Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Buzzer.

MaggieD:
“DEANB”

Apart from the dust that looks in good nick Richard. :wink: Is the Crusader at the rear a wrecker ?

Hi Dean,

Hope you are well, the Crusader was indeed a wrecker from your neck of the woods, Ex Richard Read Recovery Dorchester,well spotted.
Regards
Richard

Never heard of them Richard and dont ever remember seeing that wrecker if i am honest. :open_mouth: Looks in good condition
though. :wink:

Shamara Contractor.

Although STS had lots of subbies back in the day I do not remember this truck, does anybody know who ran it ? Buzzer

Hi all, can’t be 100% sure but i would say it was one of mister Duffy’s before it got painted. They sometimes did go to work as soon as he got them if it was busy. :sunglasses:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, can’t be 100% sure but i would say it was one of mister Duffy’s before it got painted. They sometimes did go to work as soon as he got them if it was busy. :sunglasses:

Can’t quite read the registration no, if it’s K124 RBK that would be a local 1991 Portsmouth registration (if it’s K124RBX then it’s a 1991 West Wales no)

Buzzer:
Although STS had lots of subbies back in the day I do not remember this truck, does anybody know who ran it ? Buzzer

Yes that was one of Pats LHD Dutch import 380 EDC that was put back to a 360
Driven by Paddy Keoghan

Looks like RBK to me defiantly a left ■■■■■■ so pretty sure it would have been one of pats dutch imports. :sunglasses:

Never saw this lot about

But you may have seen this company, Buzzer

Buzzer:
But you may have seen this company, Buzzer

Heres another one of his Buzzer. :wink:

P1002363p.JPG

robthedog:
Never saw this lot about

Barry Webb, from Carters Clay. My wifes uncle

Reema North Baddesley scammell

Sundays specials, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Sundays specials, Buzzer

Interesting to see Lowman’s Morris J type
S.B.Lowman & Son’s bakery dates back to the 1860 s & they were renowned throughout the area as purveyors of bread & cakes produced at their bakery which was on both sides of Portswood Rd in Southampton.
The end of flour & sugar rationing meant the mid/late 1950s was the peak period for retail sales of Lowman’s bakery products but sadly like many businesses, they lacked the economy of scale to respond to evolving markets –sliced bread which lasted longer, the advent of supermarkets etc – and were taken over by an avaricious RHM in the early 60’s. RHM closed the bakery, but used the Portswood Rd facilities for a short while as a distribution warehouse before selling it off.

Pear tree.png
1948 Morrison Electricar, Pear Tree Ave, Bitterne.

In the 1950s Lowmans operated a fleet of over 100 vans, 40 of which were battery electric roundsman vans. Lowmans operated over 130 rounds which were covered on alternate days. Battery electrics covered the inner Southampton area & averaged about 14 miles per day though they were also used on rounds of up to 25 miles – wonder if the roundsman ever suffered from range anxiety?

A Morris Commercial 25cwt van delivering to the Salisbury Rd shop in Totton.
Lowmans had 32 branch shops which often had 2 deliveries on Friday & Saturdays

Romsey.png
Austin 10cwt van which served the Romsey district from the Romsey shop.
Some shops (like the Romsey branch) had café facilities & weren’t signwritten as Lowmans

Another of Lowmans café shops was The Cavendish in The Avenue, opposite Stag Gates. The 1953 Austin 2 tonner was one of 10 used for supplying shops & supporting Lowman’s outside catering department which organised & supplied functions for up to 500 guests

A 1949 Austin 3 way delivering to the High St Hamble shop

Post war Lowmans purchased whatever vehicles they could & the workshops were busy maintaining & repairing a mixed fleet of Austin ,Morris, Morris Commercial, Trojan, Commer & Ford vehicles.
The Dukes Rd workshops included signwriting & bodybuilding facilities, as well as a forge for spring manufacture & retempering.
The workshops were occupied in the 70’s by Brain Haulage.

Dobbin.png
Some Lowman delivery vehicles were underpowered. A 1hp vehicle doing the rounds in the winter of 1947.Like the milkman’s horse, most bread roundsman’s horses knew the routes & where to stop
During the war years, the 12 horsed vans were the backbone of the Lowman fleet

I can remember (as a small lad) the Lowmans bakery in Portswood. As a family we had to walk past it every few weeks. Lovely smell and we might get a warm “lardycake” as a treat.

Franglais:
I can remember (as a small lad) the Lowmans bakery in Portswood. As a family we had to walk past it every few weeks. Lovely smell and we might get a warm “lardycake” as a treat.

I don’t remember (as a small lad) walking past any shops in Swaythling, only the route to school and back, but then we did live away from any. :frowning:

Was Lowman’s taken over by someone called Price later on or am I barking up the wrong tree here, something in the grey cells rang a bell, Buzzer

Spardo:

Franglais:

I don’t remember (as a small lad) walking past any shops in Swaythling, only the route to school and back, but then we did live away from any. :frowning:

A mate of mine had a Saturday job at a new DIY supermarket type place in Swaythling. That would have been early 70s. He didnt stay there long, but they did very well, even without his help.

Franglais:

Spardo:

Franglais:

A mate of mine had a Saturday job at a new DIY supermarket type place in Swaythling. That would have been early 70s. He didnt stay there long, but they did very well, even without his help.

Must have missed him, but then I was dragged away to Manchester in 1949. :laughing: