Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

The Gringo:
Hiya Jimski,I think I do, :confused: but I do remember Taffy and still remember his real name (good Welsh one) but promised wouldnt use it :laughing: …give him my regards.We certainly ran a few containers together 50mph on the motorways…lol
Taffy allways nursed his old Volvo…
Very nice guy.
Tony B

Long way to immigrate Gringo!! Thought starting a new life in France was bad enough, but Mexico takes some beating!! :astonished:
Tell us the story ■■

Hi Gringo i just text Taff (Arthian :laughing: woops ) and passed on your regards, I was on for Rick (R.I.P.) and Les on Kingswood with my Volvo 88 which i used to keep at Malcome Millards yard at Flexford, uesd to do lot of ATO to Newbury I think you were on for Kingswood on thier White later after i left. :laughing: Happy times !!!

ainacs:

Jimski:
Hi Pat have you still got thoese pics of my old F88 there was one with ATO load taken at thatcham ■■?

THis one??

Hi Gringo remember these loads !(my volvo)

Hi Gringo remember these loads ! at Thatcham (my volvo) remember ■■? R Jimski

Hi Lads

Just back from a short weeks holiday with the family in Majorca even had a couple of days rain!!! :frowning: :frowning:

Spotted these from Marc (Bubblemans) Scrapbook thread with a Southampton interest.

Bulwarks I think that is the old Southampton phone prefix 0703 on the door

Norman Offers with the same telephone prefix on the side of the cab roof.

hi , someone must have steped in , this was in the job center today .

Vacancy from
Job No:SOM/45485
Wage Exceeds Nat Min Wage dep on experience
Hours 48 PER WEEK, MONDAY- FRIDAY, 6 AM TO FINISH
Location WEST END , SOUTHAMPTON, HANTS. SO30
Duration Permanent
Date posted 21 September 2010
Pension details No details held
Description
You must hold the relevant licence. There are various types of work that this employer undertakes from local to long distance. The work is both class one and class two to delivering a range of goods. You should have good customer skills and experience in a similar role. . If Simon is not available ask for Mark Stone.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by telephoning 02380 601018 and asking for Simon Webb.
Employer
Boyes Conning

could be tempted myself , over 12 years hgv driving , self employed hackney carriage and private hire driver at the moment , as the industry has been so quiet , most of the jobs in soton area seem to be temporary via agencys !

in fact the name on the ad has been changed to tinnelly today ! .

pdw:
in fact the name on the ad has been changed to tinnelly today ! .

Went on to the Road Transport Web site and Typed in Tinnelly.What a mixture.
Lot of jiggery pokery there. No time to copy it all out.Very interesting.
As they have lost the Palletways contract,where is all the work coming from?
I phoned to speak to Simon Webb.All I got was “No comment”
Watch this space.
Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys but I think Bowdens were a far better organisation than BFC…

J & H at Nottingham hauling for Plasterboard out of East Leake & Gotham.

I remember IRVINGS having the Plasterbpard contract … but havent seen there wagons for a while

R-JACKO:
Hello All
For those who are interested here is a brief history of Bakers Transport.(most of my information came from my dad and articles from Revs news and an article by Maxine Baker i hope they don’t mind)
George Bakers roots go back to the showland operating a fun fair by traction engines.In 1914 Bakers stopped travelling and built on his haulage operation which he operated during the winter months.
Bakers had a quarry and delivered sand and gravel as well as general haulage.Dad seems to think the site of the quarry may have been where the Tesco warehouse and where your old yard is Pat at Nursling alongside the M271.You maybe able to confirm this.
By 1931 George Baker operated out of Hampton Park Works they also had a depot at Shepherds Bush in London.George Baker was one
Regards Jacko

Hi Jacko

When I first rented this yard it was from a man called Edwin Hickox who was married to Eric Bakers sister he told me the Baker family had a lot of land here but there were several compulsory purchases first by the SEB to build the Sub Station and then by the Highways to build the M27.

By the way this yard was the concrete batching plant when MacAlpines built that motorway

Another pic from Marc (Bubbleman)'s Scrapbook thread this time Lambert Bros loaded I bet from Searles of Fareham with air conditioning cooling units, I have loaded lots of trailers from the same place for Italy when we subbed for Jameson Europa.

Hi All, Hi Pat I got your P.M. so its a mystery then :unamused: Your Last post yeah thats def a Searle load i remember doing them for Jamies as well when i was on for you. Did i tell you my brother works for them.( Searle )When was that pic taken then.? couldnt be that long ago the other trucks a 56 plate. Jimski

ainacs:

R-JACKO:
Hello All
For those who are interested here is a brief history of Bakers Transport.(most of my information came from my dad and articles from Revs news and an article by Maxine Baker i hope they don’t mind)
George Bakers roots go back to the showland operating a fun fair by traction engines.In 1914 Bakers stopped travelling and built on his haulage operation which he operated during the winter months.
Bakers had a quarry and delivered sand and gravel as well as general haulage.Dad seems to think the site of the quarry may have been where the Tesco warehouse and where your old yard is Pat at Nursling alongside the M271.You maybe able to confirm this.
By 1931 George Baker operated out of Hampton Park Works they also had a depot at Shepherds Bush in London.George Baker was one
Regards Jacko

Hi Jacko

When I first rented this yard it was from a man called Edwin Hickox who was married to Eric Bakers sister he told me the Baker family had a lot of land here but there were several compulsory purchases first by the SEB to build the Sub Station and then by the Highways to build the M27.

