Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hi all,
did you know its Charlies birthday today HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAZ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Talk tomorrow Andy

Happy birthday Charlie hope you have a good day but don’t drink to much.Have a good one mate. :smiley:

gerbil sb152:
Happy birthday Charlie hope you have a good day but don’t drink to much.Have a good one mate. :smiley:

Thanks a lot Kev. I shall do my best to stay sober! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Elders & Fyffes.

soton elders & fyffes.PNG

soton elders & fyffes1.PNG

Hi All,

Sad news today John Hood (The Wing Commander) passed away this morning R.I.P.

An experienced Continental driver who did many miles for Ron Blackman on Rawlings and for me on R & A.

Richard

tribsa:
Hi Jim & All
As you can all see Jim has made another superb model even putting personal bits on I had forgotten.
Each time I look at it I find even more detail brilliant Jim
But he did catch me not in uniform or as Kev said on duty with out a shave.

Thank very much again Jim
Rich

It’s a pleasure Richard ! I like happy customers, don’t forget I’d like to drive it to Gaydon 2019 ! :laughing: :laughing:

MaggieD:
Hi All,

Sad news today John Hood (The Wing Commander) passed away this morning R.I.P.

An experienced Continental driver who did many miles for Ron Blackman on Rawlings and for me on R & A.

Richard

So sorry to hear that Richard.I ran with him a few times. I saved a few shillings

And got a good nights sleep. I found him a very nice man. I’ve left a message on your phone.

I’d like to go and see him on his way.Keep us posted please Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Yep sad news that the Winco has gone. Eccentric wasn’t the word. A true gent. RIP “Winco”.

Hi all, yes very sad new’s about wing commander a very nice man a proper gentleman.

Blast from the past Jameson’s yard in Southampton, looks like the two trailers on the way out are having the cursery checks before release up the road of brakes and tyres, they had an in out system in there yard now a TP builders merchants, Buzzer.

Good morning all,
Found some old details of a company that oporated out of Ealing wharf, Totton many years back.
Deben transport, Carl Dawson and Kevin Simpson.
Think there HQ was at Felixstow and they used Norfolk line, anyone remember, or drove for them ■■? Harvey

HRS:
Good morning all,
Found some old details of a company that oporated out of Ealing wharf, Totton many years back.
Think there HQ was at Felixstow and they used Norfolk line, anyone remember, or drove for them ■■? Harvey

Remember them Harvey but like alot of container men they come and they go not always here for long, our old yard in Andersons Road was the home of Taylor Barnard but the future in Southampton dont look so rosy now what with Ranks on about closing the mill at dock gate 10 and what with the clean air bill proposed to charge trucks £100 a day they will kill the port off, dont know what they are on but it sure wont help the economy round the town thats for sure, they want telling and now and someone with some sense on the job, cheers Buzzer

PS think Debens are in Jimmy Alfords yard in Test Lane Nursling.

image.jpg

Buzzer:

HRS:
Good morning all,

Remember them Harvey but like alot of container men they come and they go not always here for long, our old yard in Andersons Road was the home of Taylor Barnard but the future in Southampton dont look so rosy now what with Ranks on about closing the mill at dock gate 10 and what with the clean air bill proposed to charge trucks £100 a day they will kill the port off, dont know what they are on but it sure wont help the economy round the town thats for sure, they want telling and now and someone with some sense on the job, cheers Buzzer

PS think Debens are in Jimmy Alfords yard in Test Lane Nursling.

They were in Jimmys old yard they went belly up a couple of years ago, the yard is storage now for new Mercedes trucks for Pentagon across the road

1948 MK5L Perkins P6 powered Seddon operated by James Duke & Sons Ltd,Abbey Mill,Station Rd,Bishops Waltham.
The Duke family bought the then 50 year old mill in 1902. & became large providers of animal feedstuffs/fertilisers/farming supplies from their various mills & retail outlets.
Many rural hauliers included on their ‘B’ Licences…goods for James Duke & Sons

roolechat:
1948 MK5L Perkins P6 powered Seddon operated by James Duke & Sons Ltd,Abbey Mill,Station Rd,Bishops Waltham.
The Duke family bought the then 50 year old mill in 1902. & became large providers of animal feedstuffs/fertilisers/farming supplies from their various mills & retail outlets.
Many rural hauliers included on their ‘B’ Licences…goods for James Duke & Sons

Great pictures Roolechat, I worked for Ashford Duke as a trainee sales rep my dad knew him well, general dogs body and delivering small amounts in a Bedford HA Viva van in 69, they were based in Romsey town center now all houses but I worked in there place in Fordingbridge which later was John Loaders, Buzzer.

Looks like a full shoot of oranges for some wholesale fruit market on this Pitters Commer.
I used to see Pitters drivers and lorries frequently in Bradford and Liverpool markets.
Ray Smyth.

Photo courtesy of Mark S Bailey and DeanB

AW Read from Grateley and then Durrington. Technically not Southampton but his tippers did run out of Foster Yeoman at Botley so that’s close.

Regards

Colin.

Hi All,

Just to say John Hood’s (The Wing Commander) funeral is Friday 23/11/18 at 2pm at Alderholt Church.

Regards
Richard

Good morning all,
More sad news, yesterday Gazza told me we had lost John Waters.
John and his brother Rick were very skilled technicians at Princes (Volvo) Millbrook, Southampton, Rick died on the golf course about 14 years ago and now John.
Rick was the “up and at um” type and John the very laid back type, a true gent in this transport world.
Many who visited Princes and needed to talk to a fitter will have met him, Rest in peace John. Harvey

An early shot of one of Pat’s 110 taken by Mark S. Baily, Buzzer