Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Who knows ought about this motor of Keel Haul, would have to be one of our senior members judging by the number plate, could be next to an E.F.Phillips Volvo too, Buzzer

L1911p.JPG

Dave ( Fergie ) might know Buzzer, he subbed for Keelhaul for a while.

mappo:

He’s not as old as you Tone thought it might be a past job in your portfolio as there aint many you have not piloted for is there, Cheers JD.

mappo:

Mappo / Buzzer…Drove it too…never seen it under a tilt trailer though, always a semi-low, or low-loader

It was tired, but reliable, it wasn’t a factory sleeper, it was ( I think) a Locomotion conversion at Andover, only one bunk which made it cosy when taking a GF …!!! Just pulling the semi and boats around it never grossed that much, so plenty of power to weight ratio !! Keelhaul was a good outfit to work for, two nice guys who ran it, Tony Lovell and Tony Bailey. I enjoyed my time there, interesting and varied work, beat general haulage anyway…

Tony Lovell is now retired, but his business is still going at Hamble, doing all the paperwork and ■■■■■■ work for convoy exceptional, which has changed dramatically since I did it in the '70’s.

It was tired, but reliable, it wasn’t a factory sleeper, it was ( I think) a Locomotion conversion at Andover, only one bunk which made it cosy when taking a GF …!!! Just pulling the semi and boats around it never grossed that much, so plenty of power to weight ratio !! Keelhaul was a good outfit to work for, two nice guys who ran it, Tony Lovell and Tony Bailey. I enjoyed my time there, interesting and varied work, beat general haulage anyway…

Tony Lovell is now retired, but his business is still going at Hamble, doing all the paperwork and ■■■■■■ work for convoy exceptional, which has changed dramatically since I did it in the '70’s.
[/quote]
Morning fergie, The name “Ken” keeps coming up when I think of Keelhaul,■■? probably an age thing Harvey

HRS:

Morning fergie, The name “Ken” keeps coming up when I think of Keelhaul,■■? probably an age thing Harvey
[/quote]
No, nothing to do with a Ken, although you might be thinking of Ken Brown who also did boat haulage. …

Keelhaul got its name from the old Keel hauling, where as punishment an old salt would be ■■■■■■■, flung over the side of a ship whilst still under sail, and dragged from one side to the other, if he didn’t drown or his back ripped on the barnacles he was given a tot of rum and back to work…I think Buzzer use to do a similar think to his drivers, but under a trailer…so for a boat haulage company, hauling keels, it was an apt name. …
History lesson over…

No, nothing to do with a Ken, although you might be thinking of Ken Brown who also did boat haulage. …

Keelhaul got its name from the old Keel hauling, where as punishment an old salt would be ■■■■■■■, flung over the side of a ship whilst still under sail, and dragged from one side to the other, if he didn’t drown or his back ripped on the barnacles he was given a tot of rum and back to work…I think Buzzer use to do a similar think to his drivers, but under a trailer…so for a boat haulage company, hauling keels, it was an apt name. …
History lesson over…
[/quote]
Yep !! Ken brown it was, brain may last another day, Thanks, Harvey

Just popped a diary of keelhaul on the LDD thread. :wink:

Heres one of Hovis ERF’s in Southampton no doubt based at there flour mill on the docks.

A00313.JPG

Another Southampton firm from Deans thread a Mark.S. Bailey picture, Buzzer

L1743p.JPG

that looks like the big man himself norman drivivng doing day collections getting ready for the markets at night his yard workshop ect was in his garden in broadlands road swaythling ran about 8 lorries from there later peewit hill awesome geezer dont know what happened to his transcon would of loved to restore it

roolechat:
[

Baker2.jpg

roolechat:

roolechat:
[

Baker3.jpg

1994 ERF EC10 supplied by KL Commercials

!972 Scammell Handyman

roolechat:
1994 ERF EC10 supplied by KL Commercials

Hi roolechat, great shot mate, that brought back a few memories.
A young lady called Carol, sold Bob on the idia of the reflective boarders on the rear of the trailers and this one was free for him to evaluate.
You know yourself how good they were at night from behind, but after a few I dont think Bob continued, shame, they looked rearly good.
Thanks for posting that, Harvey

DOW 294 a 1946 Bedford O type 5t D/s.Following nationalisation,passed to Regents Park depot Southampton.Withdrawn from service 1957

Morning all.
Bit of Volvo ■■■■ in the early morning.
This shot was posted by " alexsaville" on his 2018 ayrshire road run thread, what a lovely looking unit eh!!
We talked about the Mithelin man before but I forgot all about the Viking man, who remembers him?? Thanks alexsaville. Harvey

“Help”
Trying to remember the name of a good Princes customer in Havent.
Clue: think Fitzherbert road Farlington.
T/M Phil Pratley
Dark blue F89 draw bars, think tilt bodies and trailers
Google earth shows nothing so they have gone or moved.
any one know, how about you Gazzer, Harvey

HRS:
“Help”
Trying to remember the name of a good Princes customer in Havent.
Clue: think Fitzherbert road Farlington.
T/M Phil Pratley
Dark blue F89 draw bars, think tilt bodies and trailers
Google earth shows nothing so they have gone or moved.
any one know, how about you Gazzer, Harvey

Morning Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well,the company was Aerosol Research and Developement Ltd ( ARD) Phil was a nice bloke I bought a couple of motors off him an F89 EAA 455 S and this F12 drawbar YCR 723 V both really well looked after by the drivers,and serviced in house regularly,the F89 is still running about.

The chap standing next to the F12 is Cliff Roberts R.I.P. who drove for Eurohaul for years and most of the lads on here will know him,lovely guy who tragically was killed on the Motorway when a mobile crane crossed the central reservation and hit him head on,a sad loss.

Regards
Richard

Richard I bought an F10 of them, well nicked it really came complete with snow chains etc. Took Les Slater with me to look her over and after he gave me the thumbs up I went into the office and paid for her, Les wanted to know how much I had paid and I think the words that followed was you jammy bugger and 3k was the price, Buzzer.