Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Punchy Dan:
13 speed fuller fitted

Thanks for the correction. Still impressive! Robert

newmercman:
That goes back to what I said earlier about needing to do a really fast one motion shift or a slower two movement with a blip of te throttle to feed it in. I owned my 48, guess which method I used…

Next video up after that was of a 190-48 racing a 530 Scania, the TurboStar ■■■■■■ all over the Scania. Having had both, I knew it would. I still say that my old 520 EuroStar is the best pulling lorry I’ve ever driven, I would put it against the 550 CAT I’ve got now with no fear.

My Pete had the mx unit and a lot of the other drivers turned it down because of extolling the cat, the odd times I drove a cat I found them making a lot of noise and lacked pull compared to the mx…c18 excluded of course…the thing with scania v8’s though is how they are set up, ratio etc I’m no mechanic but I was very lucky to drive a 164 580, to me easily the best puller but it was also mapped or had been programmed to do so i assume…it could pull away in high range bobtail allegedly lol, and accelate so fast it would throw you back in seats…I can’t imagine a euro trash I mean STAR, having a better pedigree technological advantage over a Scania given the same team made the interior out of the same grade of plastic as a kinder egg…

Ahhh but the Big FIAT V8 was a mechanical engine, no electronics anywhere apart from the starter motor and alternator, the only way to get more power from one was to start changing cams and injectors, unlike an EDC engine that can be tweaked with a few taps on a keyboard.

As for the MX, my one is set at 510hp with 1850lbs/ft torque, I’ve never driven it with a trailer or trailers behind it, so can’t comment, but its driver says it pulls like a train compared to the Volvo with 500hp and the same torque he had before, it goes over hills in top that had you swapping cogs (13 of Mr Fuller’s) in the Volvo. It does have slightly lower gearing which will help of course, but not to the extent he describes.

newmercman:
Ahhh but the Big FIAT V8 was a mechanical engine, no electronics anywhere apart from the starter motor and alternator, the only way to get more power from one was to start changing cams and injectors, unlike an EDC engine that can be tweaked with a few taps on a keyboard.

As for the MX, my one is set at 510hp with 1850lbs/ft torque, I’ve never driven it with a trailer or trailers behind it, so can’t comment, but its driver says it pulls like a train compared to the Volvo with 500hp and the same torque he had before, it goes over hills in top that had you swapping cogs (13 of Mr Fuller’s) in the Volvo. It does have slightly lower gearing which will help of course, but not to the extent he describes.

Also bearing in mind the old Scania V8’s were smaller capacity motors than the big Fiat.The latest 16.4 litre 730 Scania lump would be a different kettle of fish and that’s what should go in the Pete bolted to an 18 speed Fuller given the choice. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Also bearing in mind the old Scania V8’s were smaller capacity motors than the big Fiat.The latest 16.4 litre 730 Scania lump would be a different kettle of fish and that’s what should go in the Pete bolted to an 18 speed Fuller given the choice. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

That is a very valid point and one I had a pipe dream about…when looking at being an o/o, Scania sell marine engines here in canada, up to 1100 hp without the emissions garb fitted etc, thought about a glider with it down tuned to around 900 perhaps…what a shame paccar never bought Scania what a legendary combination that would have been…

newmercman:

I would have liked a go in the fiat v8, but i think they were quite rare sadly, I actually liked the look of the last generation, they were a huge tall menacing looking tractor and when you look how euro tractors evolved today, hey we’re ahead of the game and very modern in appearance…shame you don’t see them on classic circuit too.

I was amazed how well the mx pulled to be honest, the pete had a 4.10 ratio with d/o 18 speed
Full lock ups to help off road, it never got stuck, would pull strong on grades right down to 1100 rpm and the best bit, was so quiet in the cab…to me that truck was valhalla…although the 4 airhorns were a bit dissapointing, I think a good Indian curry the night before created louder sounds…

An interesting concept, hmmm, I wonder if I could buy an older 379 with a blown engine, yank it out and replace it with a marine Scania V8. It would be a lot of work, engine mounts, bellhousing, wiring harnesses etc. But, it would surely be worth the aggro just for the sound of the thing alone.

Thinking about it, a 362 cabover would be a much better donor vehicle.

newmercman:
An interesting concept, hmmm, I wonder if I could buy an older 379 with a blown engine, yank it out and replace it with a marine Scania V8. It would be a lot of work, engine mounts, bellhousing, wiring harnesses etc. But, it would surely be worth the aggro just for the sound of the thing alone.

