Lorries you wish you’d had the chance to drive!

a

hey, all the once I never drove loaded or not for a living, and never will do :blush: ,but was in as a little monkey. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Eric,

My child-hood idols.jpg

Retired Old ■■■■:
ERF “European” or Marathon, both with “silly horsepower” ■■■■■■■ and Fuller gearbox.

will this one do Rof ,it’s fitted with I’am sure it’s a 350 ■■■■■■■ twin splitter or 13 speed and a big eaton or rockwell ,I’ve met the owner a few times ,I think it is also the larger cab .i don’t know what the donor lorry was .

I am probably odd (yes, I know, a few members will confirm that statement!) but I never had any ambition to drive anything other than what I was entrusted with. Just a tool for a job, it just so happened that, apart from two years, I spent my time driving one make only. Boring, that’s me? :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
I am probably odd (yes, I know, a few members will confirm that statement!) but I never had any ambition to drive anything other than what I was entrusted with. Just a tool for a job, it just so happened that, apart from two years, I spent my time driving one make only. Boring, that’s me? :laughing:

Pete.

What!? I wish someone had told me that when I signed up for the job all those years ago! Good grief, I always thought that lorries were designed to be fun to drive; that they were only there to be toys for us boys; that they were there to be the ultimate extensions of the willies that were already our high-performance cars! Sigh. Oh Windrush, I had no idea that there were actual grown-ups on this forum! Never mind (ma’alesh!) I’m sure that there are a few ERF NGC ‘Europeans’ in Paradise to keep some of us happy…Robert :laughing: :smiley: :laughing:

Slightly off thread but show me a photo of an old Saviem JM240 and I seem to get this strong sensation of the smell of Gauloises cigarettes, and I haven’t driven one, most weird!!

Ossie

Any AEC preferably a mkv mammoth major but any would have been good ,the nearest i got to driving one was a Marathon with a E290 ■■■■■■■ and that was on a W plate so would more than likely have been built at Watford or the Midlands , i was only 18 when i had an illegal drive of the Marathon :wink:

I mentioned some of the lorries I’d like to have driven with the hindsight of a ‘mature’ driver; however, I would like to mention that if I return to my boy-hood dreams, I’d love to get behind the wheel of a Mark 3 AEC Mammoth Major. Robert :smiley:

Jelliot:
Here you go IL… some of the K 1’s I’ve driven…

Jeff…

Come off it, Jeff, they’re not lorries, they’re mobile villages!

Dan Punchard:

Retired Old ■■■■:
ERF “European” or Marathon, both with “silly horsepower” ■■■■■■■ and Fuller gearbox.

will this one do Rof ,it’s fitted with I’am sure it’s a 350 ■■■■■■■ twin splitter or 13 speed and a big eaton or rockwell ,I’ve met the owner a few times ,I think it is also the larger cab .i don’t know what the donor lorry was .

That would do until the cab rusted away, Dan. It seems to have a bit of an identity crisis, judging by all the badges. And before anyone gets the spray gun out, I could do with a few more horses if I’m going to put a load behind it!

Tell me Jelliot, what time is it where you are?

The ‘old ■■■■■ society - retired’ in the Northern hemisphere, are getting ready for bed having consumed more alcohol than is good for us (well, those not on tablets)

Surely you should be driving?

John

SCANIA 142 end of story going to bed to dream :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

John West:
Tell me Jelliot, what time is it where you are?

The ‘old ■■■■■ society - retired’ in the Northern hemisphere, are getting ready for bed having consumed more alcohol than is good for us (well, those not on tablets)

Surely you should be driving?

John

Well, Jelliot, you’ve told us what you enjoyed driving, but this thread is about what you wish you’d driven! Spill the beans old bean! Robert :smiley:

To add to my wish list, I would still like to have a go of a real heavy haulage outfit, not really fussed about what’s pulling it as I think the best looking heavy haul unit was the F16, especially with a big stripey bumper a la Heanor Haulage and I have driven an F16. This is more about the trailer and it would ideally be one of those mahoosive girder trailers for carting generators around.

this one, i was 16 just left school,it was brand new, dad painted it for Calor Gas, and i got to sit in it , never even got to shunt with it. LHD, 335 ■■■■■■■■ fuller roadranger. still the tops for me.

@ Tony J: excellent choice!!
@ Newmercman: is this the one you mean?
Robert

I have always driven what I have been given. I value something that is strong and reliable over something with power and luxury. I’d like to take the CCC out in difficult conditions and see if it was last truck standing. It looks tough enough to take to any quarry and have some fun.

robert1952:
@ Tony J: excellent choice!!
@ Newmercman: is this the one you mean?
Robert

Yeah that’s the one, it has a very heavy duty look about it don’t you think.

ChrisArbon:
I have always driven what I have been given. I value something that is strong and reliable over something with power and luxury. I’d like to take the CCC out in difficult conditions and see if it was last truck standing. It looks tough enough to take to any quarry and have some fun.

I think that’s a CCC ‘General’ isn’t it, Chris? I too, wouldn’t mind a crack at a CCC but my choice would be one of those ‘Nahangs’ they made for export to Iran. Robert :smiley:

export CCC Nahang.bmp.jpg

When I left driving I had a 4 speed Leyland Terrier. I lusted after a 5 speed. When you set your sights that low you’d think the man upstairs would spare ONE little sunbeam. NOTHING!! Mind you, I drove a FG to Scotland with a V8 for a Terex TS24 on the back so the Terrier was a foxing real man’s wagon. Jim - A welder for the rest of his life.