Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

240 Gardner:

robert1952:

Morning chaps! The 'Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger ‘boxes’ thread has proved to be more poplar than I had anticipated, but it has also revealed an enormous amount of respect and affection among bloggers for the 13-speed version, many of whom would argue that it was the best 'box of the lot.

So I declare this thread open in the hopes that we can once again attempt to match known 13-speed installations with actual pictures of the ‘host’ vehicles. As always, I will start by throwing in a few pictures of known units with F13s to get the juices going! Robert :smiley:

Thought you might appreciate the T shirt I was given at Christmas:

Brilliant! I want one! :laughing: R

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

robert1952:

Morning chaps! The 'Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger ‘boxes’ thread has proved to be more poplar than I had anticipated, but it has also revealed an enormous amount of respect and affection among bloggers for the 13-speed version, many of whom would argue that it was the best 'box of the lot.

So I declare this thread open in the hopes that we can once again attempt to match known 13-speed installations with actual pictures of the ‘host’ vehicles. As always, I will start by throwing in a few pictures of known units with F13s to get the juices going! Robert :smiley:

Thought you might appreciate the T shirt I was given at Christmas:

Brilliant! I want one! :laughing: R

so do i! :sunglasses:

Hi all, So i drove a Leyland Marathon in 1976 it was about a 72 or 73 lovely truck had the double size cab but it had a strange gearbox, forth was where third would normally be and that made eighth where seven should be very awkward to get used to apparently the guy that drove it before me went to Scotland and back in seventh gear as no one told him but they still sacked him. So what gearbox was that. It was a great truck pulled like a train always overweight as we did timber out of the forest so it was always guesstimate the weight. Only problem was you had to stop 3 or 4 times a day to chek the wheel nuts as they were a bugger for coming loose.So as i say What gearbox was that.Happy day’s :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, So i drove a Leyland Marathon in 1976 it was about a 72 or 73 lovely truck had the double size cab but it had a strange gearbox, forth was where third would normally be and that made eighth where seven should be very awkward to get used to apparently the guy that drove it before me went to Scotland and back in seventh gear as no one told him but they still sacked him. So what gearbox was that. It was a great truck pulled like a train always overweight as we did timber out of the forest so it was always guesstimate the weight. Only problem was you had to stop 3 or 4 times a day to chek the wheel nuts as they were a bugger for coming loose.So as i say What gearbox was that.Happy day’s :sunglasses:

That would have been the overdrive version of a Fuller 9-sp (Fuller RTO 9509) ,box, commonplace among many British (in particular) trucks of the '70s (ERFs, Sed-Atiks, Fodens, Guys etc). In many cases the operator could opt either for the overdrive-top version with the U-shape shift pattern you describe, or the direct-top version with a normal H-pattern. Cheers, R

Thank’s for that Robert i thought it was some sort of Fuller but could not quite remember. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Thank’s for that Robert i thought it was some sort of Fuller but could not quite remember. :sunglasses:

:smiley: . And to fit it with the thread, yours could even have been a 13-sp 'box because they were only 9-sp 'boxes with a splitter on the top 4 gears in hi-range :wink: . R

Robert i believe it did have the splitter on the top 4. It was a great tool hub reduction and all you could be in mud over the axle on it would still keep going. :sunglasses:

Hi all
Heres couple of photos of trucks I owned with 13 speed R/Rs the Super Hippo with a 220hp ■■■■■■■ under the bonnet was a 9513 series gearbox it handled the ■■■■■■■ well and was only used in single trailer and occasional 2 trailer general freight,the KW originally had a K19 ■■■■■■■ set at 450hp and was a 14613series gearbox and handled gross train wights to 115 tons ok but when we did an upgrade on the engine to 525hp air to air intercooled it struggled not surprisingly so I fitted an 18 speed funny enough though I had to fit a second oil cooler in the system to keep its temperatures under control.
The Ford LtL had a 425hp Cat with a 13 speed and did a good job mainly 2 trailer operation.
A triple click will expand to full page.

We hope you are all keeping healthy in these trying times.

Cheers Dig

Like a good comedian

The secret of a successful gearchange

IS

:open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

TIMING

And don’t use the clutch only to stop and start after that, as you say timing and rev’s. At least that’s what i was taught. :sunglasses: