Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hello All
For those who are interested here is a brief history of Bakers Transport.(most of my information came from my dad and articles from Revs news and an article by Maxine Baker i hope they don’t mind)
George Bakers roots go back to the showland operating a fun fair by traction engines.In 1914 Bakers stopped travelling and built on his haulage operation which he operated during the winter months.
Bakers had a quarry and delivered sand and gravel as well as general haulage.Dad seems to think the site of the quarry may have been where the Tesco warehouse and where your old yard is Pat at Nursling alongside the M271.You maybe able to confirm this.
By 1931 George Baker operated out of Hampton Park Works they also had a depot at Shepherds Bush in London.George Baker was one of the first hauliers to buy a new oil engined ERF in 1933.Steam and petrol was the mainstay of the transport before this.
During the war Bakers would do alot of work for the war office,some of there work involved transporting spitfires and other parts for planes.
George Baker & Sons was nationalised after the war and became British Road Services (BRS). At the time the government tried to stop Leonard Baker from restarting a new company,in opposition to get around the ban Leonard Baker purchased Plascott’s and then changed the name to Bakers Transport Southampton Ltd & operated from New Road where they had a warehouse & yard.This was later purchased by the government to build the 6 dials,they then moved to Bakers Wharf.Dad seems to remember it being an old Esso site.Bakers had some good contracts Esso and Prielli to name but a few.At there peak dad seems to think they ran between 60 to 70 lorries it may have been more?
One question i can’t answer is the exact year Bakers Transport stopped trading at a guess late 70s.
As for the livery yes there is a showmans look i personally liked the colours.If ever i was to come into some money and i could get my hands on a old ERF i would restore it in the Bakers livery.Ill add some photos for those that didn’t see my earlier post on pages 86,87,91 and 92.
Here are some of the other Companies which Bakers had connections with.
Bakers & Dundee & Perth London Shipping Company.
Downer Bakers
Hills Removals
Hampshire Motor Company
Portswood Estates
Bees Finance
Bees Corporation
George Baker sand & balast
HERES A SUPER SENTINEL AND A EARLY ERF OF GEORGE BAKERS

Heres a couple of George Baker lorries transporting some planes

Here are four colour photos of Bakers Transport ERFs

Regards Jacko

Great photos Jacko.Also the photo of the cafe with the name back on.THE SHACK eh! Nobby owes me a large single malt.I notice that an overseas contributor who said that it is DEFINATELY called Bakers Cafe has been quiet.Not that I,m crowing you understand.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Great photos Jacko.Also the photo of the cafe with the name back on.THE SHACK eh! Nobby owes me a large single malt.I notice that an overseas contributor who said that it is DEFINATELY called Bakers Cafe has been quiet.Not that I,m crowing you understand.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

I QUITE AGREE CHARLIE THE BOYS HAVE BEEN A BIT QUIET LATELY :exclamation:

That history of Bakers was very interesting JACKO… cheers. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

altitude:
That history of Bakers was very interesting JACKO… cheers. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hello Altitude
If you go to pages 86/87 and 91/92 there are loads more photos ive put on of Bakers.
Regards Jacko

R-JACKO:

altitude:

Hello Altitude
If you go to pages 86/87 and 91/92 there are loads more photos ive put on of Bakers.
Regards Jacko

Cheers Jacko will do.

hi all , i was surprised to recently find this list of hampshire hauliers on the net for the simple reason it looks a few years old ! , although not every haulier is listed ,its reasonably comprehensive , but which ones are still going and which ones are no longer trading ? .

