Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

MaggieD:

robthedog:
NO

I was getting one of my vans mot’d yesterday and the lads were pulling this round,I hope Martin is going to get it back on the road !

Regards
Richard

Apart from the dust that looks in good nick Richard. :wink: Is the Crusader at the rear a wrecker ?

Pitter Commercials Maggie.

Some from the past, Buzzer

269599030_10228422871375899_9131976329127711119_n.jpg

272195524_10228425703886710_1689939174682310098_n.jpg

DEANB:

MaggieD:

robthedog:
NO

I was getting one of my vans mot’d yesterday and the lads were pulling this round,I hope Martin is going to get it back on the road !

Regards
Richard

Apart from the dust that looks in good nick Richard. :wink: Is the Crusader at the rear a wrecker ?

Another one supplied by Pitter Commercials & in the same registration sequence as the Offer MD (POR 798S)

Sibley POR 800S.jpg

It appears that this tipping body has ISO twistlocks- did it every carry containers (similar to the MacGregor Cory MDs)?

roolechat:

DEANB:

MaggieD:

robthedog:
NO

Regards
Richard

Another one supplied by Pitter Commercials & in the same registration sequence as the Offer MD (POR 798S)

It appears that this tipping body has ISO twistlocks- did it every carry containers (similar to the MacGregor Cory MDs)?

Probably Pitters also in the same number sequence

9F1A7AB8-0D0D-4288-AE70-3217548C2057.jpeg

The old valiant

712DA7BA-12F8-46A5-A661-DFEACDF686D3.jpeg

Viking 2 1967

1948FAF5-5782-4259-9C85-A2B321580022.jpeg

robthedog:
The old valiant

And Venturer

In1986,both Valiant & Venturer - along with other Townsend Thoresen vessels- were sent to Bremerhaven for jumboisation.

Venturer.PNG
Arguably,in Jumbo guise,they looked somewhat ungainly & top heavy

Valiant.PNG
After the Herald disaster in March 1987,Townsend Thoresen were taken over by P&O,becoming P&O European Ferries.The fleet adopting the P&O house colours of blue & white with all traces of TT removed.
In 1989.Viking Valiant was renamed Pride of le Havre & Viking Venturer became Pride of Hampshire Both were sold in 2002 (after 28 yrs service) & both ended their days on India’s scrap beaches in 2010

While we are on the subject of ferries, Buzzer

245158284_10227812292631812_230627403319215429_n.jpg

roolechat:

robthedog:
The old valiant

And Venturer

In1986,both Valiant & Venturer - along with other Townsend Thoresen vessels- were sent to Bremerhaven for jumboisation.
After the Herald disaster in March 1987,Townsend Thoresen were taken over by P&O,becoming P&O European Ferries.The fleet adopting the P&O house colours of blue & white with all traces of TT removed.
In 1989.Viking Valiant was renamed Pride of le Havre & Viking Venturer became Pride of Hampshire Both were sold in 2002 (after 28 yrs service) & both ended their days on India’s scrap beaches in 2010

Two other sisters weren`t “jumbo-ized”.
Viscount was renamed PO Winchester and was laid up in 2017 and finally scrapped in 2020.
Voyager became the PO Cherbourg after working the Canaries and then the Greek islands she was scrapped in 2011.
Smaller boats, but better accommodation for drivers.

Franglais:

roolechat:

robthedog:
The old valiant

And Venturer

Two other sisters weren`t “jumbo-ized”.
Viscount was renamed PO Winchester and was laid up in 2017 and finally scrapped in 2020.
Voyager became the PO Cherbourg after working the Canaries and then the Greek islands she was scrapped in 2011.
Smaller boats, but better accommodation for drivers.

Voyager and viscount

History in Southampton, Buzzer

I have that piece of paper here at home. My dad included it with my Christmas card. He’d saved it all that time!

Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Buzzer.

one of my grandads old gals !!!

Old Southampton company, Buzzer

The sign writer wants shooting!

gazzer:

Look’s like a Saturday morning job by Denny Appleton & Micky Mullins after a bender on Friday night, don’t know how they did it hands shaking like they just come of a jack hammer :smiley:

Buzzer:

gazzer:

Look’s like a Saturday morning job by Denny Appleton & Micky Mullins after a bender on Friday night, don’t know how they did it hands shaking like they just come of a jack hammer :smiley:

serviSe

gazzer:

the spolling is sheet aswell

DEANB:

MaggieD:

robthedog:
NO

Regards
Richard

Hi Dean,

Hope you are well, the Crusader was indeed a wrecker from your neck of the woods, Ex Richard Read Recovery Dorchester,well spotted.
Regards
Richard