Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:

DEANB:
Anyone remember C.Wright & Son at Cadnam.

Wright’s were primarily coal merchants but later did a bit of general haulage in between those deliveries, my mother had her coal delivered by them and I used to ride me bike past there yard every day on me way to Bartley High School (it was on a hill) not really but sounds posh :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

Cheers Buzzer. :wink:

Heres one from 1982, ACJ TRansport.

soton 82 acj psoton.PNG

That’s my dad billy mac getting unloaded there .He always talked about this job.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Nmp

433E47C4-667E-4AAB-A27A-2D31BF7A37DD.jpeg

robthedog:
Nmp

Workshop roadside assist vehicle

robthedog:
Nmp

TJJ 643 was one of at least a dozen ( TJJ 632 - 644 ) Scammell Highwaymen supplied to Esso Petroleum Ltd in late 1956 The majority ran with Scammell 2 compartment tank trlrs with 3250 galls capacity

roolechat:

robthedog:
Nmp

TJJ 643 was one of at least a dozen ( TJJ 632 - 644 ) Scammell Highwaymen supplied to Esso Petroleum Ltd in late 1956 The majority ran with Scammell 2 compartment tank trlrs with 3250 galls capacity

Couple of slightly newer ESSO units still sat in the refinery

286644F8-9C77-4BE0-9A2A-759FDE105820.jpeg

billy mac:
That’s my dad billy mac getting unloaded there .He always talked about this job.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Hi,

Used to see your Dad quite often tipping TV’s from Gosport in Oldham,he was a great character.

Regards
Richard

0163C011-2708-4DC0-AD96-F4D51C464205.jpeg

B8927D09-11EC-492E-8C36-842985620CBA.jpeg

robthedog:

That is the cab model of Foden that I had at K&M, apart from having a sleeper, which was beyond wildest dreams at that time, I couldn’t have wished for a better ‘home’. The engine hump was relatively low for the day making sleeping easy, the mirror arms secured top and bottom were stable and long enough for me to do my usual habit of fitting larger mirrors, and the grab handles on the back of the cab made for easy access to the discharge motor for the tank and dropping the trailer a piece of cake. Not to mention my lost regrets in this modern era, twin headlights, which enabled the full beam to be high enough to find my way through forests without having a dip which would dazzle oncomers. :smiley:
And what about that handy little shelf under the windscreen, just made for my ■■■■■■, near enough to hear. :wink: :slight_smile:

Put all that together with a 205 ■■■■■■■ and the wonderful Foden 12-speed (a gear for every occasion I used to say, which once allowed me to restart when empty on that long hill out of Ashbourne (what’s it called?) after being brought to a halt in the snow), what was not to like? My answer, nothing. :laughing:

Despite all that, I cannot for the life of me remember what it’s model designation was. :blush: Help, anyone. :confused:

Spardo:

robthedog:

That is the cab model of Foden that I had at K&M, apart from having a sleeper, which was beyond wildest dreams at that time, I couldn’t have wished for a better ‘home’. The engine hump was relatively low for the day making sleeping easy, the mirror arms secured top and bottom were stable and long enough for me to do my usual habit of fitting larger mirrors, and the grab handles on the back of the cab made for easy access to the discharge motor for the tank and dropping the trailer a piece of cake. Not to mention my lost regrets in this modern era, twin headlights, which enabled the full beam to be high enough to find my way through forests without having a dip which would dazzle oncomers. :smiley:
And what about that handy little shelf under the windscreen, just made for my ■■■■■■, near enough to hear. :wink: :slight_smile:

Put all that together with a 205 ■■■■■■■ and the wonderful Foden 12-speed (a gear for every occasion I used to say, which once allowed me to restart when empty on that long hill out of Ashbourne (what’s it called?) after being brought to a halt in the snow), what was not to like? My answer, nothing. :laughing:

Despite all that, I cannot for the life of me remember what it’s model designation was. :blush: Help, anyone. :confused:

Hill S40.jpeg

It’s an S40 Foden with a Motor Panels cab. It was probably powered by a ■■■■■■■ NTK 270 in which case it would have been designated a Foden 6AC6/75 with a 40T GVW & a 75T GTW. 12 speed Foden gearbox as standard and a maximum speed of 30 mph !

Foden S40.jpg

In standard 4x2 format,there were 4 model designations depending on engine :-

Model 4AC6/32 ■■■■■■■ NHK220 32 GTW
4AR6/32 Rolls 220 32 GTW
4AXB6/30 Gardner 6LXB 30 GTW
4AXB8/32 Gardner 8LXB 32 GTW
All models came with Foden 9 speed gearbox as standard,with 12 speed as an option

roolechat:
It’s an S40 Foden with a Motor Panels cab. It was probably powered by a ■■■■■■■ NTK 270 in which case it would have been designated a Foden 6AC6/75 with a 40T GVW & a 75T GTW. 12 speed Foden gearbox as standard and a maximum speed of 30 mph !

In standard 4x2 format,there were 4 model designations depending on engine :-

Model 4AC6/32 ■■■■■■■ NHK220 32 GTW
4AR6/32 Rolls 220 32 GTW
4AXB6/30 Gardner 6LXB 30 GTW
4AXB8/32 Gardner 8LXB 32 GTW
All models came with Foden 9 speed gearbox as standard,with 12 speed as an option

My goodness Roolechat, that looks like the one, but I am pretty sure mine had a 205 ■■■■■■■ (someone must have told me :unamused: ) but am 100% sure it had a 12 speed box. Not sure about the reg. no., I pay little attention to those, I remember my Grandad’s Austin 12, DNE 911, from the 50’s but have to go to the window and look outside in order to see my current cars’ plates.

But it could have been mine. As I remember it there were only 2 or 3 of those at K&M at the time, early 70s(?), including mine. All other artic powder tankers were from the Bulk Powders merger (Atkis I think), and the rest 8 leggers.

X Bakers

7B6A4E14-7DEE-44DE-8E3F-D7DDE1056ECF.jpeg

robthedog:
X Bakers

Now that I like, I suppose it is a crew cab, but looks like a pukka sleeper. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

robthedog:
X Bakers

Now that I like, I suppose it is a crew cab, but looks like a pukka sleeper. :slight_smile:

Sleeper cab.
If you look closely you can see the bunk through the side window

robthedog:

Spardo:

robthedog:
X Bakers

Sleeper cab.
If you look closely you can see the bunk through the side window

Is it hanging by a chain from the roof. :question: