Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Hi all this is supposed to be a shot of a flight coming into Southampton can any one pinpoint if Bursledon is on it or the Hamble river, my eyes aint so good now, cheers Buzzer

Hi John
Looks like S’oton Docks and Woolston to me can see 2 Bridges ,Woolston Bridge and the other one is it Northam bridge?
Hamble river top right

Too high to be landing soon, I would suggest.

Yep, as Dispatcher says you can see So`ton docks, the Itchen bridges, Fawley, Hamble and the M27, then along past Pompey, Hayling Island to…a long way…

Yep, as Dispatcher says you can see So`ton docks, the Itchen bridges, Fawley, Hamble and the M27, then along past Pompey, Hayling Island to…a long way…

See if this works.
Soton to left, Hamble slightly right of centre, and Pompey just edging in on top rt

Edit, the plane is above Cadnam-ish and looking in a South-East direction.

Screenshot (15).jpg

Franglais:

See if this works.
Soton to left, Hamble slightly right of centre, and Pompey just edging in on top rt

Thanks for that FG much clearer, here is another take you back in time

Buzzer:

Franglais:

See if this works.

Thanks for that FG much clearer, here is another take you back in time

Mid 1960’s

Hi all, Buzzer i would say the river Hamble is clearly on there if you look at the bottom of the picture you can see Fawley with a pontoon stuck out in the water (bottom right) straight opposite is the river if you follow it up you can see the boat yard at Bursledon. :sunglasses:

Buzzer

306124027_2080221375503352_4530213238541006941_n.jpg

Those high shop fronts are reminiscent of Wild West towns that we have seen in countless cowboy films, but what really catches my eye is the horse drawn carriage.
It brings back a painfull memory. I often used to help our milkman when he came up our street in Southampton. Ethelburt Ave. Swaythling was an ‘unadopted’ road which meant that the council didn’t maintain it and for all its length it was rocky gravel, and still is as far as I know. When the milkman passed our house which was at the top on the elbow I joined him to lend a hand and then dropped off as he passed on the way down, and one day I thought I would ride to the bottom not realising that he did all his deliveries on the way up and so descended at a full gallop. Hanging on desparately at the rear I decided to bail out and skidded full length for yards in the rubble. I staggered home to Mum covered in blood but not seriously injured. I don’t remember a hospital visit though, we must have been made of sterner stuff in those days. :laughing: :laughing:

When I was a kid the MIlk Float was semi-automated, as the Milkman walked up each path to deliver, the horse moved the cart on to the next house.

Buzzer:
Hi all this is supposed to be a shot of a flight coming into Southampton can any one pinpoint if Bursledon is on it or the Hamble river, my eyes aint so good now, cheers Buzzer

Interesting photograph.Containership working at 201/2 berth (bottom left corner) cruise ships at 102 berth (City Cruise Terminal) & 38 Berth. Itchen Bridge,St Mary’s Stadium,Northam & Cobden Bridges & at the top left,new warehouses on the old Ford factory site with part of the airport visible on the north side of the M27.
On the South side,Marchwood Ind Est,Military Port,Dibden Bay,Hythe Marina & Pier,Cadland Ind Est,Fawley refinery Complex & the demolished Calshot power station site.
Opposite the Fawley Marine Terminal is BP’s Hamble terminal. Top right Gosport & part of Portsea Island.
Buzzer’s original photograph (previous page) does show Portsea Island,Hayling Island,Bracklesham Bay,Selsey, Worthing/Brighton/Newhaven & in the far haze,Beachy Head.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Buzzer
I loved the Scania 111 & previous Scania 110’s, Scania along with the Volvo F88 started the revolution to the UK market at long last.
Regards Andy

OldishJoda:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Buzzer
I loved the Scania 111 & previous Scania 110’s, Scania along with the Volvo F88 started the revolution to the UK market at long last.
Regards Andy

Andy my first artic that I drove was a GUY Big J with a 180 Gardener & DB box so I know what you mean, the chap I drove for also had a new 110 Scania & a second hand F88 with 16 speed box which one day I had a go in the F88, could not believe the difference from the GUY needless to say I knew what to get when the time came to own a motor, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

OldishJoda:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Buzzer
Regards Andy

Andy my first artic that I drove was a GUY Big J with a 180 Gardener & DB box so I know what you mean, the chap I drove for also had a new 110 Scania & a second hand F88 with 16 speed box which one day I had a go in the F88, could not believe the difference from the GUY needless to say I knew what to get when the time came to own a motor, cheers Buzzer.

Yep, the Guy Big-J with the 290 ■■■■■■■ and Fuller RT9509 was certainly a better motor :wink:. Wise choice there! :laughing:

Buzzer

307016321_146717308054686_3706683669780758122_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Is that the Benham Farm depot?
I (just) remember that having a few remaining horse carts, although mostly electric floats.

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I (just) remember that having a few remaining horse carts, although mostly electric floats.

Not sure on that one FG but do remember the churn lids were engraved with there name, there is still a relative Harrison in Bramshaw where I was born, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Not sure on that one FG but do remember the churn lids were engraved with there name, there is still a relative Harrison in Bramshaw where I was born, Buzzer

Thanks.
Never noticed the “inbound side” with churns. Probably still abed. :smiley:
I seem to remember that there was a sort of low platform there, so crates were loaded onto the floats with no lifting involved.
The Benham Farm dairy had 2 entrances if I remember. One into Lytham Rd, t`other into the junction of Witts Hill and Wakefield Rd.

Buzzer

307918735_6114732825211685_2203973055825652396_n.jpg