Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

charlie one:

I worked with Bob Burton on Aylwards at Farringdon in 1959 Later they became Christopher hill.Jock died last year RIP.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
Hi Charlie

Sorry to hear about Jock I suppose old John Hill has gone too he was a good age when he was at Sea Route although when he left I think he carried on driving for Mays Motors I believe.

Frank Evans, Jim Copley, Denny Hume and Kevin Connelly are unfortunately all gone RIP

ainacs:

Leemazz:
I remember Frank Evans not too sure about the others . Were the pumps facing you as you went through the gates im not to sure its about 28 years ago when i was last there and i was only about 5 or 6 years old . Have you converted that into a sleeper Pat ?

Hi Lee

Yes I did convert that old ‘K’ Reg AEC Mercury into a sleeper cab pics were taken around 1977.

The pumps were at the back of the yard you could not see them from the road, but if you drove in from Empress Road and straight in past the offices the yard doglegged to the left that was where the two pumps were under a canopy.

1977 i was one . That sleeper job must have been hard work or good planning with the body in the way interesting stuff , guess you wouldnt see things like that these days . Was the garage opposite the pumps im racking my brain here

Leemazz:

ainacs:

Leemazz:
I remember Frank Evans not too sure about the others . Were the pumps facing you as you went through the gates im not to sure its about 28 years ago when i was last there and i was only about 5 or 6 years old . Have you converted that into a sleeper Pat ?

Hi Lee

Yes I did convert that old ‘K’ Reg AEC Mercury into a sleeper cab pics were taken around 1977.

The pumps were at the back of the yard you could not see them from the road, but if you drove in from Empress Road and straight in past the offices the yard doglegged to the left that was where the two pumps were under a canopy.

1977 i was one . That sleeper job must have been hard work or good planning with the body in the way interesting stuff , guess you wouldnt see things like that these days . Was the garage opposite the pumps im racking my brain here

You are making feel old now!

No the workshops were right around thefront of the building and faced onto the back of the Empress Road houses.

The sleeper conversion was not too bad because as the old AEC’s suffered from overheating they fitted a great big header tank behind the cab, so I did not have to move the body/headboard at all, but I cut an old cab about halfway over the doors and joined it behind the doors on mine, I remember gas welding right across the roof took ages!

My ex driver Paddy Keoghan gave me these to put on

NAR 608P a Scania 140

It was ex Pan Express vehicle (One of Marc Bubbleman’s old pics thanks)

Is that the compressor poking out below the bumper it looks massive if it is . It looks like it has some miles on the clock that one Pat .

Leemazz:
Is that the compressor poking out below the bumper it looks massive if it is . It looks like it has some miles on the clock that one Pat .

No Lee it is the bottom of the old type oil bath air filter

ainacs:

charlie one:

I worked with Bob Burton on Aylwards at Farringdon in 1959 Later they became Christopher hill.Jock died last year RIP.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Charlie

Sorry to hear about Jock I suppose old John Hill has gone too he was a good age when he was at Sea Route although when he left I think he carried on driving for Mays Motors I believe.

Frank Evans, Jim Copley, Denny Hume and Kevin Connelly are unfortunately all gone RIP
[/quote]
Hi Pat.Yes John Hill has gone also.I worked with him in the early sixties at Mays Motors.Good old days.After Sea Route he went on for Cranleigh Freight doing two to Paris a week.I last saw him in Glasgow in the ninties.Still on for Cranleigh. He was then seventy five.Lovely man.RIP John.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Charlie

Thanks for that info on old John I did not know him long but he always had a great big smile on his face

RIP John Hill

Hello All
Going through dads photo album came across this photo of a old cafe.Todays quiz can anyone name the cafe■■?
I can’t wait to see some of the post after the last photos i put up.

Regards Jacko

I think that must be Baker’s Cafe just outside Basingstoke on the righthand side of the A33 towards Hartley Whitney it has a fairground yard at the back.

I think it is still open but not been through there for a while though.

Looks like it to me too Pat, it’s still there and open but not much room to park a truck, fairfolk still round the back.

Hi Pat.I have always known it as the Shack.Walls Fairs are the people at the back.They also own the cafe.Did Bakers use it a lot.Hence the name eh? Gazzer.Can you email me a photo of yourself wearing those shorts.I want to put it on the mantlepiece.It will keep the Grandchildren away from the fire! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

ainacs:
I think that must be Baker’s Cafe just outside Basingstoke on the righthand side of the A33 towards Hartley Whitney it has a fairground yard at the back.

I think it is still open but not been through there for a while though.

Pat.

Definitely Bakers cafe. Last time Monty was there, he got to the door, realized he’s left his paper in the cab, and walked back to the wagon, there was matey with a length of hose, a pump, and a drum, ready to “borrow” some diesel, just to “ clean the tar off me shovel mate “ no doubt.
Nothing changes eh! thieving gits ! needless to say, he’s not been back.

charlie one:
Hi Pat.I have always known it as the Shack.Walls Fairs are the people at the back.They also own the cafe.Did Bakers use it a lot.Hence the name eh? :laughing: :laughing:

Think that Bakers were originally Fairground people, and hence owned the land behind and the cafe. Fairground people have been behind that cafe ever since I can remember, that’s at least 50 odd years. So I’m guessing that when Baker took up transport they sold off the site to the present lot. If you remember, Bakers fleet always looked like fairground wagons with the gold leaf sign writing.

