Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
An early shot of one of Pat’s 110 taken by Mark S. Baily, Buzzer

Nice picture that was my first Scania when I went on for Pat it was converted into a sleeper by some company that converted them it had a heavy wooden bunk !

Sorting out some of Dad’s stuff,
His accident at Black Dam, Our O license application & a photo in the Romsey Advertiser of Dad walking in to the square with my sister
regards
Jeremy

Someone must recognise the driver as it’s quite clear really, Buzzer

2017-07-16%2011.26.38.jpg

Buzzer:
Someone must recognise the driver as it’s quite clear really, Buzzer[/quote
Buzzer it could be Richard Sharps brother in law, just another little thing about that motor it had an accident in France towed back and I was one of three people how took it apart

One of Pat’s motors at Welland Steam Fair, N.M.P

S1mmo:

Buzzer:
[/quote
Buzzer it could be Richard Sharps brother in law, just another little thing about that motor it had an accident in France towed back and I was one of three people how took it apart

Hi Simmo do you know where Sharpy iis at it now, he used to service my motors in Alan Watkins yard in Huntspond Road, Buzzer

Buzzer:

S1mmo:

Buzzer:
[/quote

Hi Simmo do you know where Sharpy iis at it now, he used to service my motors in Alan Watkins yard in Huntspond Road, Buzzer

Hi Buzzer, Sharpy still at Sita on the spanners, amazing mechanic and a good friend!!

HI, Folks , Is the PAT DUFFY SCANIA 110 AN EX WILLIAMS BROTHERS WALES ,LOOKS LIKE ONE OF THERE OLD REG ,No, Cheers Barry

Saw a recent post on here(a few months back I think) asking if Martin Offer still had any of his vehicles, last week while in Marchwood Ind’ Est’ I came across one of his ERF’s some of you will recognise, apparently it’s just been put back on the road after a scrub up and MOT according to the workshop owner, others possibly to follow, he still has a few and his low loader.

Regards Andy

1F597567-AE87-4248-AF89-5269A6895983.jpeg

DD0BBEBD-AB1F-476E-9AF3-84BEA7CB7459.jpeg

Gatt66:
Saw a recent post on here(a few months back I think) asking if Martin Offer still had any of his vehicles, last week while in Marchwood Ind’ Est’ I came across one of his ERF’s some of you will recognise, apparently it’s just been put back on the road after a scrub up and MOT according to the workshop owner, others possibly to follow, he still has a few and his low loader.

Regards Andy

That’s one nice motor , I’ll keep eye out for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a blast from the past One young Jim Squibb he used to ride speedway back in the day and I believe for Poole Pirates, a very accomplished engineer and looked after the transport fleet. Remember his trucks when I was at school and he was a very early entrant to international transport, we used to see his trailers parked in the long layby by the radio mast at Cadnam and I also remember a round cab AEC driven by a chap called Batten from Nomansland no sleeper cab back then, he moved on and bought Volvo F88’s and at the peak ran Transport Services from Boyatt Wood and a few on here worked for that outfit. Fergie worked for Jim in the early days and he still says he aint 60 yet but I think he’s fibbing, Mappo worked for Barry Squibb at TS and I think he was Fergies uncle.
Barry and his wife Norma carried on with the business as Transport Services and then went into the hotel trade in the west country. In later years both Jim & Barry partook in auto cross with some success at it too, all gone now as so many companies from in and around Southampton have and sometimes I feel we are a lone survivor still doing the job, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Here is a blast from the past One young Jim Squibb he used to ride speedway back in the day and I believe for Poole Pirates, a very accomplished engineer and looked after the transport fleet. Remember his trucks when I was at school and he was a very early entrant to international transport, we used to see his trailers parked in the long layby by the radio mast at Cadnam and I also remember a round cab AEC driven by a chap called Batten from Nomansland no sleeper cab back then, he moved on and bought Volvo F88’s and at the peak ran Transport Services from Boyatt Wood and a few on here worked for that outfit. Fergie worked for Jim in the early days and he still says he aint 60 yet but I think he’s fibbing, Mappo worked for Barry Squibb at TS and I think he was Fergies uncle.
Barry and his wife Norma carried on with the business as Transport Services and then went into the hotel trade in the west country. In later years both Jim & Barry partook in auto cross with some success at it too, all gone now as so many companies from in and around Southampton have and sometimes I feel we are a lone survivor still doing the job, Buzzer

