Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

robthedog:
Southampton docks early 70’s

201?

robthedog:
Southampton docks early 70’s

OCL’s Tokio Bay on 204 Berth.Judging by the lack of containers on board,probably her inaugral visit in March 1972.The vessel was broken up on one of India’s demolition beaches in 1998.

In the early/mid 70’s OCL’s " Bay" class & ACT’s “BEN” class were impressively large containerships capable of carrying nearly 3000 TEU ! Nowadays,24000TEU vessels attract very little attention (unless blocking the Suez Canal)

Hi

Couple of photo’s of the LTS Freight Magirus Deutz a before and after, maybe roolechat knows who the new owner was ?

Regards
Richard

IMG_8019.jpg

This will strike an accord with some people:

STS used to do ship stores to Gibraltar via Algeciras port. Being offloaded onto a boat once cleared because there was no road access prior to 1984.
After that date, clearance in La Linea de Concepcion and direct delivery to Lipton’s Stores, Safeway and laterly Morrisons etc.

I have just found out that the good ole days have returned. Since Brexit, direct access is no longer permitted and all goods have to go to Algeciras…and be offloaded onto a boat again!

As an aside, Morrisons is very bare of food stuffs, especially fruit and veg. This also applies to Iceland and “Tesco” Fuengirola way.

gazzer:

STS used to do ship stores to Gibraltar via Algeciras port. Being offloaded onto a boat once cleared because there was no road access prior to 1984.
After that date, clearance in La Linea de Concepcion and direct delivery to Lipton’s Stores, Safeway and laterly Morrisons etc.

I have just found out that the good ole days have returned. Since Brexit, direct access is no longer permitted and all goods have to go to Algeciras…and be offloaded onto a boat again!

As an aside, Morrisons is very bare of food stuffs, especially fruit and veg. This also applies to Iceland and “Tesco” Fuengirola way.

Gazzer take the fishing away from them forthwith and give them some of there own stupid medicine, we are far to soft with those J Arthers

Buzzer:

gazzer:

Gazzer take the fishing away from them forthwith and give them some of there own stupid medicine, we are far to soft with those J Arthers

Might you be misinterpreting Brexit, Buzzer?
Taking back control of our borders, means the UK Gov having control of UK borders.
The Spanish Government have control of Spanish borders. What is wrong with that? It isn`t for the EU to tell us what to do, nor is it for us to tell another country what to do.

Unless of course were in a co-operative deal with them, and had agreed to use the same courts etc. What a world that would be eh?
Back to no need for customs agents, fewer customs officials…and look: “Matt loaded in Italy this morning early waiting for customs, what a load of rollock’s we got rid of all that crap paperwork in the 90’s, Buzzer” by Buzzer
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:08 am.
Do away with crap paperwork…again!

Still let`s just send in a couple of gun boats and watch Johnny Foreigner tremble.

Franglais:

Buzzer:

gazzer:

Might you be misinterpreting Brexit, Buzzer?
Taking back control of our borders, means the UK Gov having control of UK borders.
The Spanish Government have control of Spanish borders. What is wrong with that? It isn`t for the EU to tell us what to do, nor is it for us to tell another country what to do.

Unless of course were in a co-operative deal with them, and had agreed to use the same courts etc. What a world that would be eh?
Back to no need for customs agents, fewer customs officials…and look: “Matt loaded in Italy this morning early waiting for customs, what a load of rollock’s we got rid of all that crap paperwork in the 90’s, Buzzer” by Buzzer
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:08 am.
Do away with crap paperwork…again!

Still let`s just send in a couple of gun boats and watch Johnny Foreigner tremble.

Here we go again, Brexit is done and we have to live with that now but I am glad we left and one day the whole EU crap outfit will fall its just a matter of time. Your point about Gibraltar is null en void simply because we are not stopped from delivering to say Italy being as you mentioned it, we just have to do customs formalities but the work is more lucrative now than it used to be so there is some reward there for the extra time, apart from that the Spanish always wanted Gibraltar back for themselves just like Argentina wanted the Falklands but thats not happening any time soon.
You always come out on the side of the Europeans and cannot it seems to let that go, ok its your choice as mine was to favour leaving. It becomes a bit of a bore when ever I make a post about work we do abroad you try and belittle it in some way, this is a thread about every day working abroad and in the UK. We at DIT are one company who are still doing this work when many have fallen by the wayside, if you dislike the comments on here go and look at some other thread and pick holes in that for your self gratification. Of course there is a bit of Agriculture thrown in for good measure and most viewers seem to enjoy the mix so we shall carry on regardless as I fear you are in the minority, Buzzer.

401893_379148368867253_1538955071_n (2).jpg

Buzzer:
Here we go again, Brexit is done and we have to live with that now but I am glad we left and one day the whole EU crap outfit will fall its just a matter of time. Your point about Gibraltar is null en void simply because we are not stopped from delivering to say Italy being as you mentioned it, we just have to do customs formalities but the work is more lucrative now than it used to be so there is some reward there for the extra time, apart from that the Spanish always wanted Gibraltar back for themselves just like Argentina wanted the Falklands but thats not happening any time soon.
You always come out on the side of the Europeans and cannot it seems to let that go, ok its your choice as mine was to favour leaving. It becomes a bit of a bore when ever I make a post about work we do abroad you try and belittle it in some way, this is a thread about every day working abroad and in the UK. We at DIT are one company who are still doing this work when many have fallen by the wayside, if you dislike the comments on here go and look at some other thread and pick holes in that for your self gratification. Of course there is a bit of Agriculture thrown in for good measure and most viewers seem to enjoy the mix so we shall carry on regardless as I fear you are in the minority, Buzzer.