By the way this yard was the concrete batching plant when MacAlpines built that motorway

Hello Pat
Thanks for the info about your yard its amazing what info you can get from these threads.Are you still at this yard?
Regards Jacko

Jimski, Just to enlighten you about retirement to Mexico, and I hope not bore you all to much. :unamused: I will be posting some pics when I get them sorted.
I had an idea about retiring after seeing a few over 60s drivers shunting around on dead end jobs, :frowning: thought I dont want to go there :open_mouth: so,looked at my shares (Tesco) and savings :stuck_out_tongue: and thought , hmm ok lets look at Canada, :slight_smile: oops sorry your to old (58?), :unamused: What!!! Ok so lets try USA, any place to get out of Europe. NANANA …sorry no green card, :cry: maybe next decade :unamused:
Well went to Cancun for a holiday and found 1, Its cheap…2.Houses are cheap. 3. Beer is cheap. 4. SUN (average 90 deg.) So had a few more hols there and decided yes!!!
Found a house on the Internet and moved over on my 60th Birthday, only to find the house had been sold a few days previous…s**** :angry: The real estate agents took us around for a few days and we found a few we liked, then the hard part, :confused: choices are wide and various but finally chose a nice house on the beach in Progreso about 30 mins from Merida. This is the life, :sunglasses: made friends with a local transport operator and had a few trips to Cancun from Merida with drinking water pulling doubles, or sometimes a kind of cement called (Cal), with doublebulkers lucky I had had experience with bulkers on SVL Soton. Only trouble was getting the load holes to line up to load, Mex drivers got it first time …me…well maybe the third or fourth time :unamused: but had some good laughs with them good bunch of guys very helpfull… :wink:
The retirement was going great, bar b q`s cool drinks on the pateo watching the sun go down, YES!!! This is the life. :sunglasses: But as in all good fairy tales along comes a bad fairy… :open_mouth: Cancer, :open_mouth: my wife contacted a Cancer in her leg and once diagnosed took only 10 days to have the operation and sort it. I cannot believe how good the hospitals here are, the medical care will I believe beat every other hospital I have known. First class all the way. We have been told that if we had been in UK then I would be alone now. :cry: So for the last three years I have been totaly involved with caring for my wife, learning to be cook, house husband, nurse, carer, and now with the house needing decorating I have learned to tile and repair (where needed) with concrete and cement.
We have now put our house on the market as my wife would like to rejoin the human race in Europe, seeing as its only a few hours flying time to England and friends, instead of 10-12 hours to Mexico, but saying that I love it here and the people are so friendly and helpfull. Sorry to drag on but things needed to be explained.
TBee

R-JACKO:

gazzap:

charlie one:
Just been on to the Road transport website.Very interesting re Boyes Conning.It appears that Millgold bought BC from G J Cooper for a Pound.And then ran up debts of £74000. They seem to owe Coopers a hell of a lot.Strange eh? watch this space.I wonder if Coopers will buy Boyes back as a going concern? Any thoughts? Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

hi all i heard its all a big front for a company called tinnerlys from ireland have brought them also this week that marc [bubbles] might know is that g
eorge taylors of bristol are closing there doors at the end of the month get clicking bubbles
regaerds gazzap

Hello Gaz
If that is true about George Taylors of Bristol that is sad news :frowning:.We used to run with them alot on Pitters doing NYK work.There lorries were always immaculate and still are,at that time i understand there drivers were looked after as well :smiley:
Regards Jacko

Hello Gazzap
Gar indeed you are correct about George Taylors closing there doors at the end of the month :frowning: I personally think its a shame that a family run firm which im told has been in transport for more than 90yrs can not make it pay anymore.I wonder how many more firms like this will end up the same way :frowning: I took this photo on the way home last night.I know this lorry does not belong on this thread but you can see from the photo how immaculate his lorrys are.It makes a change to see a lorry with a bit of colour :smiley:

Regards Jacko

Hi Gringo wow what a story that is mate ! hope your wife’s recovering well now, when are you heading back this way then ■■
as winter is just around the corner ! :frowning: R Jimski.

The Gringo:
. Operated by Rick Carlton. RIP and Les Flack in Southampton. TB

This isn’t Ricky Carlton that use to work in the traffic offic at Bulwark tankers in Nutsey Lane at Totton in an around the '70’s ?

Hello TIR Original
Nobby ive copyed a quote that you wrote on the Buwark thread which reads
“Does anyone remember the training vehicle that Bulwarks had at Chippenham ? I was a driver for Jameson International at Southampton and the company was bought by United Transport at the end of the 60’s. Some of us were sent to Chippenham to be assessed or trained at their depot there. The unit was an old Atkinson and the trailer was a tank with the front section turned into what I can only explain as a kind of greenhouse. This is where a few drivers would sit with the trainer who had radio contact with the cab. The trainer was quite a character and would not hesitate to tell who was behind the wheel at the time that it was capable of 60mph and not to dawdle ! Did anyone else out there experience this or remember the vehicle or trailer. Surely there must be somebody who either worked at Chippenham or visited the depot on here”.
Nobby i spoke to Mike and he remembers this training vehicle the vehicle was a Seddon and he took his class1 in it.He said that the trainer was ex army and was quiet a character.
Nobby if you google British Pathe, and search “Bulwark training vehicle” there is a short film of this vehicle. Its best viewed in full screen, proper training with gearbox exhibits and a blackboard :wink:If its easier you can go on the Bulwark thread there is a direct link towards the bottom of page one.
Regards Jacko

Hello Mappo
Tony did you drive a leyland Marathon (SLO 707R) im sure you posted a photo of the Marathon on here somewhere but im dammed if i can find it■■?
Regards Jacko