Loony on the A1

Coming down the A1 this morning, there was some polish motor on the hard shoulder right at the M62 M1 split, the chap had a blowout on the O/S rear trailer

Anyway as I’m getting closer I see wagons swerving and pretty violent swerves too, so I move to lane 2 and as I pass Its obvious why, the driver is underneath the trailer, punctured wheel laid half in lane 1 and a tool kit casually spread out over the rumble strip :open_mouth:

I guess he thinks his little reflective triangle and hi vis is going to save him :smiling_imp:

No he is just an international driver making the best of a bad situation and saving his boss the £400 ATS would charge for a call out.Top man,you should have stopped and helped him.And I expect the wagons were swerving because they were failing to observe,probably texting or watching breakfast TV as they drove along.

I was watching on camera as a foreign driver finished changing a wheel yesterday on M1 S/B J14-13 and was casually strolling around lane 1, wheeling the flat tyre and trying to put it in a locker, making trucks swerve into lane two. Luckily for him, traffic was quite light, so they had room to move over. We wont let foreign drivers change offside wheels now. They will have to pay ATS or similar or they get removed. Not closing a lane for a driver to take 45 mins to change a wheel. Best I have had is eight minutes for a Three Counties Tyres fitter to change a tyre. He should get a job in F1 !!

Armagedon:
No he is just an international driver making the best of a bad situation and saving his boss the £400 ATS would charge for a call out.Top man,you should have stopped and helped him.And I expect the wagons were swerving because they were failing to observe,probably texting or watching breakfast TV as they drove along.

+1

Armagedon:

Yes very true,

However he could of been a little more cautious and not had a wheel and tool kit in the lane 1, mot every driver moves to lane 2. Or call the wombles who would of happily either sat behind warning traffic or even shut the lane for an hour or so

extrucker:
We wont let foreign drivers change offside wheels now. They will have to pay ATS or similar or they get removed. Not closing a lane for a driver to take 45 mins to change a wheel.

Who is we and what gives you the authority to stop them?

extrucker:
I was watching on camera as a foreign driver finished changing a wheel yesterday on M1 S/B J14-13 and was casually strolling around lane 1, wheeling the flat tyre and trying to put it in a locker, making trucks swerve into lane two. Luckily for him, traffic was quite light, so they had room to move over. We wont let foreign drivers change offside wheels now. They will have to pay ATS or similar or they get removed. Not closing a lane for a driver to take 45 mins to change a wheel. Best I have had is eight minutes for a Three Counties Tyres fitter to change a tyre. He should get a job in F1 !!

Is your name Angus?

Armagedon:

+2

And to the other bloke using the Royal “we” who are you and under whose authority can you demand someone uses a tyre company to change the wheel? What would happen if the driver had not enough running money to pay the bill - would you be paying it for him??

Hombre:

Armagedon:

+2

And to the other bloke using the Royal “we” who are you and under whose authority can you demand someone uses a tyre company to change the wheel? What would happen if the driver had not enough running money to pay the bill - would you be paying it for him??

I have no idea who “we” is but Im sure they can’t demand to use a tyre company , maybe just assistance?
That’s all I meant by this convo. Even though its saving money etc I still think its slightly dangerous. Maybe not what he was doing but more the way he did it.

GBPub:

extrucker:
We wont let foreign drivers change offside wheels now. They will have to pay ATS or similar or they get removed. Not closing a lane for a driver to take 45 mins to change a wheel.

And how would you remove him? Would you let him change the wheel before you “removed” him, or would you just push him down the embankment■■?

It very probably is dangerous, but so are lots of things and Ive done it many, many times - its a bloody awful job to do too, a good hour of back breaking toil. But at the end of the day its mine and many others job to do it if necessary.

weeto:

GBPub:

extrucker:

And how would you remove him? Would you let him change the wheel before you “removed” him, or would you just push him down the embankment■■?

:open_mouth: :smiley:

weeto:

GBPub:

extrucker:

:open_mouth: :grimacing: :smiley: poor driver!

What a bunch of heroes on here!

I wouldn’t change a wheel at the side of a motorway for all the tea in China, India and Sri Lanka!

Much too dangerous. I stopped playing silly ‘he-man’ games many years ago.

I wonder if the people supporting his actions will be the first to post another RIP post when the nob gets squashed? :unamused:

Not a hope in hell of me changing a wheel on the hard shoulder nor would I stop to help anyone else dopey enough to put themselves in that position! My life’s worth more than whatever ATS would charge.

AF1:
Not a hope in hell of me changing a wheel on the hard shoulder nor would I stop to help anyone else dopey enough to put themselves in that position! My life’s worth more than whatever ATS would charge.

+1

Nobody gets any pleasure from changing wheels at the side of the road nor as far as i know is it done because its big, hard and macho. Its done for reasons of pure and simple economics. Have you any idea how much tyre companies charge for a call out in working hours, let alone out of hours? Many will not “allow” you to have your own spare put on and will charge a further fortune for a replacement - usually the most expensive one they can find in the workshop.

If you work for a big firm whio have an account with a national tyre firm then good luck to you, but as soon as they see a foreign truck in need the rates go through the roof.

All the economical ■■■■ is good if it all ends hunky dorey.

Not sure about your gaffers but mine would rather make a few calls to get help then one call off the boys in blue telling them there scraping me off the A1.

Truckulent:
What a bunch of heroes on here!

I wouldn’t change a wheel at the side of a motorway for all the tea in China, India and Sri Lanka!

Much too dangerous. I stopped playing silly ‘he-man’ games many years ago.

I wonder if the people supporting his actions will be the first to post another RIP post when the nob gets squashed? :unamused:

You never did international driving then ?

weeto:

That would give a whole new meaning to the phrase…jam roll… :laughing:

oops musn’t upset ory’s