Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Just wanted to let people know that Michael Pitter died earlier this month after a fairly long period of illness .His funeral was held last Wednesday. There may be some of you who like me had worked for him or his brothers over the years. One of the longest surviving Southampton hauliers left I should think.

Morning, a few more today, Buzzer

Ive a few STS photos to post but I can’t remember if they have been put on before, someone will tell me no doubt.
This one is Terry Sparrow’s.

Some more, Buzzer

One of Baker’s, Buzzer

277754946_354167843344570_7081959099333551344_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Think that picture above was taken at Pilwoods Mill in Wellow, here are a couple more pictures, Buzzer

The BKG driver is Tony Phillips. Don’t know where he is now.

couple more, Buzzer

shady:

Buzzer:
Think that picture above was taken at Pilwoods Mill in Wellow, here are a couple more pictures, Buzzer

If hes not in that bar with you yet, hes still on the golf course!

Molo had a yard at Rownhams with Rentco trailers in the back bit, Buzzer

Relaxing afternoon at Richard Evans birthday celebrations at " The Old House at Home " organized by the Boss Angie, as usual many a mile travelled and in a short space of time and past experiences recalled, cant mention the milestone achieved safe to say he has some years on me, Buzzer

279581535_5183403211750026_7282126821697475215_n.jpg

Buzzer:
couple more, Buzzer

Ubiquitous overnight case by his feet,took me right back that picture did Buzzer,thanks for posting!

David

shady:

Buzzer:

I remember Tony leaving Lamberts for BKG when I was there in the late 80’s, another driver Brian (Murphy - I think but bad memory ) left for GBE at a similar time and Both were big losses to Lamberts.

Both of them were decent people and helped me with advice as only in my early 20’s when I started there.

mikey1964:

shady:

Buzzer:

I remember Tony leaving Lamberts for BKG when I was there in the late 80’s, another driver Brian (Murphy - I think but bad memory ) left for GBE at a similar time and Both were big losses to Lamberts.

Both of them were decent people and helped me with advice as only in my early 20’s when I started there.

Maybe Tony P. was on ships stores in that piccie?
He was driving for BKG for a while, but soon moved into the office there. He might have done the odd trip out afterwards.
As you say, a knowledgeable and helpful guy.

Edit to add:
Watch this space…

Franglais:

mikey1964:

shady:

Buzzer:

Maybe Tony P. was on ships stores in that piccie?
He was driving for BKG for a while, but soon moved into the office there. He might have done the odd trip out afterwards.
As you say, a knowledgeable and helpful guy.

Edit to add:
Watch this space…

Now I remember, not Murphy but definitely began with a ‘V’. Vurphy maybe?

I was on MacScot for 5 or 6 years 94/95 onwards & remember an interesting night out with I think it was ‘Alan Mormon’ in Pontefract as BKG did most of the continental where I mostly got trips to Belgian Pakood Antwerp for ciggies if the main euro driver Martin wasn’t doing it.

Alan took me in a bar and the beer pumps hid the barmaids top half, when it was my round I realised it was a ■■■■■■■ bar. Woo hoo.

I was on MacScot for 5 or 6 years 94/95 onwards & remember an interesting night out with I think it was ‘Alan Mormon’ in Pontefract as BKG did most of the continental where I mostly got trips to Belgian Pakood Antwerp for ciggies if the main euro driver Martin wasn’t doing it.

Alan took me in a bar and the beer pumps hid the barmaids top half, when it was my round I realised it was a ■■■■■■■ bar. Woo hoo.
[/quote]
Hi mikey1964,

You must be mistaken Alan Morman is a quiet teetotal chap and would never go into an establishment like that, when he drove for me he wouldn’t touch a drop and would only drink orange juice when he was coerced into going into The Yacht in Woolston by other drivers. :unamused: :blush: :smiley:

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Hi mikey1964,

You must be mistaken Alan Morman is a quiet teetotal chap and would never go into an establishment like that, when he drove for me he wouldn’t touch a drop and would only drink orange juice when he was coerced into going into The Yacht in Woolston by other drivers. :unamused: :blush: :smiley:

Regards
Richard
[/quote]
The Yacht !
Is that the sound of Libel Lawyers getting their pencils sharpened?

mikey1964:

I remember Martin doing a lot, and Boz did quite a bit too, didn`t he?

Franglais:

mikey1964:

Yep you’re right & I joined MacScott because Boz had a medical issue and sadly lost his HGV so a vacancy arose, he became the night loader shunter which was good for all the drivers as he knew the drops.

I think Martin is or was on BP out of Hamble.

mikey1964:

Franglais:

mikey1964:

Yep you’re right & I joined MacScott because Boz had a medical issue and sadly lost his HGV so a vacancy arose, he became the night loader shunter which was good for all the drivers as he knew the drops.

I think Martin is or was on BP out of Hamble.

Ahh…So was that about the time BKG left McScots yard in the docks? Late 80s, early 90`s BKG were at bottom of their yard.
All changed since then of course.

BKG were out at Whiteparish way when I started at MacScott but still came in and had the odd trailer there for loading, all gone now as Pentalver have that land in the docks. Macs went to the old Testwood Vinters place at Calmore after some “security issues”…

I enjoyed the cruise ship work especially in Southampton as guaranteed 4hrs o/t at the weekend but usually took an hour as they wanted the duty free on quickly and we got on board for a signature but the green trousers, green shirt & green tie was a drag unless you were at a hulk convention.