London

I hate London, I really do.

I just had to pay £130 in fines for the same offence twice in two weeks. It was for “Failing to comply with a no entry sign” this was on Old Bond Street in London. I watched the evidence and it made me chuckle. you can clearly see me looking lost. It was also a two way road where normal traffic and buses come down one way and buses only travel the other way so it’s easy to make that mistake. Well try and spot a sign midway down the road after you have done a U turn as your lane was blocked off due to road works and the gent on a gate would not let you through a gate to re-join traffic :unamused:

Got done by a operator working a CCTV camera.

makes me laugh

mickyblue:

So do I, I’m tempted to through a sicky when I hear of London being mentioned.

Sorry to hear the ■■■■■■■ have fined you :imp:

I just wouldn’t go in to the centre in a truck. Anything round the a406 is ok.

:

mickyblue:

Sorry to hear the [zb] have fined you :imp:

I hear they might be banning the use of cameras as they are unfairly targeting people to gain a few quid.

mickyblue:

:

mickyblue:

Sorry to hear the [zb] have fined you :imp:

I hear they might be banning the use of cameras as they are unfairly targeting people to gain a few quid.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, wasn’t that a politician spouting the usual tripe, apparently the recessions over too and we will live happily ever after so long as we vote for them… :wink:

i actually sent an e mail to boris about london,i spent one day in an eighteen tonner on multi drop and i have never been so stressed at the end of the day,i told him how he does nothing to help delivery drivers and that london is geared up for buses only,wherever i went it was no right turn ,no left turn,no entry,i said that when there is space for delivery drivers and it says loading only you nearly allways get idiot car drivers parking in them and the traffic enforcement gestapo doing nothing about them,the answer i got back was an e mail from his pa apologising for my stressful day and trying to point out the best things about london,my reply was thanking her for the reply but it made no difference as i still hated london,as you do

mickyblue:

I just had to pay £130 in fines for the same offence twice in two weeks. It was for “Failing to comply with a no entry sign” this was on Old Bond Street in London. I watched the evidence and it made me chuckle. you can clearly see me looking lost. It was also a two way road where normal traffic and buses come down one way and buses only travel the other way so it’s easy to make that mistake. Well try and spot a sign midway down the road after you have done a U turn as your lane was blocked off due to road works and the gent on a gate would not let you through a gate to re-join traffic :unamused:

makes me laugh

If I’ve read this correctly, you were proceeding down the road legally, but then there were road works and you were forced to turn around which put you onto the bus only side of the road??
If that’s correct, appeal the tickets with the above information and you won’t have to pay.

I got a ticket once for stopping on a box junction, I’d stopped at a red light at a x roads which was the box junction, when my light turned green I set off, then a member of the pedestrians pressed a button on a pelican crossing, so I had to stop at that, and my back end was still in the box junction by approx. 9" so I got a ticket, appealed it with the explanation that I can’t predict the future and when I entered the box junction my exit was clear and you could clearly see on the picture that there was nothing in front of me and I was the 1st vehicle stopped at the white line for the pelican crossing.
I got a letter back apologising for their ■■■■ up and obviously didn’t have to pay.
In my appeal I also asked if it was an automatic camera or manned, expecting it to be automatic, but it was a human being that sent the ticket, so they could already see what had happened :smiling_imp:

waynedl:

mickyblue:

makes me laugh

If I’ve read this correctly, you were proceeding down the road legally, but then there were road works and you were forced to turn around which put you onto the bus only side of the road??
If that’s correct, appeal the tickets with the above information and you won’t have to pay.

I got a ticket once for stopping on a box junction, I’d stopped at a red light at a x roads which was the box junction, when my light turned green I set off, then a member of the pedestrians pressed a button on a pelican crossing, so I had to stop at that, and my back end was still in the box junction by approx. 9" so I got a ticket, appealed it with the explanation that I can’t predict the future and when I entered the box junction my exit was clear and you could clearly see on the picture that there was nothing in front of me and I was the 1st vehicle stopped at the white line for the pelican crossing.
I got a letter back apologising for their [zb] up and obviously didn’t have to pay.
In my appeal I also asked if it was an automatic camera or manned, expecting it to be automatic, but it was a human being that sent the ticket, so they could already see what had happened :smiling_imp:

Quota to be be fulfilled.

