Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Good morning Richard,
Thanks very much for that, the name just would not come. for extra points, can you recall the name of the chap before phil ■■ was with them for many years died about 1979 ish, lovely funeral in Pompy.
Phillip was in the flight control business before ARD, trust you and yours are also well. Harvey

MaggieD:

HRS:
“Help”
Trying to remember the name of a good Princes customer in Havent.
Clue: think Fitzherbert road Farlington.
T/M Phil Pratley
Dark blue F89 draw bars, think tilt bodies and trailers
Google earth shows nothing so they have gone or moved.
any one know, how about you Gazzer, Harvey

Morning Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well,the company was Aerosol Research and Developement Ltd ( ARD) Phil was a nice bloke I bought a couple of motors off him an F89 EAA 455 S and this F12 drawbar YCR 723 V both really well looked after by the drivers,and serviced in house regularly,the F89 is still running about.

The chap standing next to the F12 is Cliff Roberts R.I.P. who drove for Eurohaul for years and most of the lads on here will know him,lovely guy who tragically was killed on the Motorway when a mobile crane crossed the central reservation and hit him head on,a sad loss.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, I refer to the tragic incident where Cliff Roberts lost his life. I recall an occasion where a mobile crane crossed
over the central reservation on the M6, somewhere between Thelwall Viaduct and Knutsford Services, would that have been
the same incident ? Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

MaggieD:

HRS:
“Help”
Trying to remember the name of a good Princes customer in Havent.
Clue: think Fitzherbert road Farlington.
T/M Phil Pratley
Dark blue F89 draw bars, think tilt bodies and trailers
Google earth shows nothing so they have gone or moved.
any one know, how about you Gazzer, Harvey

Morning Harvey,

Hope you are keeping well,the company was Aerosol Research and Developement Ltd ( ARD) Phil was a nice bloke I bought a couple of motors off him an F89 EAA 455 S and this F12 drawbar YCR 723 V both really well looked after by the drivers,and serviced in house regularly,the F89 is still running about.

The chap standing next to the F12 is Cliff Roberts R.I.P. who drove for Eurohaul for years and most of the lads on here will know him,lovely guy who tragically was killed on the Motorway when a mobile crane crossed the central reservation and hit him head on,a sad loss.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, I refer to the tragic incident where Cliff Roberts lost his life. I recall an occasion where a mobile crane crossed
over the central reservation on the M6, somewhere between Thelwall Viaduct and Knutsford Services, would that have been
the same incident ? Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,

Yes that would be the one he was it was on the M6 in that area,terrible waste of life,never met anyone who did not like Cliff.

I hope you and the current Mrs Smyth are well haven’t been up Wigan way lately but will give you a shout when I do.
Did go past the old Robert Baille yard in Horndean the other day though !
Regards
Richard

Buzzer:
Richard I bought an F10 of them, well nicked it really came complete with snow chains etc. Took Les Slater with me to look her over and after he gave me the thumbs up I went into the office and paid for her, Les wanted to know how much I had paid and I think the words that followed was you jammy bugger and 3k was the price, Buzzer.

Hi John,

I had a call from Phil at ARD one Friday asking if I could move one of their trailers from the ferry port in Portsmouth round to their yard in Farlington,it was when 38 ton had just come in and they only had tandem trailers,and it was overweight, he knew I had just bought a 6x2 Mercedes tractor unit from Spartrucks,I said no problem we are down there shunting trailers back to the yard on Saturday morning we’ll run it round.On the Monday he phoned to thank me, and would I send him an invoice,I said don’t worry it didn’t take long, my pleasure,right he said I owe you a favour in return.
About 6 weeks later he phoned again,I said do you want another trailer moved,he said no would you be interested in buying our F89 as Princes were supplying them with a new truck,(probably a deal done by a dodgy salesman can’t recall his name but he is on T/Net !!!) If so would I like to come and look at it as it was in the workshop having a full service,and wouldn’t be going out again.he said it was written down to £1500 on the books and I could have it for that,needless to say the deal was done.The plastic covering was still on the door cards,and Mike who was the regular driver had kept it immaculate.
Years later Ian Rycroft ECT Haulage Dorset kept pestering me to sell it to him,I ended up with one of his F12 Globetrotter’s, (which Truck magazine came and did an article on comparing it against a new one Dean may have a copy ?) and he had EAA 455S recabbed and rebuilt and worked it in Bosnia,before it came back and a chap in Ringwood bought it to transport his vintage boat all over Europe,I think he still has it.
I think it was one of the last F89’s built as EAA456S was a Eurohaul F10 if my memory is correct.

Here’s a pic of it after painting.

Harvey I can’t remember the previous guy at ARD,sorry.

Regards
Richard

Scan16_zps6348e4a0.jpeg

MaggieD:

Buzzer:
Richard I bought an F10 of them, well nicked it really came complete with snow chains etc. Took Les Slater with me to look her over and after he gave me the thumbs up I went into the office and paid for her, Les wanted to know how much I had paid and I think the words that followed was you jammy bugger and 3k was the price, Buzzer.

Hi John,

I had a call from Phil at ARD one Friday asking if I could move one of their trailers from the ferry port in Portsmouth round to their yard in Farlington,it was when 38 ton had just come in and they only had tandem trailers,and it was overweight, he knew I had just bought a 6x2 Mercedes tractor unit from Spartrucks,I said no problem we are down there shunting trailers back to the yard on Saturday morning we’ll run it round.On the Monday he phoned to thank me, and would I send him an invoice,I said don’t worry it didn’t take long, my pleasure,right he said I owe you a favour in return.
About 6 weeks later he phoned again,I said do you want another trailer moved,he said no would you be interested in buying our F89 as Princes were supplying them with a new truck,(probably a deal done by a dodgy salesman can’t recall his name but he is on T/Net !!!) If so would I like to come and look at it as it was in the workshop having a full service,and wouldn’t be going out again.he said it was written down to £1500 on the books and I could have it for that,needless to say the deal was done.The plastic covering was still on the door cards,and Mike who was the regular driver had kept it immaculate.
Years later Ian Rycroft ECT Haulage Dorset kept pestering me to sell it to him,I ended up with one of his F12 Globetrotter’s, (which Truck magazine came and did an article on comparing it against a new one Dean may have a copy ?) and he had EAA 455S recabbed and rebuilt and worked it in Bosnia,before it came back and a chap in Ringwood bought it to transport his vintage boat all over Europe,I think he still has it.
I think it was one of the last F89’s built as EAA456S was a Eurohaul F10 if my memory is correct.

Regards
Richard

Quite a history for that wagon Richard. Lots of TLC.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

MaggieD:

Buzzer:

Hi John,

Regards
Richard

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

That dodgy salesman wouldn’t be a bloke going by the name of “Fergie” Richard…? I’ll get me coat…

pv83:

jsutherland:

MaggieD:

Buzzer:

Hi John,

Regards
Richard

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

That dodgy salesman wouldn’t be a bloke going by the name of “Fergie” Richard…? I’ll get me coat…

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

[/quote]

" FERGIE " … YEP !!! get yor coat :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

HRS:

" FERGIE " … YEP !!! get yor coat :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
[/quote]
Hi Johnny,Patrick,and Harvey,

I know it wasn’t Fergie because he was in charge of an Iveco dealer,and Harvey looks like he is trying to shift the blame away from himself !!

Here’s a pic of her the week after I got it,before painting,looks like a Patrick type load ?

Regards
Richard

Scan 2018-7-27 18.55.50.jpg

Hi all how’s things with you Richard, not very clear picture but look,s to me like Malcolm knight behind the wheel with the wide box on. :sunglasses:

HRS:

[/quote]
Already got me hard hat on mate… :unamused:

MaggieD:

HRS:

Hi Johnny,Patrick,and Harvey,

I know it wasn’t Fergie because he was in charge of an Iveco dealer,and Harvey looks like he is trying to shift the blame away from himself !!

Here’s a pic of her the week after I got it,before painting,looks like a Patrick type load ?

Regards
Richard

[/quote]
Proper load indeed Richard, cheers for posting mate :wink:

Harvey a page or two ago you were on about Michelin men ( Barbenium ) or summit like that to give it its real name, anyways we had our own real life model Michy man one day in the form of Les Slater of LS Commercials who looked after my trucks for a good while, this was in a lighter moment don’t know if it was before the pub or after he got on top of my F89 but H&S would have a fit today, cheers Buzzer.

gerbil sb152:
Hi all how’s things with you Richard, not very clear picture but look,s to me like Malcolm knight behind the wheel with the wide box on. :sunglasses:

Hi Kevin,

We are fine thanks hope you and Jan are ok, it was Dave Meaton behind the wheel,I think Malcolm is standing by the side,picture was in Southampton Docks.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard yes he looks like a biggish chap so you will be right, do you know what he is up to know doe’s he still run his own truck back and forth to Germany. Glad to hear you are all ok down there on the border. :stuck_out_tongue:

MaggieD:

Buzzer:

Hi John,

Regards
Richard

Richard, i thought i had that down loaded on the old computer but just spent an hour looking for it
and cant find it. :unamused: I do have it, so will see if i can find it. From memory the F12 had done over
a million kilometres. :wink:

Meanwhile a Jameson one.

2017-06-07 17.15.39.jpg

Dean
Didn’t Volvo feature the 1 million Km ECT, F12 in their advertising?

kerbut:
Dean
Didn’t Volvo feature the 1 million Km ECT, F12 in their advertising?

Possibly Nigel cant remember. I am sure the article was in the truck and driver Dec 91 issue as there
was a bit about Ian Rycroft before it which i did scan. The reg of the F12 was RMU 981Y .Had a quick
look for the mag but cant find it.

ra.PNG

Heres the bit about the Volvo.

Click on pages twice to read.

Ironic that as we had RMU 920Y a globetrotter also, had to ring Horry to make sure of the number, but I think it was RMU 970Y but cant find a picture, cheers Buzzer.