Longs Of Leeds

44driver:
I’m looking for a Mon-Fri vacancy with occasional Sat work. True, rates aren’t great but if they maximise your hours and nights out, then it should still be decent wage. Have any if them mentioned why they wouldn’t return?

You should apply and don’t delay because company’s love to get people like yourself
There is no shortage of people to work for low wages and max out hours so don’t delay apply today it will be right up your street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44driver:
I’m looking for a Mon-Fri vacancy with occasional Sat work. True, rates aren’t great but if they maximise your hours and nights out, then it should still be decent wage. Have any if them mentioned why they wouldn’t return?

And there it is. :bulb::unamused:
The main reason why wages and t.s & c.s in this job are on the whole ■■■■ ■■■■ poor.
Drivers who are not only willing, but actively seeking a job to work a week and a half in comparison to other industries, for what equates to a week’s money,…(and knowing it’s a crap rate :open_mouth: ) AND actually thinking it’s a ‘‘Decent wage’’. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Can’t help thinking you’re on a troll/wind up bud, but if you aren’t the words ‘‘hell’’ and ‘‘handcart’’ immediately spring to mind.

One of there drivers once told me Downtown’s had money in Longs.

Hang on a minute now, so all of you that are saying that it’s wrong to accept lower rate & longer hours to get £6-700 a week, are you saying that if at this moment in time I can’t find a job that will pay £15p/h on a 10hr day, I should stay off work? Unfortunately, I still have bills to pay and family to take care off. Yes, haulage industry is being exploited, and professional drivers are being paid less than unskilled workers. On a flip side though, I’d rather do 15hr shift and have 9 off, than do 10hr shift and spend next 14hrs doing ■■■■ all in a tin box.

The only way to get hauliers to think is to bring them to stand still until the wages are increased, but how many drivers will be willing to sacrifice their weekly income for it… [emoji2369]

I try and stay out of trolling posts, but this has turned into a reasonable debate about the wages/hours chestnut. I take around £650 a week, but I have to work flat out for that, Monday to Friday. I do nights out as required. I’m paid for 4 a week whether I do them or not. I have days where I’m done on 12 hours in the yard, then days when I’m pushed out on 13 and back up the road. It’s just whatever the job requires. I stay here, because with the exception of Ford or Tesco (the latter involves working every weekend and generally 1am starts) I can’t earn that take home pay, which believe it or not, isn’t enough in the area to live comfortably. If I could find a gig like Tesco, but starting around 4am and only occasional weekend work, I’d jump at it, but it’s not there. I also recognise for my type of work I’m clearing between £70 and £100 a week more than most forms in the area. Horses for courses and all that

44driver:
Hang on a minute now, so all of you that are saying that it’s wrong to accept lower rate & longer hours to get £6-700 a week, are you saying that if at this moment in time I can’t find a job that will pay £15p/h on a 10hr day, I should stay off work? Unfortunately, I still have bills to pay and family to take care off. Yes, haulage industry is being exploited, and professional drivers are being paid less than unskilled workers. On a flip side though, I’d rather do 15hr shift and have 9 off, than do 10hr shift and spend next 14hrs doing [zb] all in a tin box.

Fair enough mate, I do see the dilemna, but your post gave the impression that this was a first option.
When my kids were all at home, and living with me, and with us living in an area where there are plenty of jobs but all for crap firms, I looked further afield and went for outbased truck at home jobs, that paid much better money,
I found a couple of comparitively mega buck jobs with excellent t.s & c.s (South of Eng and Europe co.s), lasting a total of 14 yrs respectively, …both of which I stayed with until made redundant.

I aint saying you can do that easily, but rather than go for firms you know in your own mind are gonna be crap, why not try own account co.s, or (God forbid) agencies who offer full time employment with a good firm all for better pay and t.s & c.s
They are out there if you are willing to invest the time looking.

I take your point about drivers sticking together also.

I settled for a local firm today, best of a bunch, as I no longer have past commitments, and managed to sort myself out with a reasonable little niche job there.

As for your ‘‘tin box’’ chestnut :unamused: , it’s how you make it mate, regular 15 hour teararse shifts/9off in a ■■■■ truck no longer (never really did tbh) appeal to me as a satisfactory or happy way of life.
(And usually a short life if you end up doing that sort of working as a regular routine:idea: )

Isn’t part of the problem here truck drivers needing to earn £650-£700 a week? Talk about being caught in the money trap.

I can’t help but think that if you need to be earning £40k+ to pay your bills then maybe you should be doing something more skilled & demanding than truck driving? Live within your means and your basic wage.

rob22888:
Isn’t part of the problem here truck drivers needing to earn £650-£700 a week? Talk about being caught in the money trap.

I can’t help but think that if you need to be earning £40k+ to pay your bills then maybe you should be doing something more skilled & demanding than truck driving? Live within your means and your basic wage.

Easier said than done, wages have stagnated, cost of living hasn’t. Could be a single income family, no different to a husband and wife on 20k each is it

rob22888:

For me I want a good standard of living with a nice house. So I believe in max out my earnings, I am not interested in working for a basic wage. Remember everyone is different and have their own goals in life. I love the job and it gives me the standard of living I am after. So where’s the problem?

If that’s what your happy with then fair play.

For me personally as much as would like a big house, I’m pretty sure walking into the trap of having to flog myself for 650-700 a week as truck driver would ultimately make me grossly unhappy. The house wouldn’t be worth it, I’d hardly be in it anyway.

Don’t all rush at once, from Indeed …

We are looking for 7 x full-time, HGV1 & 2 Tramping drivers, based either from Leeds or Hull,

Shifts available: Monday to Saturday with nights out

or Friday to Wednesday with nights out.

We offer a competitive pay rate and flexible shift patterns.

We offer local and national palletised delivery, involving:

FoodMachineryTimber

Drivers require:

Newly qualified drivers welcomeHold a full drivers CPC.Hold a Digital Tacho card

Individuals must be reliable and self-motivated, and have a customer facing approach with a strong, professional work ethic.

Previous Tramping experience preferred

Salary: £650 - £750 per week

Immediate Start

Yorkielad:
One of there drivers once told me Downtown’s had money in Longs.

Doubt that.Downtons is owned by EV cargo now.All part of Jigsaw,Nft,Allport,And Evans.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jimmy McNulty:

We are looking for 7 x full-time, HGV1 & 2 Tramping drivers, based either from Leeds or Hull,

FoodMachineryTimber

Drivers require:

Newly qualified drivers welcomeHold a full drivers CPC.Hold a Digital Tacho card

Individuals must be reliable and self-motivated, and have a customer facing approach with a strong, professional work ethic.

Immediate Start

Not a bad rate for a new pass that, in fact it’s a very good rate for a new pass

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

Jimmy McNulty:

FoodMachineryTimber

Drivers require:

Immediate Start

Not a bad rate for a new pass that, in fact it’s a very good rate for a new pass

Trust me what you will have to do to earn that money will be eye watering,
General haulage firms in Leeds are all the same,want you to give up your life for them,

yorkshire terrier:

stuwozere1:

Jimmy McNulty:

FoodMachineryTimber

Drivers require:

Immediate Start

Trust me what you will have to do to earn that money will be eye watering,
General haulage firms in Leeds are all the same,want you to give up your life for them,

Unfortunately with new passes beggars can’t be choosers. Knock out 2 years and keep your head down you’d soon be out of there