John. Hope this finds you and the family well…Jim gave us youngsters a break to go on the continent when it was still a rare thing for the Brits to do…for that I’ll always be grateful to him…only four of us originally when he was at
Cadnam…Tony Kimber (his sister married Barry Squibb). Kenny Batton… myself , and Colin Barns…later came Bev (who is on T.N.) and Derek Waite (,RIp )…Then they moved to Chandler’s Ford when it got quite big and they took on any old drivers, like Mappo, and Tony Mapson…( only kiddin Tone.)…don’t regret those early years, learnt a lot, saw some nice places and meet some nice people… Nice find that pic John, thanks for posting…

Fergie47:

Buzzer:

John. Hope this finds you and the family well…Jim gave us youngsters a break to go on the continent when it was still a rare thing for the Brits to do…for that I’ll always be grateful to him…only four of us originally when he was at
Cadnam…Tony Kimber (his sister married Barry Squibb). Kenny Batton… myself , and Colin Barns…later came Bev (who is on T.N.) and Derek Waite (,RIp )…Then they moved to Chandler’s Ford when it got quite big and they took on any old drivers, like Mappo, and Tony Mapson…( only kiddin Tone.)…don’t regret those early years, learnt a lot, saw some nice places and meet some nice people… Nice find that pic John, thanks for posting…

Fergie are all ok here thanks just looking at that list of the first drivers you mention a Colin Barnes, where did he hail from as I know a Colin Barnes but also his brother Barry who went on to do a hell of a lot of Middle East. They came from Brook near Cadnam and there mother was a school cook in Bramshaw where I went to primary school so just wondered if it was the same chap, if it is the same Colin he is a bit of a farmer and still in Bramshaw, cheers JD.

Hi all what a milestone this is, this Volvo F89 has recently past its 40th successive MOT at MC Truck & Bus formerly Princes Commercials. Must be nice for Richard and Angie who I believe ran this motor in there fleet and think it was new to PALL Europe in Portsmouth but I may be wrong. Back in the day that model was a force to be reckoned with on the road and we owned several over the years Buzzer

Buzzer:
Hi all what a milestone this is, this Volvo F89 has recently past its 40th successive MOT at MC Truck & Bus formerly Princes Commercials. Must be nice for Richard and Angie who I believe ran this motor in there fleet and think it was new to PALL Europe in Portsmouth but I may be wrong. Back in the day that model was a force to be reckoned with on the road and we owned several over the years Buzzer

Hi John,

Great photo,Paul Bowring phoned yesterday and asked if I’d seen the Daily Echo as it was featured in Tuesday’s copy. It was Aerosol Research and Development (ARD) in Fitzherbert Rd Portsmouth I bought it from when they replaced it with a new F12,it was in pristine condition even had the plastic on the cab interior,I gave £1500 for it,and ran it for several years Ian Rycroft R.I.P kept pestering me to sell it to him,which I did and he put it into Princes and they put a new cab on it,and Ian sent it to Bosnia to work out there.I think it was one of the last 12 to be built as I think Eurohaul had EAA 456S whch was an F10.

You and Horry will know where this pic is taken !

Regards
Richard

Scan16_zps6348e4a0.jpeg

also in the local paper this week , slightly before my time so dont know much about these local soton hauliers , i dont think i have ever seen a d series with a kerb side window , many thanks :slight_smile:

R & M Freight’s operating centre was Abbey Mill,Bishops Waltham & they were often seen carrying semi mature trees & shrubs for a famous Romsey based nursery/garden centre

R&M Scania.JPG

roolechat:
R & M Freight’s operating centre was Abbey Mill,Bishops Waltham & they were often seen carrying semi mature trees & shrubs for a famous Romsey based nursery/garden centre

Who brought them out when they went bust ?

Also from Paul Gee’s site is this Pilwood Feeds 1981 Seddon Atkinson with Hants & Dorset Bus station & The Lord Louis Mountbatten Public House in the background
Pilwood Feeds were based at Woodington Mill |East Wellow

Pilwood.JPG

roolechat:
Also from Paul Gee’s site is this Pilwood Feeds 1981 Seddon Atkinson with Hants & Dorset Bus station & The Lord Louis Mountbatten Public House in the background
Pilwood Feeds were based at Woodington Mill |East Wellow