Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That is (Im pretty sure) a very unusual unit. 180 Gardner but with a semi-auto gearbox. The only one Lamberts had quite like that. 5 speed with 2-speed axle, selection on a stubby lever on a gate mounted beside steering wheel, and no clutch pedal. I think quite a common set-up on buses at that time, but not trucks? Quite quick away from the lights (for a Gardner!) but with a fuel penalty. I think that one had power steering too. Some of their Atkis did, some didnt. Lamberts used to buy newish 2nd hand trucks at that time, so I don`t know by whom or why it was specced that way.

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That is (Im pretty sure) a very unusual unit. 180 Gardner but with a semi-auto gearbox. The only one Lamberts had quite like that. 5 speed with 2-speed axle, selection on a stubby lever on a gate mounted beside steering wheel, and no clutch pedal. I think quite a common set-up on buses at that time, but not trucks? Quite quick away from the lights (for a Gardner!) but with a fuel penalty. I think that one had power steering too. Some of their Atkis did, some didnt. Lamberts used to buy newish 2nd hand trucks at that time, so I don`t know by whom or why it was specced that way.

Might that have been the Pneumocyclic 'box that the two-pedal Beavers had?

ERF-NGC-European:

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Might that have been the Pneumocyclic 'box that the two-pedal Beavers had?

I think it might, I had a Beaver with that at Bunny Hill Motors but first had seen one Atki at Midland Storage. Never got to drive that one though so don’t know how good it was. At Bunny Hill they were always going wrong (they had 6 I think), possibly due to the racing changes away from the lights. :wink: :laughing:

I drove that one on odd occasions, but it was never “mine”.
I had it in my head it was an Allison box, but probably only because that was the one maker I had heard of then.

Buzzer, one more for you Chris, plus LTS.

Hi all, Mr Brady has asked me too put a reminder on here about this year’s get together. It will be held once again in The Star at Romsey on the bank holiday Sunday 28thAugust I assume it will be the normal early afternoon as it always is. :sunglasses:

DISPATCHER:
Hi Dave
one of each

The Kingswood Crusader did belong to Les Flack when he bought it the truck was a lime green and black and it was a four wheeler and Mickey Winterbourne put the axle off a volvo on it.The reg wasXWN403T and it came from Wales,I even had the pleasure of driving it for a short time . Regards Todd

Buzzer

A fairly early example after the takeover I think, when was it that Seddon gave in to popular demand and started putting Big 'A’s on SedAck grills?

Buzzer:
Buzzer, one more for you Chris, plus LTS.

LTS 401 were driven by Dave Thorburn rip Pete Coles rip Harry ? Charlie Hannam who had JAA so JAA was painted on all the French trailers as Charlie wouldn’t put no plate on! 3 x 301 tractors were on ISR rubber transfer Hythe to Sea Route brain dead job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all I have been asked to remind you about the drivers reunion next Sunday in The Star at Romsey normal early afternoon start I assume.

Buzzer

Looks like a Reema trailer on the back, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Is that Robin Pike?

Franglais:

Buzzer:

Is that Robin Pike?

Yes it is, Buzzer

Buzzer:

Franglais:

Buzzer:

Is that Robin Pike?

Yes it is, Buzzer

Ta. T`other Pike was Bob??
Been a long time.

Buzzer

143692925_10226004580280133_6958752805073244095_n.jpg

264193788_10228156799524269_5128049717837039233_n.jpg

Buzzer:

IT IS

Buzzer

Here we have a shot of the old & weary knights of the road who covered a few klm’s with liquid refreshment to help them on there way at the August bash at the Star in Romsey today, a few still at the wheel but most retired now but all with a smile, thanks for the gratis food hospitality from the management of the Star pub, cheers Buzzer