A Clarke
School Lane Chandler’s Ford Ind Est Eastleigh Hampshire

A.Jerrim Transport
Lowford Southampton Hampshire

A.S Rawlings (Transport) Co.Ltd
Bighton Rd Medstead Alton Hampshire

AFS Haulage Ltd
Winchester Rd Botley Southampton Hampshire

Acorn Transport
Romsey Hampshire

Agency Drivers UK Ltd
Canute Rd Southampton Hampshire

Allbulk Ltd
Bordon Hampshire

Anco Trucking Ltd
Eling Wharf Totton Southampton Hampshire

Andover Transport U.K & Irish Service
Macadam Way West Portway Ind Est Andover Hampshire

Anytime Haulage
New Milton Hampshire

Arthur Emery Haulage
Romsey Hampshire

B.P McKeefry Ltd
Chineham Basingstoke Hampshire

BY Truck Rental
Willments Ind Est,Hazel Rd Woolston Southampton Hampshire

Basil March Refrigerated Transport
Picket Piece Andover Hampshire

Bayliss Transport
Bainshill Ind Est Basingstoke Hampshire

Beck & Pollitzer Ltd
within Novacold, Goodwood Rd Eastleigh Hampshire

Berry W.H & Son
Sherfield English Romsey Hampshire

Black Lion Transport Ltd
Mayfield Avenue Industrial Park Weyhill Andover Hampshire

Boyes Conning Freight Services Ltd
Unit Z Willments Ind Est Hazel Rd Woolston Southampton Hampshire

British International
Portsmouth Rd Ind Est Ashley Crescent Southampton Hampshire

Chargement European Ltd
Liners Ind Est,Pitt Rd Freemantle Southampton Hampshire

C.A Sheppard Haulage
Curdridge Lane Curdridge Southampton Hampshire

CCS Distribution
Nursling Ind Est Nursling Southampton Hampshire

Capital Response
Griffin Industrial Park Totton Southampton Hampshire

Charrett Transport
Botley Rd West End Southampton Hampshire

Chichester Grain Ltd
Emsworth Hampshire

Clay E.C Transport
Wickham Fareham Hampshire

Commodore Haulage (Southampton) Ltd
Eling Wharf,High St Totton Southampton Hampshire

Contract Lifting Services Lt
Rowland’s Castle Hampshire

Cross County Carriers
Eastleigh Hampshire

D F Miller Haulage
Bishops Stoke Eastleigh Hampshire

D.F Ranger & Sons
Micheldever Station Winchester Hampshire

Danzas Chemicals Ltd
Chandler’s Ford Eastleigh Hampshire

Dart Distribution Ltd
Freight Liner Depot Millbrook Rd West Southampton Hampshire

Davies International Refrigerated Transport
Andersons Rd Chapel Southampton Hampshire

Deben Transport (Southampton) Ltd
Andes Rd Nursling Southampton Hampshire

Direct Diesels Ltd
Deer Park, Knowle Lane Fair Oak Eastleigh Hampshire

Doccombe European Ltd
Sandleheath Ind Est Old Brickyard Rd Sandleheath Fordingbridge Hampshire

Dovey’s Haulage (Totton) Ltd
Calmore Rd Totton Southampton Hampshire

Drake Bros Pollards
Moor Rd Copythorne Southampton Hampshire

Edson Distribution Ltd
Griffin Industrial Park Totton Southampton Hampshire

Elite Transport Services (Southampton) Ltd

Elliott Sargeant Ltd
Rushington Business Park Rushington Lane Totton Southampton Hampshire

Euro-PSL Ltd
Continental Ferry Port George Byng Way Portsmouth Hampshire

F.B Atkins & Sons Ltd

Fluen’s Transport Ltd

G Lashley
Southbourne Emsworth Hampshire

Garnett Eurotrans Ltd
Barton Park, Chickenhall Lane Eastleigh Hampshire

Hampshire Holdings
Fordingbridge Hampshire

Harris Transport
Eling Wharf, Eling Lane Totton Southampton Hampshire

Hill & Sons (Botley & Denmead) Ltd
Bottings Ind Est,Station Hill Curdridge Southampton Hampshire

Howard Tenens (Andover) Ltd
Macadam Way West Portway Ind Est Andover Hampshire

Hoyer UK Ltd
Cadland Rd Hardley Southampton Hampshire

I.C.P Haulage
Southampton Hampshire

I.H.T Coxford
Micheldever Station Winchester Hampshire

Ings Transport Ltd
Sandleheath Fordingbridge Hampshire

Initial Transport Services Ltd
Nutwood Way Totton Southampton Hampshire

Inter-Nation Express Ltd
Limberline Rd Portsmouth Hampshire

J.P.I Haulage Ltd
Deacon Ind Est Tower Lane Eastleigh Hampshire

Jordans Transport
Dundas Spur Copnor Portsmouth Hampshire

Keith Dicker Group
Aldershot Hampshire

Knight M & R (Transport) Ltd
Liphook Hampshire

L. Hunt & Sons Ltd
Basingstoke Hampshire

Labour Force
Shedfield Southampton Hampshire

Lambert Brothers (Haulage) Ltd
Woodside Avenue Eastleigh Hampshire

Lorraines Auto Security Parks Ltd
Anglesea Terrace, Chapel Rd Southampton Hampshire

M & D Transport (Southern)
Hedge End Southampton Hampshire

M R B Distribution
Stockbridge Hampshire

Mainland Market Deliveries Ltd
Flathouse Quay Prospect Rd Portsmouth Hampshire

Maritime Haulage Ltd
Millbrook Rd Southampton Hampshire

Maxi Haulage Ltd
Macadam Way,West Portway Ind Est Andover Hampshire

Meachers Transport Ltd ,
Mauretania Road, Southampton,Hampshire,

Melbourne Freight Services
Eversley Hook.Hampshire.

Mid Hants Bulk Haulage Ltd
South Warnborough Hook Hampshire

N Riley (Haulage) Ltd
Eling Wharf, High St Totton Southampton Hampshire

Norbert DentressangleTransport
George Byng Way Portsmouth Hampshire

Norman Offer (Transport) Ltd
Southern Rd Southampton Hampshire

P & O GBE Intermodal
Railroader House, Wharf Rd Portsmouth Hampshire

P J D Transport
Nursling Southampton Hampshire

P Skinner
Holbury Southampton Hampshire

Paul Hodgson Transport
Hook Hampshire

Pentalver Transport
Western Avenue, Western Docks, Southampton Hampshire,

Philson Haulage
Horndean Waterlooville Hampshire

Philson Haulage
Whiteley Fareham Hampshire

Pitter Bros Ltd
Botley Rd West End Southampton Hampshire

Priddy’s Transport Ltd
Old Basing Basingstoke Hampshire

R & M Freight (Southampton) Ltd
Abbey Mill Station Rd Bishops Waltham Southampton Hampshire

R B I Transport
Fleet Hampshire

Riva South Limited
Chalcroft Distribution Park, Burnetts Lane, Southampton

Ridgers Transport Ltd
Ridgers Garage, Stanford Rd Lymington Hampshire

Roadways Container Logistics Ltd
Nursling Trailer Park, Test Lane Nursling Southampton Hampshire

Royers Ltd
Chalcroft Distribution Park West End Southampton

Sea Route Ferry Ltd
Sea Route House, Chickenhall Lane Eastleigh Hampshire

Seabrook International Transport Ltd
Barton Park Ind Est Chickenhall Lane Eastleigh Hampshire

Sibley Material Movements Ltd
Andes Rd,Nursling Ind Est Nursling Southampton Hampshire

Sinclair Refrigerated Vehicles Ltd
Continental Ferry Port George Byng Way Portsmouth Hampshire

Skillbeech Ltd
Bakers Wharf,Millbank St Southampton Hampshire

Snook Transport Ltd
New Rd Little London Tadley Hampshire

Solent Express Ltd
London Rd Portsmouth Hampshire

Southern Transport Services
Andes Rd Nursling Southampton Hampshire

Stanford Distribution Ltd
West Portway Ind Est Andover Hampshire

Strides Haulage Ltd
Ropley Alresford Hampshire

T.D.G Logistics
Eling Wharf, Eling Lane Totton Southampton Hampshire

T.J Transport
Flathouse Rd,Flathouse Quay Portsmouth Hampshire

Tanks Speed Ltd
Horsefair Tower Horsefair Romsey Hampshire

Taylor Barnard Container Services Ltd

Test Valley Freight
Whitchurch Hampshire

Trans European Port Services Ltd
Dock Gate 8 Western Dock West Bay Rd Southampton Hampshire

