Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Red and white? Or red and cream? Or just dirty!

Looks to be Queen`s Park.
And those trailers were still in use years later, with some pale blue paint slapped on the chassis.

Way back when we had about ten trucks on traction for the likes of STS and Skillbeech I had an F12 pulling Armstrong tanks, two trips a week to France usually one to the Macon area then one to Bordeaux, used to love that work especially if you had a road tank like in the shot rather than an ISO tank, with a road tank they IIRC had three pots with a small one in the middle which was normally not filled as you had your weight with the other two pots, the ISO things we used to generally fill up as it travelled much nicer without end slop even though it was over the weight limit.
When loading in the Bordeaux area a lot of trucks used Central Routier to do customs, always busy and you lost a lot of time so I always went on up to Surmair in the rail yard with the agent across the road put in papers walk 100mtr to a cafe have a coffee 20 minutes and you were on your way for the night boat happy days them, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Way back when we had about ten trucks on traction for the likes of STS and Skillbeech I had an F12 pulling Armstrong tanks, two trips a week to France usually one to the Macon area then one to Bordeaux, used to love that work especially if you had a road tank like in the shot rather than an ISO tank, with a road tank they IIRC had three pots with a small one in the middle which was normally not filled as you had your weight with the other two pots, the ISO things we used to generally fill up as it travelled much nicer without end slop even though it was over the weight limit.
When loading in the Bordeaux area a lot of trucks used Central Routier to do customs, always busy and you lost a lot of time so I always went on up to Surmair in the rail yard with the agent across the road put in papers walk 100mtr to a cafe have a coffee 20 minutes and you were on your way for the night boat happy days them, Buzzer

I think you`re right that most of the road barrels were 3 pots, but they had one or two, (maybe that is one there?) that had about 8 pots.
As you say they rode better than a the ISO tanks, especially if taking cream out with all that ullage.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:

blue estate:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
What’s happened to FH Roberts??

Sold up about 2/3 year ago and Riva brought them out , now Riva are trying to run all the stuff they had in Barton park in Roberts yard :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Ah ok. Yea I know Riva as I made a collection there on Thursday, also went to their other yard at chalcroft business park. My uncle worked for Roberts for years. He retired a while back now though. But I don’t see him much so didn’t know about Roberts

I work for GIT opposite RIVA

gazzer:
A E Parker, based in Chichester had a family connection with Tom Parker of Fareham.
Now I have no proof of this but most of us in and around Southampton know of Tom Parker’s Dairies. The dairy was on Gosport Road, Fareham until maybe the beginning of the new millenium where it was sold off for redevelopment and morphed into retirement flats or the like.
Tom Parker was a farmer in and around Fareham. His son, Tom…was recently in charge of the farming business and has handed over to his son…Tom (it’s in the name).
They are a member of the Trinity Grain grain store co-operative and I collected there (between Fareham and Wickham) every summer, producing some very good quality grain.
PS All those VOLVO F88’s supplied by Prince’s Commercials Southampton.

Parker meadows nursing home ,

DEANB:
Richard, I know you owned the F89 reg EAA 455S and sold it to Ian Rycroft. Do you know how many F89’s he had in total as have this pic of
reg PAA 708P so assume he had at least 2.

Hi Dean,
Hope you are well,I’m not sure how many F89’s he had, he kept pestering me to sell EAA 455 S and in the end I did, he got Princes to restore it and sent it to Bosnia, and I ended up with RMU 981Y F12 Globetrotter which he ran.Truck and Driver did a test match with RMU against a new F12,in December 1991,she had done over a million kms by that time.

Kind Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

DEANB:
Richard, I know you owned the F89 reg EAA 455S and sold it to Ian Rycroft. Do you know how many F89’s he had in total as have this pic of
reg PAA 708P so assume he had at least 2.

Hi Dean,
Hope you are well,I’m not sure how many F89’s he had, he kept pestering me to sell EAA 455 S and in the end I did, he got Princes to restore it and sent it to Bosnia, and I ended up with RMU 981Y F12 Globetrotter which he ran.Truck and Driver did a test match with RMU against a new F12,in December 1991,she had done over a million kms by that time.

Kind Regards
Richard

Ok Richard thanks for the reply. :wink:

Buzzer

robthedog:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:

blue estate:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
What’s happened to FH Roberts??

Sold up about 2/3 year ago and Riva brought them out , now Riva are trying to run all the stuff they had in Barton park in Roberts yard :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Ah ok. Yea I know Riva as I made a collection there on Thursday, also went to their other yard at chalcroft business park. My uncle worked for Roberts for years. He retired a while back now though. But I don’t see him much so didn’t know about Roberts

RIVA bought Boyes Conning as well when it went pear shaped

Just to set the record straight, Riva did not buy Boyes Conning nor F H Roberts

Following the demise of Boyes Conning,the business was wound down & the equipment sold at auction.IIRC,Riva did buy some of it

FH Roberts

Roberts.PNG

-when Roberts closed,the Tower Lane site (formerly occupied by Sea Route Ferry) was on the market for some time before taken by Riva.

I believe Roberts transported our News of the World magazines for years, if I remember rightly.

Regards Andy

Monty informed me today of the passing of Chris Cadby, laterly of Robert Armstrong.
A quietly spoken chap who’s penchant was for doing the Buckstead wine supply. It was a job he took on in his own right after the demise of Armstrongs.
He succombed to the Big C, would have been about 70 and was married to a lovely french lady, Simone.
RIP Chris.

Had a evening with Chris in Braine yrs ago when he said when he was a young lad at Monks Int in Uxbridge he said the was a Pig Farmer who worked at Monkton motors in Southampton who was my dad had a great night RIP Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

311143509_6159293180750984_5274555067806691633_n (2).jpg

Buzzer

Bob Edwards F12 Globetrotter.

DEANB:

Those chassis-less box trailers used to groan after a few years of dragging 24*(ish)* tons around.

Franglais:

DEANB:

Those chassis-less box trailers used to groan after a few years of dragging 24*(ish)* tons around.

And they tended to bend n dip in the middle !

Regards
Andy

Today

robthedog:
Today

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
On the backs of good workers and Firms they brought out

blue estate:

robthedog:
Today

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
On the backs of good workers and Firms they brought out

Thats a bit cynical perhaps it’s because they are good at what they do and getting the best from there staff at all levels, employment management is key in a well-run company which brings success in the long run and prosperity, you cannot criticise a company for being good at what they do, Buzzer