt,lb,146 and volvo n86,n88,f88 290 and f7 and daf 2800 and nat nnt

th.jpeg

Nice! Robert :smiley:

Here you go IL… some of the K 1’s I’ve driven…

Jeff…

For me it’s the legendary 141, I had a 111 so got the cab box ticked and had 142, 143 and 144, so got the engine box ticked, but never got the chance to tick one box containing both.

I’ve pretty much driven all them other iconic lorries, from a 290 88 (my dads) a Transcon (as Jeff said, sometimes it’s better not meeting your heroes) I owned nearly all the big BHP 80s/90s lorries F16, 143, 48 TurboStar (missed out on a 48 Merc) and then on to the long nose blinged up Peterbilt, each was special in its own right, but none of them were as special as the 141 was in its day.

I wouldn’t mind a go in a K100 flat top with a two stroke Detroit, revving the nuts off one of them in a tunnel would be fun :sunglasses:

newmercman:
For me it’s the legendary 141, I had a 111 so got the cab box ticked and had 142, 143 and 144, so got the engine box ticked, but never got the chance to tick one box containing both.

I’ve pretty much driven all them other iconic lorries, from a 290 88 (my dads) a Transcon (as Jeff said, sometimes it’s better not meeting your heroes) I owned nearly all the big BHP 80s/90s lorries F16, 143, 48 TurboStar (missed out on a 48 Merc) and then on to the long nose blinged up Peterbilt, each was special in its own right, but none of them were as special as the 141 was in its day.

I wouldn’t mind a go in a K100 flat top with a two stroke Detroit, revving the nuts off one of them in a tunnel would be fun :sunglasses:

You and Jelliot are right about ‘false friends’ among the expectations; and about half-met expectations among the Scanias. The first artic I drove after passing my test was a Scania 80. I was expecting it to be like a 140 because it sort of looked like one; but what a pile of crap it was! I hopped from that into a Ford D-series V8 unit and I swear it pulled better up the M2 at 32-tonnes than the damned Scanny! Robert :laughing:

Like many on here I’ve been fortunate, if that’s the word, to have started driving in the era of ‘classic’ trucks. Firstly on local work in 1965 driving Bedfords, bonneted TJ, TK plus an ex army petrol QL on lime spreading, the ubiquitous Thames Trader (liked that, it had a heater that worked). Austin/Morris in tipper and flatbed guise. In 1967 I ‘graduated’ to UK long distance firstly with a 20 ton 6 legger Albion Reiver in the days of the LAD cab (that had a heater although there was no discernable heat from it if the outside temperature fell below about 10C) moving on to B series ERF and Atki 8 leggers with Gardner lumps. Then came the Guy Big J plated at 32 ton, again with a Gardner 180, but probably with rose coloured hindsight that was one of my favourites. The list includes Ford D series (6 cylinder and the D1000 V8), Scammel, Leyland, AEC, DAF, Berliet, MAN, Volvo (FL, F, FH), Iveco Turbostar and Scania. But to return to the topic subject I have never driven a Transcon, have never even sat in one, always wanted to try one. As said in earlier posts it may well be that the reality would fall well short of the expectation but if anyone has one I still have the licence . . . . . :sunglasses:

An Atki with a Gardner 150 and a ZF box. WE had one at Fred Chappells in '62 and I was never allowed to get my hands on it. I’ve no idea how we got it or from where, but for it’s day as an 8 wheel tipper it was a grand bit of kit.

MrJake:
Like many on here I’ve been fortunate, if that’s the word, to have started driving in the era of ‘classic’ trucks. Firstly on local work in 1965 driving Bedfords, bonneted TJ, TK plus an ex army petrol QL on lime spreading, the ubiquitous Thames Trader (liked that, it had a heater that worked). Austin/Morris in tipper and flatbed guise. In 1967 I ‘graduated’ to UK long distance firstly with a 20 ton 6 legger Albion Reiver in the days of the LAD cab (that had a heater although there was no discernable heat from it if the outside temperature fell below about 10C) moving on to B series ERF and Atki 8 leggers with Gardner lumps. Then came the Guy Big J plated at 32 ton, again with a Gardner 180, but probably with rose coloured hindsight that was one of my favourites. The list includes Ford D series (6 cylinder and the D1000 V8), Scammel, Leyland, AEC, DAF, Berliet, MAN, Volvo (FL, F, FH), Iveco Turbostar and Scania. But to return to the topic subject I have never driven a Transcon, have never even sat in one, always wanted to try one. As said in earlier posts it may well be that the reality would fall well short of the expectation but if anyone has one I still have the licence . . . . . :sunglasses:

You wouldn’t have been disappointed: the ■■■■■■■ - Fuller set-up in the Transcon was second to none! Robert :smiley:

robert1952:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Spot on! I forgot to include my favourite - the ERF ‘European’ NGC - because I drove one off-road; but here’s a pic. Robert :smiley:

Maybe Richard would put one together for me & spray it in my colours?
Purely as a gesture of good will, of course! :wink:

Hiya…I’d have to go for the Atkinson…only because i,ve never seen one yet along drive one…ERF,s i,ve moved
most at some time or other except the european…i worked for a year moving second hand trucks from auctions
and yards to docks and things so pretty well everything in the 60/70 and 80 ive driven. i had my own 3300 space cab
(i know many drivers would like to drive one of them). F89,s to many to count white road commanders and
Macks (not quite so many) i.ve had a play with… only ever one bonneted lorry a Diamond T. no slow down!!! a
couple of austins and bedfords from the 50,s when i messed around in a timber yard before i left school.
plenty of RR,s recks and relics…yes i know…

I was fortunate to drive most makes and models from the mid-60’s to the mid-70s, and a few older ones from the late '50s when they had seen better days. Given the enthusiasm of youth I enjoyed probaby 65% of them, the others were an experience best glossed over. The ones I missed out on in that era that I would have loved to have driven were the AEC Mandator V8 and the Leyland 2-Pedal Beaver. I’ve driven restored examples of both, but it’s not the same as being fully freighted on a proper driving job.

gingerfold:
I was fortunate to drive most makes and models from the mid-60’s to the mid-70s, and a few older ones from the late '50s when they had seen better days. Given the enthusiasm of youth I enjoyed probaby 65% of them, the others were an experience best glossed over. The ones I missed out on in that era that I would have loved to have driven were the AEC Mandator V8 and the Leyland 2-Pedal Beaver. I’ve driven restored examples of both, but it’s not the same as being fully freighted on a proper driving job.

I once heard of a driver’s wife who was reputed to have a two-pedal beaver but that’s probably best glossed over… Robert :laughing:

Like most of the older lads on here, I’ve driven the classics, and just about everything inbetween, from the humble D800 / Big J to the F88 / F89 to the F12 / Transconti…but below is the lorry I would love to have driven, saw them a lot in the '70’s, they’re just so French…the faboulus Bernard

or something like this, with a big bonnet…

Sadly, never got to drive either…

robert1952:

gingerfold:

I once heard of a driver’s wife who was reputed to have a two-pedal beaver but that’s probably best glossed over… Robert :laughing:

Robert would it not have needed a under coat first :blush: :unamused: :smiley:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

I was quite lucky as I did drive most of what I would have liked to drive, the only thing I can think of is Mack (or Yankee Atki ) and I never drove a V8 Scania but I was never a Scania fan anyway
cheers Johnnie :wink: