Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Hi Horaces first aka Andy just thought I would post this to see if you have any French beans yet down in the South beans yet down in the South of France, its a green fi
ngered thing as you know, Cheers Buzzer.[/quote
Hi, Buzzer mine have just finished flowering I didn’t sow them till the middle of May cos it was too wet. We had loads of rain this spring, but loads of raspberries and blackcurrants, and started to pick courgettes .Salut Andy

Hi All
It is with great sadness I was informed today of the passing of Ivor Truman a long term owner driver for Hills of Botley and more recently with WW Shipping of 39 Berth Southampton & most recently retired to Thailand

Cheers
Rich

Thanks for the information tribsa . Ivor was a true gent always there to unload you at 35b will be sadly missed r.i.p Ivor
Regards gazzap

Buzzer:
Always been interested in number plates from a young kid and below are three very close ones, but who had 499 & 500 any one know, Buzzer.

As there are no takers Buzzer, this might narrow it down a tad, We at Princes would collect a long strip of numbers from, back then Portsmouth tax office, and could give the operator a little choice.
So the numbers you are looking for would be in the area covered by Princes, you probably knew that anyway but best I can do, Harvey

MaggieD:

neversweat1:

Hi Steve,

Great photo thanks for putting it on,hope all is well with you in Reading.

Kevin you are right it was Andy Meaton driving,here’s one of you posing at a Routiers somewhere ! Could be Jayat ?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

Everything Good In Reading Thanks - A French Facebook Site Is Using This Photo As Its Page Header

Cheers
Steve

Can anyone remember C F Davidson?
I am not sure if they came from Southampton but I can remember a very tidy black SK 1633? Mercedes tractor unit (Gold writing with C F Davidson on) had twin Eminox’s, so you could hear it a distance away. I remember it being driven through the middle of Newbury when it was the A34, past the garage I worked for then, usually had a fridge on - usually going into BOC Transhield, Thatcham (GIST).
Truck was very tidy, but no where near as tidy as the Blonde lady that sometimes drove it!
Thanks, Paul

Wessex Paul:
I am not sure if they came from Southampton but I can remember a very tidy black SK 1633? Mercedes tractor unit (Gold writing with C F Davidson on) had twin Eminox’s, so you could hear it a distance away. I remember it being driven through the middle of Newbury when it was the A34, past the garage I worked for then, usually had a fridge on - usually going into BOC Transhield, Thatcham (GIST).
Truck was very tidy, but no where near as tidy as the Blonde lady that sometimes drove it!
Thanks, Paul

Pompy outfit mate, tidy but it was a Stuttgart Hill stopper, Buzzer.

neversweat1:

MaggieD:

neversweat1:

Hi Steve,

Great photo thanks for putting it on,hope all is well with you in Reading.

Kevin you are right it was Andy Meaton driving,here’s one of you posing at a Routiers somewhere ! Could be Jayat ?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

Everything Good In Reading Thanks - A French Facebook Site Is Using This Photo As Its Page Header

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info,that photo is out of Truck magazine when George Bennett came down in the late 80’s a did an article on the R range.

Regards
Richard

Wessex Paul:
Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

Buzzer is correct, Colin Davidson did a lot of work for Commodore Shipping out of Portsmouth back in the 70’s and 80’s mainly 20ft boxes from the Channel Islands, I seem to remember him having a Transcontinental as well.
He had a Scotsman driving for him and one day he roared into the docks in a bad temper,got out pulled the pin on the fifth wheel without undoing the air lines,or winding the legs on the 20ft skelly and drove off,leaving it where it landed !

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Wessex Paul:
Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

Buzzer is correct, Colin Davidson did a lot of work for Commodore Shipping out of Portsmouth back in the 70’s and 80’s mainly 20ft boxes from the Channel Islands, I seem to remember him having a Transcontinental as well.
He had a Scotsman driving for him and one day he roared into the docks in a bad temper,got out pulled the pin on the fifth wheel without undoing the air lines,or winding the legs on the 20ft skelly and drove off,leaving it where it landed !

Regards
Richard

Richard that scallywag Mappo did that for me in Pompy docks chasing the pin on a SCACtrailer with no air and handbrake, that was in the gravel park when Pompy was only a small port and 20 trailers would have filled it up, the trailer bent like a banana but we manged to hook it up to tip it but it was a right off, he cost me dear and tried to win it back on the fruit machines to repay me but that never worked either, Buzzer.

