Long gone Companies

Hello 240 Gardner,the F89 was reg no NTD288R it was new from taits at oldham,and ironically i still have the blue drivers jacket that came with the truck.This motor used go on pandoro when it was home from the middle east.The Borderers used to be regulars on P&O,reg no’s NTF130K Gardner 180 and YTD858L ■■■■■■■ 220,both of witch my late father drove from new over the years. Be good to see any photos of these motors,if you have any. Regards Atkimark

atkimark:
Hello 240 Gardner,the F89 was reg no NTD288R it was new from taits at oldham,and ironically i still have the blue drivers jacket that came with the truck.This motor used go on pandoro when it was home from the middle east.The Borderers used to be regulars on P&O,reg no’s NTF130K Gardner 180 and YTD858L ■■■■■■■ 220,both of witch my late father drove from new over the years. Be good to see any photos of these motors,if you have any. Regards Atkimark

I’m afraid I never photographed a Shorrock’s motor, but I didn’t have a proper camera at that time - P&O salary in those days couldn’t fund such hobbies!

I did have it firmly fixed in my mind that one of Bowker’s F89s went to Shorrock’s but perhaps I was wrong - it’s all a long time ago now!

240 Gardner:

alexsaville:
Norman, do you remember Agnew & Lithgow of Stranrear. they also had a depot in Larne, N.I. I think Montgomery of N.I. took them over.
Smith of Denny is still around.
Cant think who you mean, Maybole of Ayr! Thats 2 different places. Do you mean MacGawn of Ayr?
Do you remember Greenwoods? They used to do multi drop deliveries of magazines on 40 foot flat trailers.
Alex.

If it’s the Greenwoods I’m thinking of (Hoddesdon?), they disappeared into Heron and it all evolved into what is now Fiege Merlin

I remember Agnew & Lithgow shipping out through Fleetwood when I worked for Pandoro, but I’d a recollection that they were taken over by Tibbet & Britten when they were quite small[/quote

Agnew & Lithgow were taken over by Montgomery around the early 80’s.

Here’s a couple of A.A.Taylors.

I am looking for information on Alfred Bell who were originally from Stockport I think. The ran Leyland Mastiff among other things, mainly interested in the lighweight box vans that carried polystyrene.

I knew a couple of fitters who worked for them at a local satelite depot near to my home,

leslie g heath:
I remember Greenwoods, i think they also had a depot at Edmonton.They used to deliver Exchange and Mart on 16 ton Dodge, roped and sheeted and i think they also ran Madators.

Here in Southampton before they were Greenwoods the company was Victory Transport with Ron Hatch as the TM. their site is now all houses.

Regards Pat

long gone !!!
Remeber Wardels from Warrington or perhaps Grapenhall ERF B series and Marathons. I had a B series, VED 571S cant say how fast, but F12’s didn’t stand a chance. Big cam 290, gearbox was fuller, 5 low with 10 on top, only one I ever saw. This truck spent a lot of time around Arras in France. The driver who had her new, must have been top gun with that machine. Dose anyone have any photo’s it would bring back good memories. Retired now tachos bad enough but these card things and the traffic. No thanks, not for me anymore. Rather drive around France in our motorhome still look out for the lads everyone look’s to young or imported drivers (is that polically correct !!!) Anybody remember me I did scrap from Sheffied to Bangor, and stone out of kingstone Minerals. White Knight and Pritchards drivers will remember Overlander, Good luck Lads.

my dad worked for greenwoods from the early 70’s untill they closed hoddesdon in 1985… they were owned by heron then taken over by lex in the early 80’s… he drove the aec’s untill he was given a new fiat in 79/80… i spent many school holiday with him… the rigids were mainly aec mercurys a few leyland lynx’s and a few leyland clydesdale and there was a few seddon atkis 200’s also… i also remember him having a dodge at one point… the artic fleet were fodens which they had quite a few… i also remember the scammell crusaders they didnt have many of them at hoddesdon from wot i can remember… he ended his time with greenwoods driving one of the dafs… the depots that i can remember were southampton,hoddesdon,cambridge,warrington and glasgow (rutherglen). he still talks about his time at greenwoods he said its one of the best companys he worked for… i know i will always remember my school holidays with him and his time at greenwoods.

leslie g heath:
Thinking of my last post and magazines etc.Does anyone remember Biggs,possibly Hemel Hempsted way?They had the IPC magazine contract.
Yellow Guy big J and i seem to remember some Bedford KM artics.

