London HGV night time ban

Hi does there have to be signs present advertising the restriction for ‘transport for London’ to prosecute.

I have been caught on the A110 Nags Head Road Enfield at 23.25 last Monday.

There are definitely no signs as you enter the road from the A10 or anywhere on the road for that matter, at least as far as meridian road?

I was under the impression that they had to warn of the restriction?

No signs needed.

But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t have been on the restricted road because it depends where you were travelling from and to and the purpose of you being on that restricted road.

I take it you have a permit? If you have, just answer the query letter and see what they have to say.

If you haven’t got a permit, suggest you pay up.Is it an operator or driver notice?

Thanks for your response interlog.

I was on my way from the M25 into coca cola on Nobel road, Edmonton.

Not sure if it was a driver notice or operator notice, just been told that the TM is fighting it and it’s potentially a £290 fine, don’t do London jobs often and have never been in a restricted zone of any kind before, not even 7.5t, I do try to stick to rules that I am aware of and obey all road signs.

Did you come off at the A10 at Southbury Road (cinema to the right as you go southbound on the A10) travelling from the M25 J25? You then did 0.9 miles on restricted roads.

You should have gone further south on the unrestricted A10 and go onto the A406 and come off to pick up the A1055. You would then have done fewer miles and that should have been the road taken.

Was there a road closure or diversion?

Here is a map for you to download (available for the next 7 days) should you ever go into London again:

fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gf … adfdf8ff3e

I might be wrong but I’ve been passing this junction all week on the way through Enfield to Woodford, so i’ve been tempted to go that way (glad I didn’t!). Coming from the M25 there is a left filter lane to join the A110 which does not have any weight limit signage that I can see. In the opposite direction, turning right at the lights, there IS a weight restriction sign (except for loading/access, can’t remember which) which is on a pelican crossing refuge. Be impossible to spot that sign from the left turn lane heading into Enfield. Might be worth pointing out to TFL.

Good luck, 290 quid’s a bit steep

Signs are not needed for the Lorry Control Scheme so that is a no brainer.

Just write back giving the required information they need and see what happens.

Remember that it is a condition of the permit that you must supply the information.

its simple really…firm says go there now.they told you to go they pay the fine, they really should give you a designated route in and out,if you deviate for no apparent reason you pay fine but if you have just course to deviate they pay fine. get that in writing or just don’t go. they can/will pile the pressure on you to do it but ask them to confirm it in writing BEFORE you embark on your journey .if they don’t then they know they are wrong and placing ALL the blame on you the driver.also if they won’t give ask them for their line managers number cos we all have a gaffer who is ultimately responsible.

Both the operator (£550) and the driver (£130) get fined so it is in the interest of both to follow the correct route.

Thanks for the info map.

I navigate with a truck map mainly with sat nav just to point out exactly where something is.

I wasn’t given a route to use but could really do without £290 fine, had a shocking month already, car scrapped due to MOT had to buy another to get to work, now this and we are expecting a baby any minute, feel like giving up and joining the ranks of the unemployed we would probably be better off, I say that but I know I never would.

The fine for the driver is £130 (or £65 if paid at discount) so not too sure where you get the £290 from?

interlog:
The fine for the driver is £130 (or £65 if paid at discount) so not too sure where you get the £290 from?

dont get that sorry…fine the driver who has been told to go there? sorry but i dont pay to work, i work to get paid .
you work for azty company an they say go there,so you go and PAY for that privilege ,no way pal, company pays or i dont go simple,same as company pays for parking their truck not me,not part of wage/night out allowance ,their problem. if they wont/dont pay park in layby/ind estate have derv/load nicked but not your prob.any ANY driver that pays for parking out of n/o money or wage or pays for congestion or other fines needs to find another job.
it’s there truck and goods let them pay for its delivery. :imp:

Well that is the way the law says that it works.

Company gets a letter sent by London Councils when a truck has been seen on a restricted road and needs to provide details including the driver’s name.

If London Councils believes following that letter that the vehicle should not have travelled on the restricted road a Penalty Charge Notice for £550 is sent to the operator and a Penalty Charge Notice for £130 is sent to the driver.

Failure by the operator to tell London Councils the name and address of the driver may result in the license being revoked meaning no more travelling on restricted roads full stop.

Just refer to the map I have linked to above and work out how to get to your destination using minimal restricted roads.

I haven’t been that way for over 18 months now, but I seem to remember seeing on a designated route sheet for a delivery in Enfield Town a warning about being particularly careful regarding Southbury rd. It must be because there are several inhabitants who think their **** doesn’t stink living there.

The whole system is based on the idea of routing so that the shortest possible use of ‘banned roads’ is made. This can get extremely silly indeed. Some years ago the route from the A2 or A20 to the Elephant was altered from using the south circular and the A23 northbound to the shorter route on restricted roads which was:

A 205 south circular all the way round to Kew continue on north circular to the A40 and follow this until it becomes the A 501 Pentonville rd and City rd to Gardner’s Corner and ending up going over London Bridge because it was 200 yards shorter on restricted roads.

This farce lasted for about three weeks.

This is the reason there should be a ban of anything over 3.5t inside the M25. Have a series of warehouses for trucks then let’s transits & sprinters do the rest.

Personally I’d let the ■■■■■■■ starve, they’d soon want our big dirty nasty to drop them their food, Tvs, cars, clothes, drinks etc off.

interlog:

I am an agency driver and have been told that there is a potential for a £290 fine, if the appeal by the operator doesn’t succeed.

I certainly won’t be paying anything unless it is a direct PCN addressed to me.
If the operator doesn’t succeed I won’t be working for them again if I do have to pay it (have worked for them for a couple of years amongst others), it’s their loss.

As far as saying it’s there truck, their problem, I don’t think it will get me very far, through experience it is often best to pay fines ASAP otherwise ‘the man’ finds a way of doubling or increasing it, then throwing bailiffs at you. As far as contesting it in court it would cost me more to go to court than to pay the initial fine.

You don’t go to Court to appeal the fine. You go to Adjudication which is free but you will not be able to pay it at discount at that point.

The fine is never £290.

I quoted the figures and they are correct.

Somebody is having you over there.

And London Council will isssue a fine to you personally after the operator has nominated you as the driver of the vehicle.

thelorryist:
This is the reason there should be a ban of anything over 3.5t inside the M25. Have a series of warehouses for trucks then let’s transits & sprinters do the rest.

Personally I’d let the [zb] starve, they’d soon want our big dirty nasty to drop them their food, Tvs, cars, clothes, drinks etc off.

The transit van solution for many reasons is unfeasable, but so long as campaigners are willing to believe it is then roll on the lorry ban.

No prospect of awkward london city centre deliveries, ever?! Bring it on.

interlog:
You don’t go to Court to appeal the fine. You go to Adjudication which is free but you will not be able to pay it at discount at that point.

The fine is never £290.

I quoted the figures and they are correct.

Somebody is having you over there.

And London Council will isssue a fine to you personally after the operator has nominated you as the driver of the vehicle.

Quite possibly the ‘extra’ on the fine is the admin fee charged by an agency or hire company for passing the fine on to the correct driver.I know that £60 speeding fine turns into £90 if you are driving a Northgate van

There is a map book you can get with the info in it for the London LGV night time thing. I’ve got one and wrote a post about it here: