Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Near enough to Southampton.

Click on page twice to read.

Hi all yes I have just heard about John such a shame nice man

9E5778C9-8D2C-4860-B5ED-1CF3EA425720.jpeg

And his old truck was there. R I P John

039599AF-F39F-4B7B-AC7C-3528E410A4F0.jpeg

A lot of the older lads will recognise this old bridge…

Probably been over this one more than any other in France.

Hi all pony de tancarville I would have said and yes would agree probably one off the bridges we would have crossed the most. I could have done half a dozen crossing some weeks

Should have been pont not pony

gerbil sb152:
Should have been pont not pony

Hi Kev one night going for the bateau and hammering it down with rain my truck sucked air and I thought I was doomed but just made it over the brow and coasted toward Havre and IIRC there was a garage just that side of Tankerville and managed to put a drop in and get her going again and went like a bat out of hell and still made the boat Buzzer.

Hi all if you look close the two trucks on the left of the picture could be mark comptons

hi all me again in fact the red tilt is probably rawling’s there is also a white scania with twin exhaust stack’s could be one of pat’s. :sunglasses:

Hi all, just heard John Compton’s funeral is Friday 7th December at Salisbury crematorium at 15-15hrs wake after at the club in Downton.

Kev you could be right about Compo’s motor, has red air stack and airfoil and looks a darker cab, Buzzer.

Lovely man, a pleasure to work with him in my Kingswood days. R.I.P John.

D529 DOW,a 1986 FL10, was one of 6 LTS Freight Ltd vehicles operated on contract to Wim Voss.
Dave Thorburn (RIP)-one of life’s characters- is pictured on top of a Voss tank at Southampton’s Maritime Freightliner Terminal

A737RBK was another LTS vehicle in Voss livery,here photographed adjacent to the Truckwash in Southampton’s Western Docks

A737.jpg

Wim Vos in het groen 1006.jpg

Picture from Paul Gee’s collection of John Compton’s Scanny on traction for Calor gas, Buzzer

A04149p.JPG

Hi all, i wonder what year the picture of John’s scania was taken as there is no orange plate on the front was it that he didn’t need it or " oh sorry officer it must of fell off". I have not heard anything but i assume his funeral went as well as theses thing’s an, my son got married the day before in Devon so unfortunately i could not attend.

One of 14 AEC powered Guy Warriors which entered service with Regent Oil Co in 1963.Based on a 13ft 9" wheelbase, each had a Primrose Rear - A - Steer axle conversion.
When they were eventually withdrawn from service,some of them were purchased by Hills of Botley & IIRC formed the basis of the original Hill/Bridge Commercial T/units.
Perhaps DISPATCHER can confirm.

img317.jpg

Hi all. dennisphoenix i have tried to pm you back but not sure if it sent let me know if you did not get it i will try to resend. :smiley:

Hi Roolechat
Bridge Commercials none were built using that chassis configeration, sold a few as tankers and converted one to tail lift, for Shell contract.

who owned it first?

could be it was neither of these…… anyone know?

regards
Colin

nilocekyd:
who owned it first?

could be it was neither of these…… anyone know?

regards
Colin

Colin Roy Charrett owned and ran a varied collection of motors from Lorraines lorry park mostly Volvo’s in various states of condition on containers, we had a slot in there too as did many local chaps, not sure if he is still with us but one from the past in the Southampton haulage scene, JD.