Local jobs for local hauliers!

I have noticed that just recently, there seems to be alot of outsiders hauling for container firms in felixtowe. Yes mr benton brothers & mr R.P.L to name just a couple! I know for a fact that felixtowe is very slow at the moment so why cant hauliers like this bugger off out of there and leave the work for near bankrupt local firms. I mean, it’s not as if they normally haul out of deserted towns or anything is it, R.P.L is a company from milton keynes so if they cant get work there then pack it in. Maybe if they did ■■■■ off out of felix then perhaps we wouldnt be seeing so many local firms going short!!

container logistics is a little mopre complicated than that

so in your senario you have container firms paying extra lifting charges at midlands container yards so you can take the container that a liverpool haulier loaded in southport and has to go to felix to catch the ship

or could that liverpool haulier take the box into but then have to run back to liverpool empty for no money at all … yeah right

ill bet your boss would do the same if he took a box in to liverpool yeah right get real

Could not agree with you more DD666 the problem is a lot of the national hauliers like Wincanton and Maritime have depots all over the UK and it is obvious cross border work will insue, I like a lot of the so called local hauliers hope that the out of towners get fed up with all the standing about waiting for work and pack up and go home, But I woun’t hold my breath

I dont think you’ll see to many pulling out as most of them are subbing to the big companies wincanton etc. anyway. But i do understand what your saying. The only thing is maybe some of the big ones will have to lay off subbies to make enough work for there own trucks. I dont see it getting any better in the next few months though.

nothing stopping you dirty devil to go where you want to get your work. do you only pick up containers from felixtow?
having said that i do know how you feel it ■■■■■■ me off that i cant find any work down my neck of the woods .
its not a case of price, or how good your reputation is either,ive never let any of my customers down i would rather rent a truck and loose money rather than let my customers down.
but none of that counts for nothing its always and always will be a case of who you know to get yer foot in the door always have been always will be as far as im concerned

john

The ‘Little Britain’ psyche starts to raise its head :smiley:
How long do ya give it before we start going round and chasing Poles out the country and blockading the ports so no foreign trucks can come in !! LOL !!!

Mike-C:
How long do ya give it before we start going round and chasing Poles out the country and blockading the ports so no foreign trucks can come in !! LOL !!!

thats not a bad idea mate well done!!!

Mike-C:

I’ll go with that one, I might be in business till xmas then.

Soft tart, you will be wanting A, B & C licences next and a bloke walking in front of your truck with a red flag :laughing:

these newcomers could be just collecting boxes for there own customers
Argos Homebase and B&Q collect some of their own stuff
so others may do it as well

hope we don’t see none of you tractor boys up here in the midlands then bringing stuff into our places

rpl have been pulling boxes round for hanburys/wincantons for years mate. its not a recent thing. and i take it you never tip/reload at any other dock then?

If we could have kept the “foreign” competition out of Hull, there would never have been respected West Yorkshire companies like A - One Transport or Priestner moving timber,

You carrot crunchers were taught about container transport by Newell and Wright & Atkins of Derby when they realised you would work for nowt :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
If we could have kept the “foreign” competition out of Hull, there would never have been respected West Yorkshire companies like A - One Transport or Priestner moving timber,

You carrot crunchers were taught about container transport by Newell and Wright & Atkins of Derby when they realised you would work for nowt :stuck_out_tongue:

I think R.D’s had already beaten them to the punch Wheelnut ! :laughing:

You need to remember also the likes of DHL, Wincanton, Eddie, etc that come into these ‘outsiders’ local towns and take the bulk of the haulage work meaning local firms have to work from docks around the country to make a wage.
We were busy with a local brewery and manufacturer until a logistics giant trampled in meaning we now work in and out of Felixstowe and Southampton and we are nowhere near either dock!

I hauled containers out of Southampton and Tilbury for Cannons (before they laid me off) who are based in Didcot. We had the contract from The Pier who are based on the same estate, Milton Park. There were about 7 containers a day for The Pier and they all needed to be shunted into position, most of the time by 6am, but there was only 2 bays on one building and you can get 4 on the other. You need someone on standby all morning to take the empties off and put a full one on. Only someone local could do that “economically.”

Well the major shipping line I pull forward have assured me that if required the away from Felixstowe trucks will be first on the chopping board should the amount of subbies need to be reduced, with the exception of a midlands company who have been pulling for them for a long time :wink:

Its a bit of a job to prejudice as “we” are based in Suffolk around Felixstowe and haul nationwide so its a no win situation as previously mentioned :unamused:

I reckon all those containers should go by train anyway… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is it only Norfolk and Suffolk that think we have political borders in the United Kingdom? The siblings of Daisy Duke will keep her in child benefit to support the family. :wink:

Felixstowe grew from the need for a deep sheltered port, although it doesnt seem so sheltered when the winds blow and you all park up in Orwell Crossing :stuck_out_tongue:

It also grew because of the unions and the dock workers being forever on strike in the traditional ports of London, Liverpool, Southampton and Hull.
The workforce was taken off the land and given lorry licences. :wink:
Those workers had to be replaced by Poles and Itinerant travellers to gather carrots.

As the ships grow the need for larger and deeper terminals like Hunterston & Scapa Flow are needed. We all live in a global economy and the idea of trying to ringfence loads may be a good idea if you run trucks from Royston Vasey :stuck_out_tongue:

UnionJack:
I reckon all those containers should go by train anyway… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So should all the vegetables farmer boy :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: