Long gone Companies

Ritsons closed in 1990 after a 5 week strike. Ritsons was owned buy Hillsdown Holdings who bought them from Towers meats. (I think)

alexsaville:
Norman, do you remember Agnew & Lithgow of Stranrear. they also had a depot in Larne, N.I. I think Montgomery of N.I. took them over.
Smith of Denny is still around.
Cant think who you mean, Maybole of Ayr! Thats 2 different places. Do you mean MacGawn of Ayr?
Do you remember Greenwoods? They used to do multi drop deliveries of magazines on 40 foot flat trailers.
Alex.

Does anyone remember “The Macclesfield Yank” he had a B seriesr ERF which he tried to disguise as a Mack. He was a regular visitor to S5 Seaforth for Manchester Liners

Hasrep:
Ritsons closed in 1990 after a 5 week strike. Ritsons was owned buy Hillsdown Holdings who bought them from Towers meats. (I think)

alexsaville:
Norman, do you remember Agnew & Lithgow of Stranrear. they also had a depot in Larne, N.I. I think Montgomery of N.I. took them over.
Cant think who you mean, Maybole of Ayr! Thats 2 different places. Do you mean MacGawn of Ayr?
Do you remember Greenwoods? They used to do multi drop deliveries of magazines on 40 foot flat trailers.
Alex.

Jarvis Robinson Transport JRT later to become Northwest Roadways( P and O). SPD Birdseye. We used to park up with SPD on the Isle of Dogs. Westferry Road

altitude:
A H Gore Bristol, moved up to the site that is now the hideaway truck stop ( if you can call it that ) then went broke. When we moved in there we used to keep wheels, oil and spares, all in the building that is now the truck stop. That’s unless they have built something new, not been there for years never rated it, always gave it a wide birth.

240 Gardner:

NEJ:
here is some more to add to the list
AA taylor Newton le willows
Kirkdale Lewis haulage of Kirkby L/Pool
Alfred Derbyshire L/Pool
Sayers of Newbury two tone Blue Tankers
Maybole of Ayr
French,s of ■■■■■■■
Michael ,o Leary l/pool
Gearge Davis L/pool
Ritsons [Meat haulage] L/pool
Smiths of denny
N J Grose of st. Austell
Eggbeers of Newton Abbot Devon Brown ERF,s
Fullers Of Brmingham Blue Fodens
NEJ

Ritson’s closed some years ago (late 80’s, I think)
Grose closed down - I’ve a feeling that Mr. Grose passed away
Eggbeer still going
George Davis evolved into Dual Carriage (Vestey Group)
Fullers still going…[/
Ritsons closed in 1990 after a 5 week strike and was owned by Hillsdown Holdings
some other Liverpool Hauliers Henry Forsyth John Mc laughlin later renamed Acemove Kays Transport (Bankhall) SP Roadways Brain Haulage Ionian Haulage quote]

A one Transport was a very good firm to work for, until an asset stripper got his grubby hands on it !!

Chris Webb:

gunnerheskey:
Probably might know him if i see him.
So Armitages are still going, that was them with the stars around the cab.
Was that firm with the blue scanias called BWH, at north muskham nr newark. Think they were taken over by John Pocklington, they’re no longer in the old yard at north muskham.

I remember BWH Transport,blue wagons and did work for British Sugar IIRC,and I used to know what BWH stood for but it’s gone…somebody will know I’m sure.

BWH, Stood for Bells Warehousing & Haulage , i used to sub soem work to them when i was at Amesbury Transport to Safeway Tamworth Or Quicksave in Wellingborough.

tim

Hi, The company is A J DUNABIE they were based in Maybole Ayrshire (matt).

