Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Blast from the past, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Hampshire registration, any one know who had this new ? Buzzer

Just looks like its off on a mission to me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer:

That sounded lovely Straight 8 Gardner

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Badger:

Buzzer:

But the Foden 12 speed box wasn’t everybody’s favourite

roolechat:

Badger:

Buzzer:

But the Foden 12 speed box wasn’t everybody’s favourite

“Viking Venturer” later called “Pride of Hampshire”, and cut, enlarged, and shut. Freight cabins below the bottom deck.
Those in “C” cabin were sometimes woken when the crew needed to grease the prop shaft that ran through their cabin.

:smiley:

One of Pitters with a load of fruit, I did some loads for them out of 105 berth back in the day, Buzzer

One of jimmys

Buzzer:
One of Pitters with a load of fruit, I did some loads for them out of 105 berth back in the day, Buzzer

Hi John, if memory serves, 1250 cases ? either apples or oranges, on a 40 ft at 32 ton.
I’ve loaded 3 trailers in a day, roped and sheeted, 102 / 103 berth back to Totton when I was shunting at S.of M. for night trunk to Scotland.
Fit as the proverbial butchers dog in those days, doubt I could climb up on the trailer now… :wink:

Fergie47:

Buzzer:

Hi John, if memory serves, 1250 cases ? either apples or oranges, on a 40 ft at 32 ton.
I’ve loaded 3 trailers in a day, roped and sheeted, 102 / 103 berth back to Totton when I was shunting at S.of M. for night trunk to Scotland.
Fit as the proverbial butchers dog in those days, doubt I could climb up on the trailer now… :wink:

Dave, Your comments remind me of my 3 years with Robert Baillie & Co Ltd from early 1970 at their Wigan depot.
For 9 months of the year, the majority of our work was Guernsey Tomatoes, loaded at Portsmouth and sent up to
Baillies Wigan and Doncaster depots on night trunk, driven by Horndean based drivers. The tomatoes were packed
in wooden trays, strapped in bundles of 3, so the regular total was 3000 trays/ 1000 bundles. The delivery of them
to wholesale fruit & veg markets was all handball, with the exception of Belfast, Glasgow, and Liverpool.
The tomatoes for these 3 markets were all on steel pallets of the Guernsey Tomato Marketing Board.

You had to be careful when unloading, because there were about 8 different sizes and grades of tomatoes, and up
to 8 wholesalers at the market, e.g. the old wholesale market in Swan Street, Manchester. Our working day started
anytime between midnight and 4am. We didnt know wether we were classed as day workers or night workers. :smiley:

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Dave, Your comments remind me of my 3 years with Robert Baillie & Co Ltd from early 1970 at their Wigan depot.
For 9 months of the year, the majority of our work was Guernsey Tomatoes, loaded at Portsmouth and sent up to
Baillies Wigan and Doncaster depots on night trunk, driven by Horndean based drivers. The tomatoes were packed
in wooden trays, strapped in bundles of 3, so the regular total was 3000 trays/ 1000 bundles. The delivery of them
to wholesale fruit & veg markets was all handball, with the exception of Belfast, Glasgow, and Liverpool.
The tomatoes for these 3 markets were all on steel pallets of the Guernsey Tomato Marketing Board.

You had to be careful when unloading, because there were about 8 different sizes and grades of tomatoes, and up
to 8 wholesalers at the market, e.g. the old wholesale market in Swan Street, Manchester. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray…we did tomatoes out of Weymouth during the season, can’t imagine you’d park a car there during the summer these days let alone 20 or 30 wagons… must admit it was quite nice working there next to the beech, lots of nice scenery :wink:

Fergie47:

Ray Smyth:

to 8 wholesalers at the market, e.g. the old wholesale market in Swan Street, Manchester. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray…we did tomatoes out of Weymouth during the season, can’t imagine you’d park a car there during the summer these days let alone 20 or 30 wagons… must admit it was quite nice working there next to the beech, lots of nice scenery :wink:

Hi Dave, Your mention of Weymouth reminded me that, occasionally, we would carry Jersey Tomatoes from Weymouth.
From memory, they were single separate trays on a little wooden pallet, intended for just one use. I used to take the
empty Jersey pallets home and saw them up for firewood, in store for winter. Cheers, Ray.

LOL Ray, still collect pallets for winter burning or making garden furniture. Spanish don’t seem to bother with them. Not found anyone to buy Euro pallets any sense!

gazzer:
LOL Ray, still collect pallets for winter burning or making garden furniture. Spanish don’t seem to bother with them. Not found anyone to buy Euro pallets any sense!

I am on my 3rd gate pallet, not a euro but a great big one that was left after a load of floor tiles were delivered. Now it covers the large exit from the swimming pond enclosure to the woods beyond. :laughing:

Spardo:

gazzer:

I am on my 3rd gate pallet, not a euro but a great big one that was left after a load of floor tiles were delivered. Now it covers the large exit from the swimming pond enclosure to the woods beyond. :laughing:

Quality
you missed your vacation in life should have been a builder

robthedog:

Spardo:

gazzer:

Quality
you missed your vacation in life should have been a builder

At least one person in Southampton thinks I have been. :laughing:

gazzer:

Same here in Portugal gazzer,the Portuguese don’t bother about timber pallets,they leave them all over the place,I collect them and with a chainsaw cut them up for winter log burner kindling,some are GKN blue as well!…….must have got lost in transit!

David

5thwheel:

gazzer:

Same here in Portugal gazzer,the Portuguese don’t bother about timber pallets,they leave them all over the place,I collect them and with a chainsaw cut them up for winter log burner kindling,some are GKN blue as well!…….must have got lost in transit!

David

Have they got deep pockets David? When they deliver loads on those pallets they are swapped for empties aren’t they, and when they load on pallets they have to hand over empties in return? At least that was what happened here in France in my experience. If no pallets to exchange I thought they had to pay for the ones they take. :confused:

I remember on one occasion when I went to load and prepared to handover my empties they refused saying that they were only accepted at another depot 15 kms away. I had to go there, deliver them and get a receipt in return which had to be handed over to my loading depot in order to be given my palleted load. :unamused:

NO

05CE339A-22DB-4584-9512-4AC118EA397B.jpeg

robthedog:
NO

I was getting one of my vans mot’d yesterday and the lads were pulling this round,I hope Martin is going to get it back on the road !

Regards
Richard

269599030_10228422871375899_9131976329127711119_n.jpg