Trimtruk Road Haulage
Weyhill Rd Andover Hampshire

W Carter (Haulage) Ltd
Lorraines Auto Security Park Anglesea Terrace Southampton Hampshire

W Sibley & Son
Shawcross Industrial Park Ackworth Rd Hilsea Portsmouth Hampshire

W.J Stevens

W.R Emery Ltd
Shirrell Heath Southampton Hampshire

Whitehorn Transport
Ashurst Southampton Hampshire

Williams Of Bordon Ltd
Bordon Hampshire

Williams Shipping Group Ltd
Millbrook Southampton Hampshire

Winter T.N
Fritham Lyndhurst Hampshire

Pat,you must be the man for this job.It made me dizzy just scrolling down.A lot are no longer with us I can see.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Pat,you must be the man for this job.It made me dizzy just scrolling down.A lot are no longer with us I can see.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hello Charlie
I reckon at least 15■■?
Regards Jacko

Hi R Jacko been reading your Bakers Bit, interesting, if you ever get your ERF i know just the guy to sign write it for ya !
Pete Green, prob one of the only old school sign writters left in Southampton, worked for John Zillwood (Zillwood Signs) done work for lots of Southampton companys before the vinyl sticky do it your self came to town. He did a lot for Sea Route Ferrys, Shamara, Pentalver, Bob Cartwright, Free hand straight off the brush !! Oh yeah and my truck.
ive Just spoken to him and he seems to think that Ted Zillwood used to sign write Bakers trucks now Zillwoods have been going since 1887 so that could be true !! Just a bit more info. :smiley: :smiley: R Jimski

charlie one:
Just been on to the Road transport website.Very interesting re Boyes Conning.It appears that Millgold bought BC from G J Cooper for a Pound.And then ran up debts of £74000. They seem to owe Coopers a hell of a lot.Strange eh? watch this space.I wonder if Coopers will buy Boyes back as a going concern? Any thoughts? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

hi all i heard its all a big front for a company called tinnerlys from ireland have brought them also this week that marc [bubbles] might know is that g
eorge taylors of bristol are closing there doors at the end of the month get clicking bubbles
regaerds gazzap

gazzap:

charlie one:
Just been on to the Road transport website.Very interesting re Boyes Conning.It appears that Millgold bought BC from G J Cooper for a Pound.And then ran up debts of £74000. They seem to owe Coopers a hell of a lot.Strange eh? watch this space.I wonder if Coopers will buy Boyes back as a going concern? Any thoughts? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

hi all i heard its all a big front for a company called tinnerlys from ireland have brought them also this week that marc [bubbles] might know is that g
eorge taylors of bristol are closing there doors at the end of the month get clicking bubbles
regaerds gazzap

Hello Gaz
If that is true about George Taylors of Bristol that is sad news :frowning:.We used to run with them alot on Pitters doing NYK work.There lorries were always immaculate and still are,at that time i understand there drivers were looked after as well :smiley:
Regards Jacko

Hi Jako
Ive told these bad pupils the Baker story before but they just dont read.
I like thephotos though.
To see many more good pics come to Keynesham tonight for a Bubbleman slide show bring a donation for the raffel.
All bad pupils 100 lines I must be good.

Gazzer,you asked what the link was between those trucks on p26, well the SVL tanker belonged to Southern Van Lines owned by Cawthorne (of cawthorn and sinclair fame after they folded). Operated by Rick Carlton. RIP and Les Flack in Southampton. Work was mainly Plastic granules from France to UK. The company later started a French ofice in Le Havre to make life easier and to control deliveries of unacompanied trailers.
Alan also started Tyne Shipping & Forwarding in Newcastle,under the same umbrella.
Later the company name changed when the Rick and Les started on their own as Kingswood, but doing the same work.
Will attach a few more pictures when I get them sorted out.
TB