How nostalgic to recognise the company names and then picture the trucks as you can remember them.
Sayers were well kept Scania’s from Newbury way always well kept.
A few local old family firms now gone from the local Wilts area if anyone can remember them,

SCC Transport from Devizes, Green Foden fleet with a couple of Maggie Deutz
I G Merrett from Melksham Guy big J and F88’s
Pearce of Bratton
F J Everritt fridges from London way used to do work at Chambourcy/Nestles Staverton
Guest Road Services of Bath Green Atkinsons

To name but a few from my early years

Regards

Alfred Derbyshire L/Pool
Maybole of Ayr
French,s of ■■■■■■■
Michael ,o Leary l/pool
Gearge Davis L/pool
Smiths of denny
N J Grose of st. Austell
NEJ

Sayers of Newbury - absorbed into the (now huge) derijke empire, some of THE smartest trucks around in their day though

T.French, ■■■■■■■ - still around, they’re in and out of Tennents brewery in Glagsow with several loads a day of spent grains

NEJ:
Alfred Derbyshire L/Pool
Maybole of Ayr
French,s of ■■■■■■■
Michael ,o Leary l/pool
Gearge Davis L/pool
Smiths of denny
N J Grose of st. Austell
NEJ

Ritson’s closed some years ago (late 80’s, I think)
Grose closed down - I’ve a feeling that Mr. Grose passed away
Eggbeer still going
George Davis evolved into Dual Carriage (Vestey Group)
Fullers still going…

Alex.

alexsaville:
Alex.

If it’s the Greenwoods I’m thinking of (Hoddesdon?), they disappeared into Heron and it all evolved into what is now Fiege Merlin

I remember Agnew & Lithgow shipping out through Fleetwood when I worked for Pandoro, but I’d a recollection that they were taken over by Tibbet & Britten when they were quite small

I remember Greenwoods, i think they also had a depot at Edmonton.They used to deliver Exchange and Mart on 16 ton Dodge, roped and sheeted and i think they also ran Madators.

Thinking of my last post and magazines etc.Does anyone remember Biggs,possibly Hemel Hempsted way?They had the IPC magazine contract.
Yellow Guy big J and i seem to remember some Bedford KM artics.

leslie g heath:
I remember Greenwoods, i think they also had a depot at Edmonton.They used to deliver Exchange and Mart on 16 ton Dodge, roped and sheeted and i think they also ran Madators.

Now is that Mandators or Matadors?

Could be a very old firm :laughing: .

Salut, David.

Sorry, definitely MANDATORS.Just shows how old and decrepit i am getting.
I can also remember Sayers.I think they started in a village called Brightwalton.
Also remember they had LAD cabbed trucks.

W. Smith haulage Leicester was run by the Shipman family. My dad drove for them through the war and up to his retirement in the 80s. I spent all my time with him during school holidays and have a photo in his Bedford j type taken in the 60s. He then went on to a Bedford km then later to d type fords. Sadly I still remember some of the registration numbers

R E SHORROCK HAULAGE of pilling,they operated a fleet of atkinson borderers,seddon,sed atki 400s,volvo f88 and f89.The work was flats loading out of walkersteel at blackburn, also subbing on pandoro from fleetwood and pulling tippers loaded with aggregate and grain.The artics were painted green with proper sign writing, really impressive,they also ran 6 and 8 wheeler tippers,these being atkinson,sed atki 400,albions and leyland.The ridgids were painted white,and worked out of wimpey asphalt,boddy,and tilcon quarries at carnforth delivering lime and aggregate all over lancashire and also loading fertiliser out of fisons at widnes. Would be great if anyone remembers shorrocks lorries or has any photos of them,especially when the volvos used to do the middle east run. Regards to all on trucknet,atkimark

atkimark:
R E SHORROCK HAULAGE of pilling,they operated a fleet of atkinson borderers,seddon,sed atki 400s,volvo f88 and f89.The work was flats loading out of walkersteel at blackburn, also subbing on pandoro from fleetwood and pulling tippers loaded with aggregate and grain.The artics were painted green with proper sign writing, really impressive,they also ran 6 and 8 wheeler tippers,these being atkinson,sed atki 400,albions and leyland.The ridgids were painted white,and worked out of wimpey asphalt,boddy,and tilcon quarries at carnforth delivering lime and aggregate all over lancashire and also loading fertiliser out of fisons at widnes. Would be great if anyone remembers shorrocks lorries or has any photos of them,especially when the volvos used to do the middle east run. Regards to all on trucknet,atkimark

I remember R E Shorrock subbing for Pandoro when I worked there in the late 70s. I’m sure I recall them having one of Bowker’s ex-Middle East F89s, either VCW 33 or 34R - can you remember that?