Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Chris Webb:

MaggieD:
Hi Chris,
Hope you are well on the I.O.M. great pics of the MK5’s I can remember that light blue Harp tanker with a young Charlie at the wheel, My MK5 tractor unit was a G reg. and had suicide cab doors,it came from Prince’s the Southampton AEC dealer at the time,they built it as it came in kit form as part of a cancelled order for South Africa if I remember right !
Here’s a pic I think you’ve seen of one of mine in LTS colours on the Isle of Man at Jurby airfield on it’s 1st trip.
Regards
Richard
PS I took the ropes and sheets off in case Harry & Dennis had a go at me :blush:

Hi Richard,aye still alive and well over here,not been blown off the island yet,although our lass had to go to Carlisle last week to fetch some washing back,I told her not to hang it out in a S/W gale that was blowing. :smiley: You did send me that photo of your Berliet at Jurby a few months ago,have you any more taken on the IOM? Is that motor on a “B” plate,if so it was 1984 when you were here with it.
A E Evans had one MK5 Mammoth Major with suicide doors,I can’t remember who the original owner was.It ended up at our Sheffield depot then went back to Barking,not a popular motor with the doors arse about face.Do you have a photo of your MK5 Mandator?
I would have done exactly the same as you,taking the ropes and sheets off before the photo was taken,those two would have had a go at you if it wasn’t right. :laughing:

Talking of suicide doors Terry Moody gave me these pics to put on of a MK5 Mammoth Major he once had the first two pics were taken in Tony Hilton’s yard Nursling the third is of what it looks like now!

AMJ745C, now owned & restored by Jim Read,was one of the last series 3 mark 5’s built(AV691 engine). It was supplied to LBC with a standard RTS cab and was used on internal shunting only. It was later converted to a driver training vehicle

The 3rd picure was taken at this year’s Worshipful Company of Carmen’s cartmarking ceremony in the London Guildhall yard. It was cart no 44

R-JACKO:
bump

is this a new word for great rich or is it dockie talk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

gazzap:

R-JACKO:
bump

is this a new word for great rich or is it dockie talk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

R-Jacko

Richie, Bump? lol to that!

Got us away from the bottom anyway.

How’s your Dad filling his free time?

Mike

Another pic from the late Alan Williamson’s collection

This time outside of Sea Route Ferry’s workshop in Empress Road Southampton

Alan is the driver on the right to the left of him is Dean Fox I can’t remember either of the other two, all in front of DMW 488L which had been recabbed with the later headlights in the cab not in the bumper cab following it’s roll over at Chilworth Roundabout!

Hi all still working on Tonys F12 he had on Buzzers stack, mirrors, spot lights, and some bits and pieces to do
And of course the trailer.

Regards Jimski

mikey1964:

gazzap:

R-JACKO:
bump

R-Jacko

Richie, Bump? lol to that!

Got us away from the bottom anyway.

How’s your Dad filling his free time?

Mike

Bump i mean hello Mike .Dads doing well thanks doing a lot of walking :laughing: :laughing:

Jimski:
Hi all still working on Tonys F12 he had on Buzzers stack, mirrors, spot lights, and some bits and pieces to do

Regards Jimski

Hello Jimski
Yet another crackin model.Where do you get all your spare time from :laughing: :laughing:

R-JACKO:

Jimski:

Regards Jimski

Hello Jimski
Yet another crackin model.Where do you get all your spare time from :laughing: :laughing:

Probably sends out one of his underlings! You know what these big tycoons are like.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all Hi Charlie I don’t have any underling I’m afraid it’s just me and I build em in my spare time which is getting less and less
I’m away 2 night and three days this week I have more nights away than Mappo, which he fuming about :laughing: :laughing: I told him no nights out that’s a proper job :unamused:
Hope your well Charlie, and thanks R Jacko :laughing:

Regards Jimski

pdw:
and a few more !

Hello pdw!

The Volvo F/G and F88 instruction book, is it many sides? It should be great to have.

Take care, drive safe
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

Hi all, just had a text from my mate said he shipped out last night with Micky cox, 70 now and still driving.my mate is in jayat tonight lucky him,said food still good. i have just had roast dinner at home and gonna sleep in me own bed tonight must beat jayat. :laughing:

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, just had a text from my mate said he shipped out last night with Micky cox, 70 now and still driving.my mate is in jayat tonight lucky him,said food still good. i have just had roast dinner at home and gonna sleep in me own bed tonight must beat jayat. :laughing:

Hi Kevin.Spoke to Terry Sparrow this morning.On his way to Dover to do a delivery of furniture loaded on top of the skins.
Then to Vicenza to tip skins.Seven collections of tiles.He is 74 now.Also friday is a holiday in France.He is in a new Globetrotter.I had steak and kidney pud for lunch.Would I swap with him? Yes. Anytime! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

gerbil sb152:

Yeah but Kev does ‘er in doors’ let you drink ‘le vin rouge’ until they turn the pump off?? :laughing:

Another pic from the Gaydon Retro show.

This time a Skillbeech F88

An early pic of Gary Bampton in front of my first Scania 140 a 1971 RWC 691K loading a Jameson trailer

Couple I had off Mo years ago.

Another of my old Scania 140’s PAM 108M

Hi all yes charlie i heard kev rawlings had a new volvo thought he would have took it for its first trip but terry will enjoy it.he might me 74 but still fit and healthy. :laughing:

Hi all Hi Gerbil I hope Kev when I’m 64 I could say that !! :laughing: :smiley: Hope your well Kev did you see my post other night had good chin wag with Winky , thanks for that Kev !!

Regards Jimski