London to ban HGVs if not fitted with correct safety gear

Looks like Boris and TfL are looking to ban any HGV’s that are not fitted with side guards and appropriate mirrors.

They are mainly targeting construction vehicles, who are currently exempt from having side guards, but all HGVs will be at risk.

News report here London to ban HGVs without safety equipment | Returnloads

The ‘Safer Lorry Scheme’ is due to go live in September 2015.

It needs hauliers to be prepared to just stop going to London. See how many weeks that scheme lasts when all those big businesses building projects and council road works don’t get done. I wonder if London council’s vehicles will get an exemption.

What will be interesting will be their explanation when accidents still keep happening. Quite why they’re not advocating MOTs and cycling proficiency tests and the mandatory wearing of cycle helmets as well I don’t know.

Also reported on BBC news

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31161801

I say hauliers should at least up the cost of delivery in to London, just in case they get one of the many fines that are now on offer.

They have to be seen to be ‘environmentally’ friendly and have painted HGV’s to be some kind of ‘enemy’ to the city. The fact is Londons infrastructure wasn’t designed for this many cyclists and until the cyclists know the dangers, because i am almost certain most HGV drivers know the dangers, deaths and serious accidents will continue to happen.

How is attaching a side guard going to stop a cyclist cutting inside you when you swing right to turn left?

:smiley: :smiley:
None of our lorries have them.

As its been said simply all haulage company’s Big or small to stop delivering within the inner ring road area

Leave them to it - Boris will then look like the buffoon he really is! Blue sky thinking at work here!

Driver-Once-More:
Also reported on BBC news

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31161801

Isn’t it a law that lorries are built with class 4/5 mirrors? And what class is a Frensel lens?
When I’m turning left, I don’t my eye off that near side mirror. Had a row with a well to do woman who was one footing it up the near side of a coach. Passenger window down, both barrels :blush: I KNOW I done her a favour.

It is going to get worse. Euro 6 only in the central area from 2020 if the ULEZ goes ahead (Boris Buses excepted, of course), and probably a lot more besides if their position on where air quality is and where is needs to be according to the EU doesn’t improve vastly in the meantime. All single-deck buses in the central area will be zero-emission from the same time so it could be even worse I suppose!

Let’s see the cost of food and supplies go through the roof - because it’s now so long-winded and costly to get stuff on the shelves anymore.

They’ve got the money - let 'em pay more for everything, including our services when local labour grinds to a complete halt. :imp:

Let London ban HGV’s altogether I say, could any of us really give a monkeys? It’s already outrageous the amount hauliers have had to shell out & the hoops they have to jump through just to service the damned place.

I’m sure we would all be much happier dropping everything at big hubs outside the M25 and bugger off leave BoJo & the cyclists to drown under a tidal wave of white vans & puddle jumpers.

Conor:
It needs hauliers to be prepared to just stop going to London. See how many weeks that scheme lasts when all those big businesses building projects and council road works don’t get done.

+1

Why not just ban cyclists without the correct brain capacity. :question:

Great news! They should ban us HGV’s from every town/city in the UK. Give it a month and they’ll have just about starved to death

Ryy86:
Great news! They should ban us HGV’s from every town/city in the UK. Give it a month and they’ll have just about starved to death

Does that include us [emoji1]

Only so many sarnies I can pack

That would mean I’ll never have to go back to that hell hole.

Boris and co would have a fit if they saw my tipper; Never mind all these “hug a cyclist” gimmicks, I haven’t even got a reversing camera.
Oh dear, that means I can’t work for peanuts for the likes of Hanson etc. :sunglasses:

Given that these fatal incidents always seem to concern cyclists & tipper trucks, there was another last night in London, where does the problem lie? Putting aside all the anti cycling guff for once, what makes these vehicles seemingly always involved in fatals. Is it the design? Is it the type of driver? Is it the type of work? Is it the sheer volume of them around the capital? It’s not as if they are very small, quiet trucks is it.
We all know that transport companies will not refuse to deliver into the city centre, it just won’t happen so, as appealing as it is to the drivers,forget it.

This is Sad, another one dies ! Perhaps cyclist training should be considered ?
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31192637

3 wheeler:
This is Sad, another one dies ! Perhaps cyclist training should be considered ?
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31192637

But suprisingly, no arrests.