Thinking about it, a 362 cabover would be a much better donor vehicle.

Holly cow, !!! now we are talking that would be one hell of a legacy truck… I don’t think it’s ever been done before either…not to tempt you but there is a Scania marine dealer in winnipeg…!

rsg1234567:
That is a very valid point and one I had a pipe dream about…when looking at being an o/o, Scania sell marine engines here in canada, up to 1100 hp without the emissions garb fitted etc, thought about a glider with it down tuned to around 900 perhaps…what a shame paccar never bought Scania what a legendary combination that would have been…

^
Surely someone just has to do this assuming all the regulations can be circumvented.Put that with the 18 speed Fuller should settle all the arguments between Fiat v CAT 3408 v Scania motors for the King of the Hill rights.Although if not it might be easier in Australia where they recognise both DOT and Euro emissions standards and with more relaxed regs regarding individually put together BITSAS,seemingly a bit like the Glider regs,( so far ? ).

Which probably still leaves the answer to the question what type of boat is this going to be put in when standing at the Scania parts counter with debit card in hand. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

There are no emission standards for pre 03 engines and there’s nothing to stop you putting a newer engine in an older truck, you just can’t put an old engine in a newer truck, so I don’t think that would be an issue. That’s if you told them in the first place of course!

Possibly a prime example of begging for forgiveness rather than asking for permission lol

Hey,

Is here someone who has experiance with a Fuller in a 141 V8 ■■?
I think i need a RTO11613, it is lower geared as standard and that"s why i should go for an overdrive.
About the bellhousing and clutchpomp place, from which marque of lorry should fit the best ■■? (of course a marque which was slod on the continent)
Have a dubble clutch in it and the fine theeting clutchplates. Are there going in shafts of Fuller which have that type as well ■■?
Or should an RTO14613 go in too ■■? hasn’t this not the bigger two inch going in shaft ■■?
Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey,

I think i need a RTO11613, it is lower geared as standard and that"s why i should go for an overdrive.
About the bellhousing and clutchpomp place, from which marque of lorry should fit the best ■■? (of course a marque which was slod on the continent)
Have a dubble clutch in it and the fine theeting clutchplates. Are there going in shafts of Fuller which have that type as well ■■?
Or should an RTO14613 go in too ■■? hasn’t this not the bigger two inch going in shaft ■■?
Eric,

Hello Eric! The only Scania 141 I’ve ever heard of with a Fuller 13-speed gearbox is this one pictured below. With any luck, the picture will prompt someone’s memory and you might get an answer - good luck! Robert

13 speed Fuller in 141.jpg

I was under this impression that there were quite a few Fuller 141 conversions in Europe, and all 141s in Oz had Fuller 'boxes in them. Whatever, it seems that the conversion is quite straightforward.

I know of some Scanias who had fuller fitted in Finland,some talk of it earlyer in this thread also,never heard of any here in sweden thou.

Danne

Hey,

Thanks to all for the information.
A man did it in the Nederlands but don’t know him, i will look a bit further, w’ll see in future.

Eric,

A rare beast- European V8 with a Fuller:

Whoops; wrong link. Here’s the Fuller Berliet, hopefully: :blush:

tiptop495:
Hey,

G’day Tiptop - have you had any luck with the Fuller onto the 141?
Sorry for the slow response - I’ve only just read your post - but maybe get in touch with a company called Zed Wrecking - they are Scania only wreckers / used parts suppliers in Melton, Victoria.
Worth a try maybe

Cheers Keith
Eric,

[zb]
anorak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaBeKx_Z4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpI4yKLW2Q

:sunglasses: :smiley: R

[zb]
anorak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaBeKx_Z4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpI4yKLW2Q

Don’t feel sorry for the wrong link! Thanks to your mistake, I was very happy to see the tests on the off-road center of Valbonne, near Lyon. Around 1965, I presume.

robert1952:
Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Morning chaps! The 'Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger ‘boxes’ thread has proved to be more poplar than I had anticipated, but it has also revealed an enormous amount of respect and affection among bloggers for the 13-speed version, many of whom would argue that it was the best 'box of the lot.

So I declare this thread open in the hopes that we can once again attempt to match known 13-speed installations with actual pictures of the ‘host’ vehicles. As always, I will start by throwing in a few pictures of known units with F13s to get the juices going! Robert :smiley:

Thought you might appreciate the T shirt I was given at Christmas: