Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer

White Scan van.PNG

white man van (2).JPG

Whites 3 hp.jpg

Fergie47:

DISPATCHER:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Hi John
I remember Botley Mill like that when i used to walk to school, used to lean over the wall and watch the mullet swimming below

Hi Chris, hooe you’re well…

In some summer months I and several of my mates would walk from Shedfield to Hedge End School and on the return in the afternoon would mess around in the river for an hour or two. Later when I worked at your place as a nipper I had to go down the shops in Botley for the tea for the fitters brew ups, passing the mill and watching then load from the shutes from the second floor onto the wagons, I think they had Albions at that time…When it shut up one of the sections became an old pine furniture shop, quite a contrast from the Mill.
There was also the old flour mill at Wickham, the Chesapeake Mill, named the ship Chesapeake whose timbers were used to construct it, now a antiques shop I think. They also had a lorry or two, but I can’t rember what ones…

The Cheapeake Mill at Wickham was operated by T & J Edney who operated at least one Bedford (pale green ?)
As well as Botley Mill,Abbey Mill Bishops Waltham (James Duke & Sons) there was also E.J.Scivier’s Mill at Durley

scivier.jpg
The pale yellow Monarch spent a lot of it’s time loading from Rank’s Mill in Southampton.It was never the quickest,but was always reliable even after 30+ years of service.
When the Mill closed in 1965,Jefferis of Docks Haulage High St West End bought it & though in excellent condition for its age, he sadly left it to rot outside his scrapyard in Botley Rd Hedge End.There was a story at the time that AEC were interested in acquiring it.

Scivier is not a common name & on the western approach to Botley Square there was a fuel depot & coal yard operated by Roxburgh & Scivier who had green Morris & Austen 5 tonners on coal & local haulage. I would guess there was a Scivier family connection.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Botley Mills Vulcan2.PNG

1947 Vulcan supplied by the local Vulcan dealer EMA Garages ,Grove Rd, Southsea.
Comparing the non standard bumpers,probably both pictures are of the same vehicle.

As seen on FB today, Buzzer

Another of FB and going back a bit, Buzzer

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 08.35.36.png

Buzzer:
Another of FB and going back a bit, Buzzer

Paul caught this one Buzzer which was one of the last built. :wink:

BM0034.JPG

BM0033.JPG

Buzzer

OIP.jpg

Couple for you Chris of FB, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Hi John
This is how the Big J ended its days before the gas axe got it

BRS H Park2 (2).jpg
British Road Services took delivery of a large number of Leyland Comet 10/12T units in 1957. BRS Parcels took a large tranche,as did the General haulage division. 4 of the General haulage allocation were allotted to Southampton(2A) Hampton Park depot, Portswood.
On of the 4 - TUU 854 (2A166) - is seen loading a launch at a Hamble shipyard for delivery to a London Dock for export.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Meacher 851 2.PNG

Meacher  851L.PNG
Same vehicle…different box

Though somewhat lacking in driver comforts the Scammell had one of the lowest tare weights in its class

Meschers2.jpg

roolechat:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Though somewhat lacking in driver comforts the Scammell had one of the lowest tare weights in its class

Third photo, is that a twin headlight conversion, or a latter update ?.. much better looking than those oblong headlamps…

Fergie47:

roolechat:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Third photo, is that a twin headlight conversion, or a latter update ?.. much better looking than those oblong headlamps…

And more useful, I have always praised twins because you can have the main really high to see your way through dark forested areas, while retaining the legal dip.

Spardo:
And more useful, I have always praised twins because you can have the main really high to see your way through dark forested areas, while retaining the legal dip.

I use to see a lot of Crusaders with twin headlights too, the British army had them on their Scammels, but I think the inner of the pair was slightly smaller to fit maybe…funny what you remember from years ago…can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning though… :unamused:

Fergie47:

Spardo:

…can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning though… :unamused:

Neither can I, but then, I don’t live there do I Dave? :confused: :laughing:

Hi Dave
one of each

Not sure if this was owned by Les Flack or if it was a subbie, did a bit of traction for Kingswood myself, cheers Buzzer

Fergie47:

roolechat:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I thought the early models had twin headlamps and later ones rectangular

Buzzer