I think you mean A.C.Biggs out of Leighton Buzzard ! Used to load out of Odhams Press & Sun Printers in Watford, also out of Waterlows Dunstable !
At one time they were engaged in International Transport (European) as well !
They lost all the print work to a haulage company from Kings Langley (does Mortimers ring a bell with anyone ?), this was out of Bletchley Milton Keynes !!

Moffatts of Cardenden
W Smith haulage of leicester
Syms of Calne
Joseph Hoyle
Barnfather
Hercock and Simpson Leicester
Browns of barnsley ( green m.a.n on low loaders )
Walker Trowbridge of barnsley
DJ Light of Bath
Star Roadways

Hi gunner, Walker Trowbridge was taken over or amalgamated with/by Truswell so they are still running in one form or another and I think that Truswell moved to their yard in Barnsley.

gunnerheskey:
Moffatts of Cardenden
Syms of Calne
Joseph Hoyle
Barnfather
DJ Light of Bath
Star Roadways

Syms was taken over by Dodd’s, but only after it failed, I think

Jos. Hoyle went to Maxi Haulage, didn’t it?

And aren’t Starr Roadways still in business?

NEJ:
here is some more to add to the list
AA taylor Newton le willows
Kirkdale Lewis haulage of Kirkby L/Pool
Alfred Derbyshire L/Pool
Sayers of Newbury two tone Blue Tankers
Maybole of Ayr
French,s of ■■■■■■■
Michael ,o Leary l/pool
Gearge Davis L/pool
Ritsons [Meat haulage] L/pool
Smiths of denny
N J Grose of st. Austell
Eggbeers of Newton Abbot Devon Brown ERF,s
Fullers Of Brmingham Blue Fodens
NEJ

More here
Charles rickards
Bulens
Venture transport
I worked for these back in the 60’s :unamused:

A H Gore Bristol, moved up to the site that is now the hideaway truck stop ( if you can call it that ) then went broke. When we moved in there we used to keep wheels, oil and spares, all in the building that is now the truck stop. That’s unless they have built something new, not been there for years never rated it, always gave it a wide birth.

altitude:
A H Gore Bristol, moved up to the site that is now the hideaway truck stop ( if you can call it that ) then went broke. When we moved in there we used to keep wheels, oil and spares, all in the building that is now the truck stop. That’s unless they have built something new, not been there for years never rated it, always gave it a wide birth.

Blimey, I’d forgotten A H Gore - used to sub work to them from Lancashire in the 80s and, perhaps, the early 90s

240 Gardner:

altitude:

Blimey, I’d forgotten A H Gore - used to sub work to them from Lancashire in the 80s and, perhaps, the early 90s

Yeah thay had been going for years, One of the best jobs I have ever had, just wish it had lasted longer.

sammyopisite:
Hi gunner, Walker Trowbridge was taken over or amalgamated with/by Truswell so they are still running in one form or another and I think that Truswell moved to their yard in Barnsley.

Your right there sammy, used to have walker truswell on the side of the lorries for a while.
Truswells yard was in Dodwell barnsley j36

240 Gardner:

gunnerheskey:
Moffatts of Cardenden
Syms of Calne
Joseph Hoyle
Barnfather
DJ Light of Bath
Star Roadways

Syms was taken over by Dodd’s, but only after it failed, I think

Jos. Hoyle went to Maxi Haulage, didn’t it?

And aren’t Starr Roadways still in business?

Think Starr roadways was taken over by stillers, iirc their old yard at vulcan rd bilston was full of their lorries.

Hi gunnerheskey. My dad worked for H.Brown & son for about 13 years ,may be even longer. They were bought out by Truswells as well i think. A couple more companies to the list . Towmasters c & g carlisle Wm coopers from wath M P Burkes from wombell

carl jones:
Hi gunnerheskey. My dad worked for H.Brown & son for about 13 years ,may be even longer. They were bought out by Truswells as well i think. A couple more companies to the list . Towmasters c & g carlisle Wm coopers from wath M P Burkes from wombell

Alright Carl J
Remember H Browns very well, used to see them down at southampton docks 35 berth mainly tipping farm machinery.
Didn’t Towmasters have depots at felixstowe and haydock.
Do you remember a firm from barnsley called Armitages, dark blue ivecos with a thick white stripe round the middle.