I deliver to shops etc and am frequently in central London. It is what it is…busy, slow, infuriating at times but I just get on with it. I have several times been on the cusp of making a turn only to spot the “no left/right” turn at the last minute. Bang the hazards on, reverse back onto the carriageway…if people don’t like well…tough!

I like London.

I used to go there with 7.5 and 18 tonners, now I am quite regular in the van. I think facilities for a delivery vehicles are brilliant compared to many other European cities.

We’ve got plenty of stores within the M25 but none as yet in the “city” so I can’t comment on central London but I certainly dislike the greater London area as a whole. It’s not that much harder to drive in (again can’t speak for the central part) it’s just such a dull and dreary, congested place to spend your time. We’re in 16’ trailers aswell so it limits our options somewhat, especially when the LLC comes into play.

I guess I’m just not a “city” type of person and I’m from one of the largest Towns in the country, but I’d rather have rolling hills, passing through little villages etc than the feeling of being in Greater London. As for fines and so on, I guess they are more stringent about such things the further in you go? We have 4 or 5 stores on a run, I certainly don’t envy the guys who have to do the serious multidrop, don’t think I could do it, not just in London but anywhere.

Couldn’t live there anyway just too crowded.

Why is there a always a quota for pro drivers, but never one for Johnny Jag that insists on parking in the loading box, blocking you off, and everyone behind you as well… Eg. illegal parked, causing obstruction, behaviour likely to breach the peace, etc etc.

Surely a better source of “revenue” for any quota-gatherers would be hitting those who can afford to drive flash cars ALL THE TIME and leaving the rest of us underpaid & overworked serfs alone…

I did a drop in Kennington a few weeks back, and when I was left high and dry outside because they wouldn’t open the damned gate (off a narrow side street in a residential area), I had nowhere to go. So, Engine off, I sat there only to have a number of chavvy speaking posh car driving dicks on their mobiles attempting to find who they needed to complain to about my bad attitude (refused to drive through the brick wall to get out of their way - there was nowhere else to go FFS!)

Anyways, they had no chance of actually speaking to a real person in the know on whatever “complaints line” they phoned, so just had to wait it out as I did. :smiling_imp:

Eventually, the manager turns up and opens the damned gate - The regular guy was on break, and couldn’t be disturbed. The manager only decidced after an hour, and perhaps a call from the rozzers that “he’d better go out and do it!” :unamused:

orys:
I like London.

I used to go there with 7.5 and 18 tonners, now I am quite regular in the van. I think facilities for a delivery vehicles are brilliant compared to many other European cities.

The best job I’ve ever had was driving 7.5 and 12tonners on artic money around London on late shift (getting up there just as things quietened down in the evening)

The runs were all timed by some London-blind day bod, so all got allocated around 2 hours extra than what it would take me to do the same job. Job and knock back in those days of course! :grimacing:

Incidentally, does anyone know who’s taking over the old Metro/Standard yard on the surrey quays estate? They’ve moved to Thurrock, but I figured one of the other depots in the locale might have it to expand their own reach… :question:

Those people that can’t or refuse to drive into London should really consider whether their cut out for the job because let’s be honest it’s not exactly challenging if your any good at the job.

Saaamon:
Those people that can’t or refuse to drive into London should really consider whether their cut out for the job because let’s be honest it’s not exactly challenging if your any good at the job.

This

mickyblue:

+1

Can’t stand the place, there reason is no excuse for it.

Much as I hate going to London I can get the best haulage rates for the distance/ fuel used,my London A-Z is just a mass of circles for streets I’ve been to drawn round in pen.

mickey its always worth appealing the fixed penalty.done this a few times in london and got a result.
wont cost you anything to try…

Is London that much worse than say any other large city in the UK?

Has Manchester or Birmingham not got as many restrictions and cameras to catch you out?

Surely these big cities are much the same, or am I missing something.

By the way I love driving in London but I am a Londoner.