Brexit vote is definitely all done, yes.
Brexit effects are NOT all done yet. We do have to live with Brexit effects.
We are still in talks with the EU and other countries. We have cast off, but our course is far from set.

Buzzer: “Your point about Gibraltar is null en void simply because we are not stopped from delivering to say Italy being as you mentioned it”,
What? Because you load ex Italy the problems in Gib dont exist? I dont understand your point.

Buzzer:“we just have to do customs formalities but the work is more lucrative now than it used to be so there is some reward there for the extra time”
So, more time taken in customs, extra paperwork, and bodies involved, and more costs for hauliers results in extra money being paid?
Well, when we all get to pay more at the shop counter we can all be happy that you arent losing out, cant we?
Those costs are passed on to the end consumer Buzzer, be it a UK housewife buying foods, or an EU company wanting widgets for their production line.
Extra costs benefiting pen pushers and civil servants, making my food more expensive and cutting our factories` competitiveness.

Buzzer:“if you dislike the comments on here go and look at some other thread and pick holes in that for your self gratification.”
I do like reading your views on farming and transport. Because I don`t always agree with them, I do comment and challenge you.
I mostly stay in the Brexit thread on Brexit subjects, but when the subject arises elsewhere as it does, why should I self censor if no-one else does?

I do not take umbrage and post silly pictures directed at those who disagree with me, but it is a free country, and so long as we obey the forum rules TNUK is a free site for comment. So post away and include any silliness you like. :smiley:

A suggestion to our Brexit/UK hating TNUK member, Franglais ! Why not apply for “settled status” in an EU country of your choice ! I’m sure that you would not encounter too much trouble in fulfilling the criteria if you accompanied your application with a Liberal dose of anti UK verbal ! Just a suggestion others may hold different views ! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Adieu Bewick

Bewick:
A suggestion to our Brexit/UK hating TNUK member, Franglais ! Why not apply for “settled status” in an EU country of your choice ! I’m sure that you would not encounter too much trouble in fulfilling the criteria if you accompanied your application with a Liberal dose of anti UK verbal ! Just a suggestion others may hold different views ! :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Adieu Bewick

Many hold different views, and it is a good thing if we can ALL discuss them, isnt it? Or are only those who agree with you welcome here? . I dont like Brexit, but do love the UK. That is why I am upset that the path we are going down is the wrong one for our country.
And why do you imagine Europeans hate the UK? Maybe you`re taking your own personal experiences to heart?

Bewick:

Hey up Dennis think we have a clone of your good friend from Leatherhead on our hands here, what do you think, Buzzer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Buzzer:

Bewick:

Hey up Dennis think we have a clone of your good friend from Leatherhead on our hands here, what do you think, Buzzer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You could well be spot on there John and as for his comment “I love the UK” well I sure don’t want to meet someone who hates the UK ! Cheers Dennis PS something which is of more interest, Sunday Lunch with our eldest Granddaughter later with a nice piece of home bred pork !

MaggieD:
Hi

Couple of photo’s of the LTS Freight Magirus Deutz a before and after, maybe roolechat knows who the new owner was ?

Regards
Richard

IIRC it was sold on to a Forage merchant in northern Hampshire(I can’t remember any feed back !). It was grossly underpowered for 38T operation (when the UK limit was still 32T) but 25T rubber from Fawley to Michelin Cuneo reload Vado Ligure or 25T to Pirelli Turin,reload 25T chemicals from Bergamo was a hard weeks work but was the norm. The 310 would have been a more logical choice but the tare weight was too heavy as it was necessary to carry a 10ton payload on the rigid.
With the advent of 38T & 13.5 m triaxle trlrs, it was mainly used on uk work. 2 x 20ft containers to Tonypandy each day was a regular traffic. As a solo 16T vehicle it was quick!

Hi
Just to keep us dropping off page 1

Pitters SedAtki Demonstrator.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:
Hi
Just to keep us dropping off page 1

Pitters SedAtki Demonstrator.

Regards
Richard

Here’s a couple more of Pitter’s Richard. :wink:

Hi All
Talking of Pitters does anybody want a20FT Fromco skelly
Cheers
Rich

Hi all, Richard seeing that 20ft tank on that 3 axle trailer reminded me what a pig of a thing they where to shunt around being so short and try axle going down the road they were good but tight turn’s or shunting in a tight space a night mare. And that 2 axle skelly that Tribas has got reminded me the day i passed my class 1, took test in the morning got back to the yard Mr Luckett said first job this afternoon 20 ft 2 axle skelly with an empty container to load personal effects near Warminster for Commador shipping in Pompey drove a mile and a half up a drive way to a big house only to be told no where to turn, back out to main road then back it in, f-----g night mare took me 2 hr’s soon learnt don’t just drive in walk in first. And in a Mandator with no power steering, My first class one job and first lesson learned and after 45 year’s at it, still learning. :sunglasses:

Hi Kev
Every day is a school day.
Perhaps you should have it as a monumental reminder in your front garden

Cheers

Rich

tribsa:
Hi Kev
Every day is a school day.
Perhaps you should have it as a monumental reminder in your front garden

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

HaHa when Kevin drove for me he always used to say “If I win the lottery I’m going to buy my truck off you and put it in the front garden and throw stones at it every day” so your suggestion is close to the truth.

Hope you are keeping well
Regards
Richard

Hi all, yes Richard I did always say that funny you remember that, problem is I don’t know which one I disliked enough not even Mr Mascatto’s Marathon even with the wheels falling off on a regular basis it was still a good truck. :sunglasses: