Longs Of Leeds

Anyone is working or worked for them? Thinking to apply for a tramping job but reviews on indeed and google don’t look very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve worked alongside lads who have been there and they wouldn’t return. Foolishly I applied for the recent 4 on 4 off vacancy and the rates quoted in the reply were low

I’m looking for a Mon-Fri vacancy with occasional Sat work. True, rates aren’t great but if they maximise your hours and nights out, then it should still be decent wage. Have any if them mentioned why they wouldn’t return?

44driver:
True, rates aren’t great but if they maximise your hours and nights out, then it should still be decent wage.

Well if you’re willing to flog yourself just for a decent wage then why not try them or any other number of haulage companies who will do exactly that.

Part of the reason why “the rate isn’t great” is because there are drivers willing to do it. If they stopped getting willing drivers they’d gave to increase rates.

44driver:
I’m looking for a Mon-Fri vacancy with occasional Sat work. True, rates aren’t great but if they maximise your hours and nights out, then it should still be decent wage. Have any if them mentioned why they wouldn’t return?

Mostly to do with the money to workload, although I’m struggling to remember a story one lad told about trying to book a holiday and the office kicking off.

I do convenience store work at the moment working 4 days on a rota mon-sat with very rare nights out and I’m on similar pay to their 6 day trampers

Heavy-metal-Hodge:

44driver:

Mostly to do with the money to workload, although I’m struggling to remember a story one lad told about trying to book a holiday and the office kicking off.

I do convenience store work at the moment working 4 days on a rota mon-sat with very rare nights out and I’m on similar pay to their 6 day trampers

You on for one stop??
As for longs it’s just another medium to large size haulier who flog there drivers to death,same as downton etc,for a poor rate and even worse lifestyle,

44driver:

Truck driver logic right there.
Yeah the pays abysmal but if I put the hours in then it’s ok.

12 hrs tramping was always enough for me , but if your away tramping mon - fri then you may as well maximise your hours mon- thurs as your not going home , your just sitting / sleeping in your lorry !!! , fri as short as possible
Spoke to a lot of longs of Leeds at britvic Leeds & cant remember any moaning about job

chester:

44driver:

It’s what I was alluding to earlier so I guess wgat I’m saying actually is I agree with you about something :open_mouth:

I met one of Long’s lads in a 6 wheeler rigid on Thursday…He’d obviously recently re-trained as a wagon driver cos he said it was his very first week as a driver. Poor sod had been out all week and was hoping to get home that night.
I don’t have any direct experience with Longs but I have never heard anything positive about working for them.

chester:

44driver:

Great isn’t it!! Get a decent job and be home every night doing 20 hrs a week less!!

Not everybody, wants to work at a pointy logistics camp, or drive a shopping trolley, sometimes there are other reasons people work for a slightly less rate, it might fit in with there home life, time off etc, you have to look at the offer and what suits you. I know if I worked at any large pointy management place, I would be sacked within a week.

If the op is happy and it suits his circumstances, then go for it.

reading reviews saying they pay 50p above min wage…

I work for a pointy logistics camp now.
You do as your told…or you’re down the road.
Did max out…the last 2 days(rare)but earnt me a weeks wage,doing so.

maga:
reading reviews saying they pay 50p above min wage…

And!!!

I could go and work for £13phr and only have to walk to work,. Monday–Friday, no weekends, £30 niteout, but the management are a bit company happy, tracked and watched, No thank you.

I’ve known loads of lads over the years go there and 90% have left,think nothing of sending you in to London on a Friday afternoon,back Saturday then out again early Monday,fine if the wage is good but not on the rates longs pay,
Most of the small container operators and small hauliers round Leeds are paying £10-12 an hour and your home most nights and have a lot less stress and only stay in northern England as your working from the rail head terminal…
Flogging your guts out for firms like longs is silly in my opinion

biggriffin:
Not everybody, wants to work at a pointy logistics camp, or drive a shopping trolley, sometimes there are other reasons people work for a slightly less rate, it might fit in with there home life, time off etc, you have to look at the offer and what suits you. I know if I worked at any large pointy management place, I would be sacked within a week.

If the op is happy and it suits his circumstances, then go for it.

Aren’t Longs heading towards that pointy logistics camp, faceless companies?. I’m sure the Long family sold out a couple of years ago

Wages are low because most drivers take the pi55 and manipulate the job to suit themselves, if the wages were doubled
there are drivers that would still take the ■■■■ if you have sixty drivers 20 would be stars 20 would be average
and 20 would be absolute wayne kerrs nowadays drivers can and do drop in and out of those cateogries at will.

I don’t think Longs have sold out I think Chris Long decided to retire and his sons took charge

They are always recruiting in Hull, says alot in my eyes…

biggriffin:

If the op is happy and it suits his circumstances, then go for it.[/quote

Think you hit the nail on the head. I drive a shopping trolley on agency, home every night, never pushed with good money, but very boring brain dead work. Its suits me and my life style. General haulage is far more varied, but its trucks for profit in a cut throat business, so you tend to be on a worse rate of pay but far more interesting life. Its the same if you want to tramp around Europe, rates are low but people do it for the life style.

Everyone has a choice what they want to do, In most areas of the UK you can change your job quite easy so you find the work you are happy in. I am money mad and willing to put up with the BS which goes with the job, but other people want different things out life and are willing to work for less pay to suit their life style.

Question is whats more important; The money or be happy in your job? Me? The money :blush: