Location, Location, Location

I guess everyone here has their problems finding locations for pick-ups and drop-offs. Sometimes the postcodes you get are plain wrong, sometimes the centre of the postcode is a mile from where the warehouse is …

There are days when I waste an hour easily to find my destinations, and it’s getting on my nerves.

I was wondering if there is an appetite for drivers on this forum to contribute to a database of destinations, e.g. the company name, the postcode they give you, and the real location as longitude and latitude and what3words shortcut, and maybe the odd comment on how to do things there?

This should save lots and lots of time, as you can just look up where you go to, and have the database send you a text message with the coordinates etc., that you can then use to send to your navi (my Garmin can take a location from my3words from a text message).

I’ve attached a screenshot with some sample locations so everyone can see what the data will look like.

A big problem will of course be choosing who can enter data, as if the data is dodgy, it will do more harm than good. In the sample data, the exact location is always set for the entry gate.

Technically not a big deal, and I already have written a working application with its own database that can send the location data to a mobile. I have to pay a good £0.19p per text as the messages are over 160 characters, so it’s in reality 2 text messages. So there would be a charge if you want the data sent to your mobile, and it could be free if you just copy the location data from the screen.

If the trucknetuk.com form operators are up for it, it could use the log-in credentials from the forum so that only forum members can contribute.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Wouldn’t pay for such a service. 99.9,% of the time postcodes are fine, the only times they are not is when the office haven’t updated them on the computer systems. A quick Google maps check beforehand or check the street name comes up with the postcode is usually sufficient.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I hate it when companies dont have a sign up .
Had one bit ago drove up down the estate asked about. Phone calls and hour later.
Was told look for green building no signs on it that’s where we. Are.

How will you comply with GDPR rules as well with the data you have from users?l etc.

simcor:
How will you comply with GDPR rules as well with the data you have from users?l etc.

An address is public, so are coordinates. There are no GDPR issues. The only use data will be log-in credentials, and they will be encrypted and compliant.

At this point, I think I’ll throw the towel in already. Looks like the main response is to tell me why it’s either unnecessary or illegal.

Instead of trying to build yet another data base why not use what’s available.

what3words.com/

On the 3 occasions I’ve used it I found it effective.

Wiretwister:

what3words.com/

Oh dear. If you look at the screnshot, it also uses what3words. You need the three words first, don’t you?

I completely see what you’re getting at. As a recently returned agency driver, I’m already having the vapours about where I’m going next week. Looking on Google maps can be really helpful, but often, the postcode is for the main company, not necessarily the delivery/collection point.

I usually ask at a new company if they have a ‘Yoda’ who knows all the destinations. Most do, but you can’t get their number until they know you (more than fair). And another problem I’m finding is that where there always used to some bod in the gatehouse to ask, I’ve been to a few places now that just have a buzzer or a keypad, and the barrier just opens…. Where now? :unamused:

But while I think it’s a good idea, and you’ve obviously put a lot of effort in, I can’t actually see how it would work in practice. For instance, someone may know where the bottles get delivered into a soft drinks factory - but will they know the set-up for the tanker transport? I think it would be a mammoth task! Nice idea though…

Look you posted a topic and then don’t like replies you’ve got. Try looking at them as constructive criticism.

I never said it wasn’t a good idea in theory.

As you said who would be reposnible for the data being collected or correct as you clearly pointed out, allowing anybody to provide the data doesn’t make it correct.

I merely pointed out GDPR as I’m sure there would be some GDPR rules to consider on how data was handled. Without specifically looking into it I couldn’t say but it was a point for you to think about if you hadn’t thought about it.

Also my other concern would be user retention, as once they have used it for a place once they would be unlikely to use it again for that same place, and given the majority of jobs involve going to the same places mostly time and time again, once you know where it is etc you wouldn’t need to use it again.

Again my other concern is cost when there are free ways of doing the same job.

But just for balance it’s a great idea and I suggest you plow money/time into it getting it up and running as everyone will use it and it will make you a fortune.

