London Cycle Accidents

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31612253

until they educate cyclists accidents will happen.

I see to many weaving in and out of traffic, undertaking and the likes. Although fair play to putting police on to ‘inform’ offenders (wonder how many vehicles will be fined etc.)

Firstly the M25 doesn’t denote London’s borders by a large degree.In which case the figures would already be misleading on the basis of the title of the story.

As for police being deployed at junctions I’d guess their remit won’t include the enforcement of rule 73 of the highway code concerning cyclist behaviour at junctions. :unamused:

If it’s anything like previous efforts they have a short blitz in which tickets get handed out for red light jumping, after which it reverts to business as usual.

they can spend as much money as they like on the cycle superhighways,but will cyclists use them,the amount of times I have been in London in the last 5 years and seen cyclists not using the cycle lanes,when you point it out you get a load of abuse from them

Carryfast:
Firstly the M25 doesn’t denote London’s borders by a large degree.In which case the figures would already be misleading on the basis of the title of the story.

As for police being deployed at junctions I’d guess their remit won’t include the enforcement of rule 73 of the highway code concerning cyclist behaviour at junctions. :unamused:

And as usual your guess would be incorrect. It states “road users” that includes cyclists btw.

Stupid is what stupid does. Cyclists will continue to act like morons, it doesn’t matter how cycle friendly London gets.

It takes two to tango & it’s not as if motorists are whiter than white is it? Or don’t you look at other threads on here?

Friend of my dad who regularly drives an artic into London got put on one of those cyclist awareness courses.

Basically they sit down a few lorry drivers and some cyclists in the same room and have a proper discussion bout it. They put cyclists in a lorry cab, drive them round etc to show them how difficult it is.

Them they send the lorry drivers out on bikes. I guess, expecting them to moan about how dangerous being on a bike is etc. but because all the truck drivers didn’t weave in and out of traffic and actually stopped at red lights and behind large vehicles they all got on fine and couldn’t see what the problem was.

The cycle instructed then gave this answer when told “cyclists jumping red lights is extremely dangerous”

Remember, this is the cyle awareness course INSTRUCTOR. “I don’t see the problem with jumping a red light if we have a look and can see nothing coming”.

Attitudes need to change, and I feel it’s more from the bike community than truck drivers.

The cyclists jumping reds aren’t just a hazard to themselves: many junctions have an ‘all red’ phase so pedestrians can cross the road.

If a cyclist hits an older person the result is often life changing…old ladies who break bones usually don’t make a full recovery

don’t know if this has been posted but well worth a look :open_mouth:

Think I’m gonna have to re-post this one from 109LWB’s other thread here.

nick2008:
don’t know if this has been posted but well worth a look :open_mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2UsaO9vEJs

wow so within 30seconds of watching someone getting squished he then goes back to weaving in and out of traffic and undertaking a bus■■?

It’s like truck drivers are never at fault isn’t it :unamused:
For every video of a lousy cyclist you don’t have to search far to find a lousy truck driver.
Although this forum doesn’t seem to be able to admit that :unamused:

If LGVs have so many blind spots and involved in so many accidents it does make you wonder how they are allowed in City centres mixing so closes to pedestrians and cyclists.

Wasn’t they a case where a female student was tragically killed by a truck turning left in London and it was found out that indicators on the truck were not working :unamused:

I shall post link here when I find it.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ction.html

Er think you’ll find that particular accident happened about a year ago in Victoria. The woman concerned was a leading climate change cyclist.

There was a full report of the inquest in the Evening Standard.

standard.co.uk/news/london/c … 36906.html

The truck was a Cross Rail tipper, festooned with all the cycle safety gear.

CCTV revealed that she rode straight into the crush zone as it was turning (and indicating) left, with its warning buzzers sounding.

road.cc/content/news/106227-coro … ke-lorries

Nothing the lorry driver could have done

GasGas:

Makes you wonder why trucks should have working indicators then?

chester:

GasGas:

Makes you wonder why trucks should have working indicators then?

Mind you in the video above I posted the truck driver has working indicators but just simply choose not to use them :unamused:

yes some drivers maybe at fault but why risk going up the inside of cars/vans/trucks when all you have is a foam helmet as protection?

why do a whole load of cyclists refuse to use cycle paths? why do these club riders who think they are Bradley wiggins insist on riding 3 and 4 abreast?

accidents happen but if am riding a bike I will wait only last night one went straight behind me from the other side of the road and was missed by inches by a car coming up the inside of me (he was turning left at a roundabout ahead).

I am sure some of these helmet cam videos must be " speeded up ". When I am " riding along with them " at those speeds in and out of traffic etc., is just me who thinks let me off this bike you lunatic you’re going to kill both of us ?. Yes I know I am getting on a bit,but WTF ?.
Regards. John.