I thinkI had better introduce myself as I had been on here before but lost the link .
My name is Tony Barber now living in Mexico near Merida.
My resume for companies is as follows (If I can remember it all//lol)
Not Necessarily in the right order :smiley:

S.L.Paddicks agencies (Hedge End)(Transits & D series delivering AC Delco filters around the UK)
Meachers Tpt (Soton)
Hills of Botley (Got my class one) (Heavy and general)
Howells and Reavells (Soton depot) (International)
Hardin Bros (Avonmouth) (Ships stores)
PBC Tpt (Scholing) (International)
BFC Tpt (Eastleigh) (Containers and general)
SVL Tpt (Eastleigh) (International)
Contract work various companies.
Kingswood (International)
Webbs country foods (Winchester) (Chicken slaughter house)
Agencies (Soton)
Tesco (Milton Keynes)
Now I do a occasional driving for a Mexican company delivering drinking water to Canxcun in doubles mainly with a Kenmex T660 double stick.

Jimski:
Hi R Jacko been reading your Bakers Bit, interesting, if you ever get your ERF i know just the guy to sign write it for ya !
Pete Green, prob one of the only old school sign writters left in Southampton, worked for John Zillwood (Zillwood Signs) done work for lots of Southampton companys before the vinyl sticky do it your self came to town. He did a lot for Sea Route Ferrys, Shamara, Pentalver, Bob Cartwright, Free hand straight off the brush !! Oh yeah and my truck.
ive Just spoken to him and he seems to think that Ted Zillwood used to sign write Bakers trucks now Zillwoods have been going since 1887 so that could be true !! Just a bit more info. :smiley: :smiley: R Jimski

Hello Jimski
If ever i win the lottery i will remember that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

10 out of 10 Tony for the SVL issue, taken a while for the answer to come thru. Thats what i like about this site, someone always knows, its just a matter of time!

Todd and I were only talking about the missing Kingswood names on here, yours being one of them! Welcome. you will see “Kipper” Nicklen has put in an appearance a bit back. Hibernating now. Todd is on holiday the the moment in Egypt so he will have his five penneth when he gets back unless he is soooo sad he logs in whilst away!

Get yer fotos on!

hi this is the n i g you lot still talk crap, but hey your drivers what do i expect. a39 grj i drove that pianted her and all the rest of mwb fleet, got pulled for chasing cars, as you do. pulled one gearnob out through his sun roof on the a13, locked the doors but left the roof open. hey open opertunity have some. remember dave chivers at eurohaul , drianed his engine oil on the scania, jumped in it after tea break built the air up to adjust the brakes. you done the oil dave"" ah"" no! no oil no filter, she still fired up ok. anyone remember john munn. ek munner ex eurohaul, trevor chapman tok 12.74 out off the work shop new legs just fitted dropped off the back rolled into pitters yard bent the legs agian back in the workshop more legs fitted. trevor pulled a 40ft out off the shop welder still conected to it blew the sub station fuses the welder was out side srts yard. trev was gone, never felt a thing. remember the brady"" he still reaches in and turns the key, done it today, good job the brake on brady good fitter as long as ime with him. his apprentaship is ending soon so look out. mr evans not the stroke you were looking for i doubt, no1 boy wonder was in here the other day he didnt say anything was wrong. still i looked good in the suit, never had it long wore it once. one night painting the ceiling, after a few sherbits? as you do.some one sneaked in drunk all the sherry, dropped the 5 litre can off emulsion all over the table the suit the floor the dog the carpet, i must have disturbed him cos iwas white as well (never seen) i had to have a bath with water and soap. winker wainright round the other day , still the old soldiers about. pat ever heard anything from carl ex jamies workshop, bye the nig

Hello Gringo Hi Tony dont know if you remember me but i expect you’ll remember my ex Brother in law Taffy Davis hello from us :laughing:
Regards Jimski

Hiya Jimski,I think I do, :confused: but I do remember Taffy and still remember his real name (good Welsh one) but promised wouldnt use it :laughing: …give him my regards.We certainly ran a few containers together 50mph on the motorways…lol
Taffy allways nursed his old Volvo…
Very nice guy.
Tony B