Just been on to the Road transport website.Very interesting re Boyes Conning.It appears that Millgold bought BC from G J Cooper for a Pound.And then ran up debts of £74000. They seem to owe Coopers a hell of a lot.Strange eh? watch this space.I wonder if Coopers will buy Boyes back as a going concern? Any thoughts? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Just been on to the Road transport website.Very interesting re Boyes Conning.It appears that Millgold bought BC from G J Cooper for a Pound.And then ran up debts of £74000. They seem to owe Coopers a hell of a lot.Strange eh? watch this space.I wonder if Coopers will buy Boyes back as a going concern? Any thoughts? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

its supposidly a complete and utter mess at the moment. No-one knows who is doing what for who. whole group is apparently £1.7 million in the red!!!

GeorgieBoy:

charlie one:

its supposidly a complete and utter mess at the moment. No-one knows who is doing what for who. whole group is apparently £1.7 million in the red!!!

Hi George.I,m sure it is a mess and I,m very sad.Gave me a living for a while.I see Simon Webb refused to comment.I think Graham Westcott knew what he was doing when he sold out.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

that

TIR Original:

ainacs:
Hi found this advert in a 1966 Commercial Motor for Eric Baker’s Hampshire Motor Company was an ERF dealer here in Southampton.

Regards Pat

Hi Pat, that was a nice find in that old Commercial Motor edition on Eric Bakers Company. Proves what I was saying earlier about the HMC standing for Hampshire Motor Company was true. So long ago now that many people have forgotten about it. Quite a well known fact back then that when he was asked to quote for a job and when he could do it, he had to take into acount how long it would take to build the trailer. By the way did you know (although you should be able to tell by his livery) that he was originally from a ‘showmans’ family ? Just top side of Basingstoke on the old A33 there is or was “Bakers’ Transport Cafe” and used to be a fairground yard out the back. One and the same family !!
Yes quite a character our old Eric George Baker. Love him or hate him,you had to admire him as a business man and he was quite a regular sight around Southampton in his car of the day reg. No. EGB 1. Don’t know what happened to that No. when he died but I believe his daughter had it for a while.

RE: BAKERS CAFE.BASINGSTOKE.

Obviously I’m found to be a boring old ■■■■ and nobody reads my posts. As you see from my post above from page 61 that I’d already covered the relationship with Bakers Transport. The cafe was actually named “Bakers Cafe”,so wether you called it the shack or any other name it was always “Bakers”. I do believe thats what you’ve always called it Pat. Am I right ?

Nobby how could anyone possibly call you a boring old ■■■■.Boring yes.Old yes but a flatulant never! I am looking forward to my large single malt.Still say it was the Shack.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

ainacs:

Leemazz:
Oh wow !! ACG 724V my dad drove that from new until the engine gave up the other one was drove by a guy they called billy one drop . Steve Royds had his own motors for a while he had three Scania 142s and pulled for sea route .

Bob is on his own now still forwarding he is based in Middleton somewhere . The pig and whistle is still there the last time i went past . I remember going in there as a kid on a saturday afternoon thinking i was a trucker and just generally annoying everybody .

I knew about Frank rolling one i think he rolled another as well i might be wrong though . Before my dad had ACG he had an old N reg i think , i will ask him tomorrow . i can just about remember it having the handbrake on top of the dash and a massive white steering wheel .

Hi Lee

I think that 110 was a GHO54N?? registration Searoute had two GHO’s 53/54 and the late Jim Copley drove the other one from the Southampton depot.

Hello Pat

My dad had GHO 58N the other was 59 so close enough .

Had a good chat with my dad today and he remembers you !! Did you used to take a big dog with you , he said nobody would get in your cab . The Talbot pub has now been knocked down and replaced with an Aldi or Lidls . Also Steve Royds was at Archbolds last he heard . Frank Brandon was on with runs to the middle east after sea route and turns up from time to time .

He said the Talbot used to be like Southamptons yard at night because thats were you all parked .

TIR Original:
that

TIR Original:

ainacs:
Hi found this advert in a 1966 Commercial Motor for Eric Baker’s Hampshire Motor Company was an ERF dealer here in Southampton.

Regards Pat

Hi Pat, that was a nice find in that old Commercial Motor edition on Eric Bakers Company. Proves what I was saying earlier about the HMC standing for Hampshire Motor Company was true. So long ago now that many people have forgotten about it. Quite a well known fact back then that when he was asked to quote for a job and when he could do it, he had to take into acount how long it would take to build the trailer. By the way did you know (although you should be able to tell by his livery) that he was originally from a ‘showmans’ family ? Just top side of Basingstoke on the old A33 there is or was “Bakers’ Transport Cafe” and used to be a fairground yard out the back. One and the same family !!
Yes quite a character our old Eric George Baker. Love him or hate him,you had to admire him as a business man and he was quite a regular sight around Southampton in his car of the day reg. No. EGB 1. Don’t know what happened to that No. when he died but I believe his daughter had it for a while.

RE: BAKERS CAFE.BASINGSTOKE.

Obviously I’m found to be a boring old ■■■■ and nobody reads my posts. As you see from my post above from page 61 that I’d already covered the relationship with Bakers Transport. The cafe was actually named “Bakers Cafe”,so wether you called it the shack or any other name it was always “Bakers”. I do believe thats what you’ve always called it Pat. Am I right ?

Hello Nobby
You are right the cafe was called Bakers Cafe back in the old days :laughing: ,when this photo was taken it was known as The Shack Cafe.Dad said it was still there a couple of years ago.The last time i used it was about 16 yrs ago.Heres the photo with the name put back.As you say there maybe a connection with the Baker family.
ps i will put a post on about the history of Bakers tomorrow

Regards Jacko