As clearly that is the kind of response your looking for.

Knallfrosch:

Wiretwister:

what3words.com/

Oh dear. If you look at the screnshot, it also uses what3words. You need the three words first, don’t you?

Again finding out the “what 3 words” is easy enough without needing your database. Given the age of a lot of drivers they possibly don’t even know what “what 3 words” is or have ever used it.

I’ve got a tongue in my head, if I dont know I ask

Knallfrosch:

Wiretwister:

what3words.com/

Phone the customer, collection/delivery point for those details.
In the middle of an old airfield postcode did’nt get close.
Customer access via 4 miles of private rural road with little signage postcode & sat nav didn’t get close.
Delivery access different to admin building access.

Like I said it worked well for me on the 3 occasions I’ve used it.

In all my years of driving, I have only ever had 2 postcodes that took me to the door.
I google maps every job before I go there.

I think it is a great idea, however you will have to make it chargeable as your workload will be vast as it grows.
I consider it would be better if all companies (UK wide) provided the details instead of drivers.
If no 3 words are provided for the exact location the customer needs the truck to arrive at (not the staff entrance), then no delivery.
It is exactly the kind of system the industry needs to have as a standard to improve driver’s conditions.

The RHA can do a lot to help ease the waste on fuel, driver’s time, turn risk etc. but I am not aware they have ever done so.
Now is the time for them to start & your idea would be a good choice for them to push to be implemented.

Don’t give up.
It is a good idea.
Good luck.

Ok, let’s see where this takes us.

The public version is at watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/hgv - for those that don’t want to contribute.

If you want to add your own locations to the database, send me a private message, and I’ll set up a username and a password for you.

Kind regards,

Christian

Knallfrosch:

The public version is at watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/hgv - for those that don’t want to contribute.

If you want to add your own locations to the database, send me a private message, and I’ll set up a username and a password for you.

Kind regards,

Christian

Looking at that chart.
Says turn engine off
Reverse into a bay go goods in etc etc.
Most of the remarks are common sense.
And 9 times out of 10 at places you book in at a security gate and they give you instructions anyway .
So don’t get the point of your database really

edd1974:

Knallfrosch:

Kind regards,

Christian

Looking at that chart.
Says turn engine off
And 9 times out of 10 at places you book in at a security gate and they give you instructions anyway .

So you never ended up 2 miles down the road where the postcode led you?
So you never turned up half an hour later than the last acceptance for deliveries?
So you never had a hard time finding a company as there was no sign with the name on it, as it was actually part of another company?
You must be the perfect driver, and you certainly won’t need a database like this one. It’s just for beginners, and not for people like you that know every single destination in this country by heart. Congrats!

Tbh these days there’s enough on Google earth to see a layout of a place. It’s even been good enough to get me to wind farms and sub stations in the middle of nowhere in Aberdeenshire, and I mean middle of of nowhere.

That’s not to say it wouldn’t have a use at times, just that for me personally I’ve not experienced these problems so wouldn’t need to fix it.

I used to deliver frozen food to hospitals. Find the hospital?, follow the signs. No problem. Then try to find the Kitchen back door■■? in the hospital complex. :smiley: :open_mouth:

Knallfrosch:

edd1974:

Knallfrosch:

Kind regards,

Christian

Looking at that chart.
Says turn engine off

So you never ended up 2 miles down the road where the postcode led you?
So you never turned up half an hour later than the last acceptance for deliveries?
So you never had a hard time finding a company as there was no sign with the name on it, as it was actually part of another company?
You must be the perfect driver, and you certainly won’t need a database like this one. It’s just for beginners, and not for people like you that know every single destination in this country by heart. Congrats!

That attitude isn’t going to help you.

Parts of it would be useful, things like report to goods in, turn engine off at gatehouse etc are a bit pointless

As has been said before, most people take a little time to check where they’re going beforehand with Google etc. I personally never follow directions from other people, i prefer to find the places myself, i never forget them that way.