Honestly dont remember doing that Buzzer, must have been someone else. :unamused:
The only err ’ incident ’ i recall with a Scac trailer, was when me and Winky parked near Warrington and we
went into town to have a drink or three…on returning to the trucks at about 02-00 , someone had been busy
with a box of matches ( that ATO aint 'alf inflammable innit )…
Me and Winky were tossing up who should ring you…" you do it, no i’m not ringing him "…think it was me in
the end that was brave enough to call you…thought you were gonna have a heart attack… :open_mouth:

Another one of Jameson’s.

A00336.JPG

mappo:
Honestly dont remember doing that Buzzer, must have been someone else. :unamused:
The only err ’ incident ’ i recall with a Scac trailer, was when me and Winky parked near Warrington and we
went into town to have a drink or three…on returning to the trucks at about 02-00 , someone had been busy
with a box of matches ( that ATO aint 'alf inflammable innit )…
Me and Winky were tossing up who should ring you…" you do it, no i’m not ringing him "…think it was me in
the end that was brave enough to call you…thought you were gonna have a heart attack… :open_mouth:

Mappo do have a picture some where of that burnt out trailer and that’s the trouble with dodgy drivers who go on the ■■■■ at a drop of a hat, no recommendations or references for ex drivers has always been my motto, too many come back and kick you in the ■■■■, JD.

Today I went on the most expensive ferry in the country.

The chain ferry from West Cowes to East Cowes. Exhausting.

100metres. Cost £ 2.60. Took nearly all me pension!

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Well done you Charlie, out of interest, what would it cost for a car ? and dont let anyone take the p**s that water can be very choppy. Respect, Harvey

HRS:

charlie one:

Well done you Charlie, out of interest, what would it cost for a car ? and dont let anyone take the p**s that water can be very choppy. Respect, Harvey

Good morning Harvey. Sorry I should have made myself clear. That was for the car.

I must tell you ,that journey was horrendous. We had to be chained down. I was told to drop me legs.

However I declined as I need them to get about! I was pleased when we docked. That was one hell of a

journey I can tell you. I’m still shaking now. However to be fair it may be due to the drink and drugs!

charlie one:

HRS:

charlie one:

Good morning Harvey. Sorry I should have made myself clear. That was for the car.

I must tell you ,that journey was horrendous. We had to be chained down. I was told to drop me legs.

However I declined as I need them to get about! I was pleased when we docked. That was one hell of a

journey I can tell you. I’m still shaking now. However to be fair it may be due to the drink and drugs!

Charlie did you go into Chantelle’s for a neat coffee to calm you down, then you saw Beatrice with a plunging neckline and it was back to square one, Buzzer.

charlie one:

Charlie,

All the lads on here have had a whip round to get your return fare, unfortunately we’ve only raised £1.45p so you’ll have to stay in East Cowes until Mappo has a win on the fruit machines,this could take some time.You could look in the charity shops there for a copy of the Beatles record “Ticket to Ryde” and come back that way, at worst you could use my DKV card.
I am on the Isle of Wight myself visiting a client in Parkhurst concerning a dodgy red Cluses stamp and permits,who says he knows you and will let you share his cell if you are stuck,I told him you know how to pick the soap up with your feet in the shower !!

Regards
Richard

Buzzer… no mate, i haven’t got any photos of the burnt out trailer.

Charlie… you’re lucks in so get your bags packed, i’ve had a win on the fruit machines
only put £100 in before i got the £25 jackpot, so right result. :unamused:

Richard…when you meet with your client Mr.Carman, could you please tell him that i’ve
still got the hump with him…When my previous employer , an upstanding member of the
Southampton lorrying community ( EH ) purchased in good faith one of Lennys 100% legit permits
the bloody thing was out of date, and ’ fingers ’ wasn’t happy and doubled his err admin fee. ( true story )

Baker 1.jpg

mappo:
Buzzer… no mate, i haven’t got any photos of the burnt out trailer.

Charlie… you’re lucks in so get your bags packed, i’ve had a win on the fruit machines
only put £100 in before i got the £25 jackpot, so right result. :unamused:

Richard…when you meet with your client Mr.Carman, could you please tell him that i’ve
still got the hump with him…When my previous employer , an upstanding member of the
Southampton lorrying community ( EH ) purchased in good faith one of Lennys 100% legit permits
the bloody thing was out of date, and ’ fingers ’ wasn’t happy and doubled his err admin fee. ( true story )