Longest curtainsider in Uk

New Elddis Trailer & unit to replace wagon & drag on Department of Transport trials 15.6 metres long 60 or 90 pallets depending on product, rear steer axle should be up & running next few weeks

That’s a LOT of bog roll.

Looks ugly, should be no different to the normal trailers we pull today though, they should have also enforced a height restriction like in Europe, trailers in the UK are far too high… :cry:

Pimpdaddy:
Looks ugly, should be no different to the normal trailers we pull today though,

Until the tail sweep or front overhang catches someone out on a corner.

Could be interesting when its windy and empty?

Pimpdaddy:
Looks ugly, should be no different to the normal trailers we pull today though, they should have also enforced a height restriction like in Europe, trailers in the UK are far too high… :cry:

Not much point in allowing a longer trailer though if you reduce the height, it would still have the same internal volume as now

Do all Actros/Axor have the exhaust exit like that?

Still a foot shorter than a regular trailer over here then ?

Just think how many cyclists could be mown down when turning left with this…

EastAnglianTrucker:

how do you think we cope in city streets over here with 53 ft trailers and a truck on the front that makes the whole thing 72 ft long ?
We get by, we observe, we look out for cyclists.
the trailer shown there would be as easy as pie ! … it has rear steering axles FFS

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

how do you think we cope in city streets over here with 53 ft trailers and a truck on the front that makes the whole thing 72 ft long ?
the trailer shown there would be as easy as pie ! … it has rear steering axles FFS

A rear steer axle don`t count for jack faeces when at full weight on tri axle.
I know, is use both rear steer and fixed, in and out the same farms on a regular basis.
A unit with a better turning circle is worth more, when it comes to room required in tight places.

greek:
New Elddis Trailer & unit to replace wagon & drag on Department of Transport trials 15.6 metres long 60 or 90 pallets depending on product, rear steer axle should be up & running next few weeks

This /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85318 six days ago

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Come on Pat, you’re from England orig, you can’t possibly compare your streets to the likes of the streets of London, Oxford, Chester etc.

BUT, I’ve drove bendy busses in London and Manchester, and they’re approx 70’ long

roadhog69:

greek:

This /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85318 six days ago

so someone talked about this a week ago, does that mean no one must mention it again :question:
there would be a lot more quiet pubs in your world, be no good running a social club would ya :question:

waynedl:

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Come on Pat, you’re from England orig, you can’t possibly compare your streets to the likes of the streets of London, Oxford, Chester etc.

BUT, I’ve drove bendy busses in London and Manchester, and they’re approx 70’ long

It’s not the overall length that matters so much as the axle configurations and resulting overhangs behind the axles and forward of the pin.In this case it’s all on the overhangs at each end not between the pin and the axle because unlike most of the American ideas they’re fixated on cut in here and forget what’s going on at each end.It’s more likely that you’ll be wiping out cyclists and maybe a few traffic lights and pedestrians when turning right with this not left.

It’s easier to see what cut in is doing than it is to see what the opposite corner at the back is doing on a turn (tail sweep) for example in which case it’s easy to wipe someone out with the rear corner without even knowing about it.While a decent LHV drawbar outfit would provide the best of all worlds combination of providing more load deck space and weight capacity and less front an rear overhangs together with manageable,if not less, levels of cut in.But the steering axle is just there to support the extra weight further back to help keep the axle weights right but it doesn’t stop the tail sweep which is why it steers to stop tyre scrub. :unamused:

Carryfast:

waynedl:

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

It’s not the overall length that matters so much as the axle configurations and resulting overhangs behind the axles and forward of the pin.In this case it’s all on the overhangs at each end not between the pin and the axle because unlike most of the American ideas they’re fixated on cut in here and forget what’s going on at each end.It’s more likely that you’ll be wiping out cyclists and maybe a few traffic lights and pedestrians when turning right with this not left.

It’s easier to see what cut in is doing than it is to see what the opposite corner at the back is doing on a turn (tail sweep) for example in which case it’s easy to wipe someone out with the rear corner without even knowing about it.While a decent LHV drawbar outfit would provide the best of all worlds of providing more load deck space and weight capacity and less front an rear overhangs.But the steering axle is just there to support the extra weight further back to help keep the axle weights right but it doesn’t stop the tail sweep it just goes with it.Which is why it steers to stop tyre scrub. :unamused:

Trust me, I know, I came off coaches and busses, look at the overhang on those buggers mate.

I’ve been a few places that you simply would not get that, anybody done kidde fire at High Bentham think you’d get this round off the high street?
You have to use the path as it is to stop your mid taking out the building on your left whilst you’re inches (at most) from the building on the right, no idea where the arse end is, but I’ve not had any reports YET :smiling_imp:

edit

For those that don’t know it, you take this left - can’t come from other side due to bridge height on 1 road and unsuitable for articulated vehicles on the other road (although I’ve used that road as mentioned before).

You wouldn`t get behind City&West, on Tariff road Tottenham with one of those :laughing: :laughing:

waynedl:

Carryfast:

waynedl:

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

It’s easier to see what cut in is doing than it is to see what the opposite corner at the back is doing on a turn (tail sweep) for example in which case it’s easy to wipe someone out with the rear corner without even knowing about it.While a decent LHV drawbar outfit would provide the best of all worlds of providing more load deck space and weight capacity and less front an rear overhangs.But the steering axle is just there to support the extra weight further back to help keep the axle weights right but it doesn’t stop the tail sweep it just goes with it.Which is why it steers to stop tyre scrub. :unamused:

Trust me, I know, I came off coaches and busses, look at the overhang on those buggers mate.

I’ve been a few places that you simply would not get that, anybody done kidde fire at High Bentham think you’d get this round off the high street?
You have to use the path as it is to stop your mid taking out the building on your left whilst you’re inches (at most) from the building on the right, no idea where the arse end is, but I’ve not had any reports YET :smiling_imp:

edit

For those that don’t know it, you take this left - can’t come from other side due to bridge height on 1 road and unsuitable for articulated vehicles on the other road (although I’ve used that road as mentioned before).

With buses and coaches you actually can see what the opposite rear corner is doing because they’re rigids :bulb: .But with trailers you’re blind. :open_mouth:

Pimpdaddy:

I don’t think we should have height restrictions like europe but do believe anything over around 14’3 (typical kind of height for most lorries) should be a low ride set up.

Carryfast:

waynedl:

Carryfast:

waynedl:

Pat Hasler:

EastAnglianTrucker:

edit

With buses and coaches you actually can see what the opposite rear corner is doing because they’re rigids :bulb: .But with trailers you’re blind. :open_mouth:

Yep, I agree, was just saying that I’m aware of the overhangs and how much of a pain in the arse they are, remember a driver pulling out of the bus station and taking out the shelter with his tail swing, I once took a car bonnet off with mine, and a million others with the rear, then there’s the front, normally we’d throw it over the kurb to make the turn, but then they’d put traffic lights, bollards, canopies over shops, railings, high kurbs etc…

As I said, I know a good few places I’ve delivered to where that simply will not go, including todays job.