Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

roolechat:
R & M Freight’s operating centre was Abbey Mill,Bishops Waltham & they were often seen carrying semi mature trees & shrubs for a famous Romsey based nursery/garden centre

Was that Ray Wyre who ran that outfit ? if so he used to do alot for Hillier’s nurseries from Ampfield near Romsey tree’s and shrubs etc, if it was he had a Scammell Crusader on for Ernie Smart ( Smart Freight ) on containers out the docks in Southampon back in the day, Ernie lived in a bungalow in Lowford and he had a collection of O/D’s that worked for him Buzzer

roolechat:

roolechat:
Also from Paul Gee’s site is this Pilwood Feeds 1981 Seddon Atkinson with Hants & Dorset Bus station & The Lord Louis Mountbatten Public House in the background
Pilwood Feeds were based at Woodington Mill |East Wellow

Buzzer:

roolechat:
R & M Freight’s operating centre was Abbey Mill,Bishops Waltham & they were often seen carrying semi mature trees & shrubs for a famous Romsey based nursery/garden centre

Was that Ray Wire who ran that outfit ? if so he used to do alot for Hillier’s nurseries from Ampfield near Romsey tree’s and shrubs etc, if it was he had a Scammell Crusader on for Ernie Smart ( Smart Freight ) on containers out the docks in Southampon back in the day, Ernie lived in a bungalow in Lowford and he had a collection of O/D’s that worked for him Buzzer

I believe you’re correct IIRC ,Ray Wyre was originally an O/D on for Smart Freight

pdw:
also in the local paper this week , slightly before my time so dont know much about these local soton hauliers , i dont think i have ever seen a d series with a kerb side window , many thanks :slight_smile:

Jameson Scania ,Bakers ERF (Bakers always supported local carnivals etc)-& Houghton Construction D series tipper-a frightening journey no doubt
N/s kerb windows were quite a standard fitment on D series cabs

Badger:
Sorting out some of Dad’s stuff,
His accident at Black Dam, Our O license application & a photo in the Romsey Advertiser of Dad walking in to the square with my sister
regards
Jeremy

Jeremy,
I guess the Scammell was written off. Did Monkton have a parking arrangement locally ?,as I can’t remember them having vehicles based here
The VT D series pictured in Romsey has the post Amey style number plate but pre Amey livery & would therefore date from 1970 (ish)

Chris
They were a part of Calor so He was based in millbrook, The Scammell was no more after the accident,
Dad said he crawled out of the wreck backward so never found out where from, He was covered in Styrene
& I think He enjoyed being washed by the Nurses at Basingstoke Hospital!
I remember the AEC mk5 Mandator, I rode on the bonnet many times up to PD Purfleet.
regards
Jeremy
ps Cant believe He’s been gone a year on Thursday

SWTD Totton were large users of Foden products,particularly the tar sprayers with their “Ashurst” bodies
This 1962 Foden KE6/24 with a coiled & lagged 2500gall single compartment stainlees steel tank was used for the movement of Phthalic Anhydride from Fawley.
SWTD were part of Burt Boulton & Haywood who owned/operated the Ealing Wharf site.The strong aroma of creosote was often evident when travelling along the Totton By pass

swtd.jpg

Cheers roolechat :slight_smile:

From page 2 of Oily’s past and present thread a picture of the young good looking Angie, and after all these years she still looks the same but not quite as young, Buzzer

Buzzer:
From page 2 of Oily’s past and present thread a picture of the young good looking Angie, and after all these years she still looks the same but not quite as young, Buzzer

Hi John,

Angie says thank you for the compliment,and she’s only 38 !!

That was taken en route to Sardinia a few years ago,here’s another off Oily’s excellent thread,we took this Carrier exhibition trailer from Robin Hoods yard,which I recall was close to Tracy Island on Segensworth,down to Mannheim in Germany,left it there and ran solo back to the UK.

Regards
Richard

Maggie%20richard.jpg

Cleansing Services (Southern Counties) Ltd , Botley started in 1934 with a second hand Dennis “honey cart” Dennis products were the main stay of the fleet throughout the 40’s & 50’s.Bedfords & Leylands were purchased in the 60’s &70’s & in 1972, 7 S39 cabbed Fodens were purchased by CSG’s dry waste division

img260.jpg

img264.jpg

csg4.jpg

roolechat:
Cleansing Services (Southern Counties) Ltd , Botley started in 1934 with a second hand Dennis “honey cart” Dennis products were the main stay of the fleet throughout the 40’s & 50’s.Bedfords & Leylands were purchased in the 60’s &70’s & in 1972, 7 S39 cabbed Fodens were purchased by CSG’s dry waste division

A subsidiary of CSG was Simmons Engineering(Southampton)Ltd ,Botley Rd Hedge End who produced many CSG tanker bodies
Fleet no 2444 was a DAF 2300 with a refurbished 3000 gall sludge tank

roolechat:

Ah roolechat the " honey wagon " I can remember that calling round to our farm when I was a nipper, as you say on a Dennis chassis with a funnel up top into which the buckets were emptied’ There was one fat chap and a skinny one on that wagon and one handed the buckets to another, in the summer my old man used to let them spread that straight on to a grass field, of course it would never happen today, then after two or three weeks there was a rich green sword across the grass where it landed as it was so full of nutrients.
The company started in 1933 with one Dennis truck pictured below costing five pounds, a bit older than the one that used to come to our farm but on similar lines with the loading funnel up top, cheers Buzzer

PS. bit of an embarrassment when you took a girl home and she asked for the loo which was a brick and tile shack at the end of a cinder path, later the old man had a sceptic tank installed then was all ok.

Dennis-tanker.jpg

Hi JD
Looks like the chassis and cab they had of us?

Buzzer:
Ah roolechat the " honey wagon " I can remember that calling round to our farm when I was a nipper, as you say on a Dennis chassis with a funnel up top into which the buckets were emptied’ There was one fat chap and a skinny one on that wagon and one handed the buckets to another, in the summer my old man used to let them spread that straight on to a grass field, of course it would never happen today, then after two or three weeks there was a rich green sword across the grass where it landed as it was so full of nutrients.

PS. bit of an embarrassment when you took a girl home and she asked for the loo which was a brick and tile shack at the end of a cinder path, later the old man had a sceptic tank installed then was all ok.

Still happens here on the QT I think. The first time our septique needed emptying I asked an English plumber how to go about it. He sent a farmer round with a tractor towing a tank and sucked it all out. Thankfully no bucket handling here.

I asked someone where it went and was told, onto his field, totally against the law.

So the next time I got an officially approved bloke round with a wagon who did the same job. Gave me a certificate to prove it had been done as, so they say, it must be done every 4 years, but I have had ours done just twice in 25.

No problems. :smiley:

Funny thing is the ‘official’ bloke only charged the same as the plumber for a ‘dodgy’. No doubt the farmer got little or nothing as a cut, the plumber was quick to say, no don’t pay him, I’ll come round for it. :unamused:

Happy days,
We had chap called Ruben who came round the farm with his horse and cart (rounded top like a large bread bin) straight round the back to the thunder box, out with the bucket to the cart, lid up, pour in and a quick rince with creasote and back round to the box, funny , he would come arround about July time selling huge tomatoes, mum allways bought some, very cheep to !!!
PS: newspapers cut up and held on a string with a meat squewer. Harvey

HRS:
Happy days,
We had chap called Ruben who came round the farm with his horse and cart (rounded top like a large bread bin) straight round the back to the thunder box, out with the bucket to the cart, lid up, pour in and a quick rince with creasote and back round to the box, funny , he would come arround about July time selling huge tomatoes, mum allways bought some, very cheep to !!!

Having lived out in the sticks all his life,the old chap decides to sell up. A young couple come to view the cottage & the young lady asks if she can use the facilities
“out the back door,up de path & de Privvy’s on de right,just whistle a tune or two”
a few minutes later she’s back
“There isn’t a way of shutting the door”
“Well put yer foot against it” said the old chap
She comes back again
" I did,but the door opens outward,there’s no lock"
The old chap rubs his chin for a moment & says
" well,I’ve lived ere for nigh on 50 year & never ad any shxt stolen"

HRS:
Happy days,

Harvey half way up our farm drive was a brick building with a double barreled loo side by side earth closet no partition wall between the seats and as you say cut up news papers for the wiping, back then there were more staff on farms so there was a need, Buzzer.

Picture from FB Buzzer

I’ve got from another source courtesy of Steve Hobart that Jon “Compo” Compton has just passed away.
He had been unwell for a few months. It’s a shame he wasn’t well enough to get to the August bash that he always attended recently. Great that some of you made the effort to visit him a few months back in the year.
RIP Compo