Longs of Leeds £45000 a year?

Just seen on indeed longs advertising nights Monday to Friday at £45000 a year,they are known for been very average round here in the pay department and I’m quite in touch with the haulage game round here so unless Iv missed something have they had a massive pay rise or is it the usual dressing up of a wage you will never hit,I know what answer my brass is on.

The devil will always be in the details, it’s possible that one or two working long hours can rack that up so the company feels they can advertise it, you need to know how the wage is accrued and whether any allowances such as subsistence (if they stop out) is included in that figure.
TBH 45k isn’t that high for nights in some parts of the country, if the better wages have reached Leeds then good for you lads in the area.

Quite possible. Where I’m at on days they’re on £44k for a 54hr week on days and roughly an extra three grand for nights.

£45k for 65hrs (five 13hr shifts) is only £13.31/hr which is an hourly rate possible in much of the UK to get, if it’s 60hrs that bumps it up to £14.42 an hour, again not unbelievable for nights.

Companies, especially those who have a lot of eastern european drivers, have finally at last with 7 weeks to go to the end of the Brexit transition period realised that the tap of eastern european drivers is now going to be completely turned off. Come 1st January however many LGV licence holders who still want to drive trucks are still in the UK is the entire labour pool they’re going to be able to hire from along with everyone else at a time where the shift to online shopping is raising demand, especially on nights. The ability to get an agency to go to Poland, Latvia, Romania, wherever and hire drivers to work in the UK is gone, it’s finished, it’s over - easy access to the 500 million people in the rest of the EU to come and work here is at an end. Lorry driver will never get Tier 2 status whilst DVSA continue to say there’s more than enough licence holders to meet demand so they’ll never be able to have someone come from Europe to the UK to work as a lorry driver. The more forward thinking companies will be making damned sure they’re paying a rate that not only keeps the drivers they’ve got but will get drivers who would’ve otherwise gone elsewhere to come work for them.

Howden’s pay their drivers £15.66 per hour for days? And £16.73 per hour for nights? Are you sure about that?

Conor:
Quite possible. Where I’m at on days they’re on £44k for a 54hr week on days and roughly an extra three grand for nights.

£45k for 65hrs (five 13hr shifts) is only £13.31/hr which is an hourly rate possible in much of the UK to get, if it’s 60hrs that bumps it up to £14.42 an hour, again not unbelievable for nights.

Companies, especially those who have a lot of eastern european drivers, have finally at last with 7 weeks to go to the end of the Brexit transition period realised that the tap of eastern european drivers is now going to be completely turned off. Come 1st January however many LGV licence holders who still want to drive trucks are still in the UK is the entire labour pool they’re going to be able to hire from along with everyone else at a time where the shift to online shopping is raising demand, especially on nights. The ability to get an agency to go to Poland, Latvia, Romania, wherever and hire drivers to work in the UK is gone, it’s finished, it’s over - easy access to the 500 million people in the rest of the EU to come and work here is at an end. Lorry driver will never get Tier 2 status whilst DVSA continue to say there’s more than enough licence holders to meet demand so they’ll never be able to have someone come from Europe to the UK to work as a lorry driver. The more forward thinking companies will be making damned sure they’re paying a rate that not only keeps the drivers they’ve got but will get drivers who would’ve otherwise gone elsewhere to come work for them.

If only that were all true…I fear youre too optimistic. The current Gov have for years been talking of importing even cheaper labour from even further afield. Why do you think drivers will be immune in the future? Companies who call for cheaper labour will get it. Farmers dont increase pay enough to get UK workers, neither do hospitality, cleaning and care services. There are enough people qualified to make a coffee, but many baristas are immigrants. How qualified do you need to be to pick strawberries or harvest cabbages? Why would a surplus of LGV licence holders stop more coming? Even the minimum salary for immigrants has been reduced recently.
Brexit might mean fewer Polish workers, but an opening for Lithuanian, and Ukranian workers. And what of new trade deals we want elsewhere? For us to sell more in India and China they might expect freer movement of people and labour?

yorkshire terrier:
Just seen on indeed longs advertising nights Monday to Friday at £45000 a year,they are known for been very average round here in the pay department and I’m quite in touch with the haulage game round here so unless Iv missed something have they had a massive pay rise or is it the usual dressing up of a wage you will never hit,I know what answer my brass is on.

Everyone I know over that side of the hills knows that Longs have always been crap payers along with crap work doing timber out of Hull. Last time I saw an ad for them (not that long ago) they were advertising £9.75/hr so for it to suddenly jump to £45k is clearly bull. If you look closely at the ad it says “up to £45000”. They are playing the same game as Joda and Shipley by advertising an attractive headline salary to get you in the door because no-one was interested when they were all advertising at their actual hourly rate, which is £9 something for all of them. The only way you’d ever see 45k is by working maximum hours and doing 8 nights out per week.

It’s the sprat to catch the mackerel. Imagine working for the likes of them if they can’t even be precise with the wages in their ad.

It’s a place people go as a stopgap until they find something else hence why they advertise every week.
If I needed a job I would probably go there as it’s local to me but I wouldn’t be expecting them figures and I’d have applications in elsewhere.
Used to be known as one in the Leeds triangle.

Mick Bracewell:
Howden’s pay their drivers £15.66 per hour for days? And £16.73 per hour for nights? Are you sure about that?

Not un-feasable with overtime after 45hrs. Supermarkets are similar, can average 16ph on days for a 54hr week and an extra 3 quid an hour on night rate.

Yorkielad:

Walkers…

Bedfords and Longs.

Now that Bedfords has gone, is it known as the old Leeds one two?

As others have suggested, 45k is maxed out, 8 nights a week, 45 hours by Wednesday malarkey in a shed of a DAF that (when I drove nights for them), smelled like it had been left on a fish dock somewhere for a week or two.

Learn your trade with these firms and then get the hell into own account operations and never ever leave.

Mick Bracewell:

Yeah, pretty sure he will know as he’s been long term agency there.

yourhavingalarf:

Yorkielad:

Walkers…

Bedfords and Longs.

Now that Bedfords has gone, is it known as the old Leeds one two?

As others have suggested, 45k is maxed out, 8 nights a week, 45 hours by Wednesday malarkey in a shed of a DAF that (when I drove nights for them), smelled like it had been left on a fish dock somewhere for a week or two.

Learn your trade with these firms and then get the hell into own account operations and never ever leave.

Walkers wasn’t on the map back in the day. It used to be Longies, Bedfords and MacFarlanes as the triangle.

tmcassett:

Mick Bracewell:

Fair enough. Still strikes me as unlikely given that they are based in the arse end of East Yorkshire where every other company in the locale only pays slightly above the NMW (Tesco excepted). On the other hand, it is own account work so…

yorkshire terrier:

A mate of mine drives for them.

I will ask him tomorrow.

Ken.

It’s to make a crap job look attractive, it’s what they all do.
I saw an ad for my lot, 'Our drivers can earn x no of pounds" , the amount was for absolute maxing out,.and 5 nights out, …who tf IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS want to do that these days anyway?
In fact, when I first saw the amount at first sight without reading the crap,.I quite fancied the job myself. :laughing:

robroy:
I saw an ad for my lot, 'Our drivers can earn x no of pounds" , the amount was for absolute maxing out,.and 5 nights out, …who tf IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS want to do that these days anyway?
In fact, when I first saw the amount at first sight without reading the crap,.I quite fancied the job myself. :laughing:

Exactly this, seen some around here that advertise similar, but when you break it down its for maxed hours each week and includes the night out money and any other expenses

robroy:

Would that happen to be an ad for A long established family business founded in 1969 ? No numbers were listed, just the usual suspicious “competitive rates of pay” which typically means roughly a tenner an hour right through in my experience. :unamused:

Nah afaik they ain’t been going that long, but as I said, the figure did not match reality, for as long as they have been going…, or as long as I’ve been there anyhow. :neutral_face:

Mick Bracewell:

tmcassett:

Mick Bracewell:

Fair enough. Still strikes me as unlikely given that they are based in the arse end of East Yorkshire where every other company in the locale only pays slightly above the NMW (Tesco excepted).

£15.78/hr for days, an extra £12.36 per day shift allowance for nights which are typically 8-11hrs and I’m sure about that because I’m on parity pay and it’s what is on my wage slip. They’ve always paid well even when the site was Hygena years ago due to the fact they pay the same as they do the drivers at the main distribution centres in Northamptonshire.

That is exceptionally good pay for class 1 driving work in the northern half on the UK :astonished: . In fact it’s better than many southern based companies too. Another good example of own account work paying well.