Loading/Unloading and breaks

When loading and unloading, I am still working obviously. However, I’m often put under pressure by the TM to take breaks during this time. If I hadn’t have done this last week, I wouldn’t have got back to base withinn 15 hours and I don’t have a sleeper cab. I’m sure others have been in this situation. How do they deal with it. I’nm also under additional pressure because I’m on trial for the 6 months starting a month ago. What should I do?

Ader1:
When loading and unloading, I am still working obviously. However, I’m often put under pressure by the TM to take breaks during this time. If I hadn’t have done this last week, I wouldn’t have got back to base withinn 15 hours and I don’t have a sleeper cab. I’m sure others have been in this situation. How do they deal with it. I’nm also under additional pressure because I’m on trial for the 6 months starting a month ago. What should I do?

Find another job or sign up with a agency, you don’t want to work for a outfit like that.

Ader1:

Take jobs back its your licence not theirs ! If they try to put to much work on you its their fault not yours
Working on breaks is illegal and DVSA or plod could make you take break again at best and worst fine you

P/s DVSA could even give you a nice luminous green bike lock as well to use on your break

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you haven’t said, I’ll assume this is your first gig. And the reason I’m saying that is that you DON’T have to put up with that anymore. You NOW have experience and I can’t see why you have to put up with that, other work is open to you…

LEAVE!!! :smiley:

I bet you work in food delivery ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
I bet you work in food delivery ?

Or home/residential delivery…

Ader1:

If you are actually working then yes that is wrong. And you should be looking for a new job. Plenty of jobs out there that don’t require you to do this.

Ask the other drivers at the company how they get on with the time regarding fitting it all in…ie loading/ unloading/ breaks … If it becomes apparent that this abusing the breaks then you then got some options…

Option 1 - Stick with the company, Take ya breaks when loading and unloading, knowingly break the law and hope no finds out and face the music when something goes wrong…fines…etc etc but it will be far worse for the company being investigated by DVSA…suspension of operators licences

Option 2 - Play by the book, breaks when you need / required to by law … when time starts to running out call the office and tell them on way back… number of deliveries not completed

Option 3 - If the TM is pressuring you to abuse the tacho laws, then you need to man up and state its my licence and I work within the guidelines of the law…

Look for another job… you dont need this crap… then kindly drop a line to DVSA …Sure they’d be interested in a Muppet company to investigate …

Depends whether you are actually working, or just sat around while others unload your truck?

Ader1:

1 your being bullied to break the law if your taking breaks whilst working.
2 if you can’t get all the work done that’s the bosses fault, take it back.
3 grow some , tell them , and if they aren’t helping walk .
There are other jobs out there, as its been said its your licence and any regulations You break YOU will be the one in the firing line .

NAME AND SHAME MATE. Don’t be afraid-we have far too many drivers who are afraid as it is.

That’s why these companies do it. Because frightened drivers cack themselves and bow to pressure.

The best thing all round is to take your breaks .I have worked with a lot of idiots who work there breaks and flee around like lunatics .These monkeys just don’t have a clue the damage there doing always looking for a pat on the back . If they keep expecting you to break the driving regs I would walk and report them for doing so

Just don’t do it.

Your TM will be the first one to throw you under the bus if VOSA come knocking. Best thing for you to do is to comply with the law. Take jobs back and if the TM bitchs at you, you need to stand up for yourself. VOSA and the plod take a very dim view of tacho fraud so don’t risk it. If you were unloading whilst the tacho was set to break and you had an accident, questions will be asked to why you were doing work when you should of been on break and you will not like what VOSA have in store if you answer wrong.

Like everyone else has said, do not do it. Falsifying records is the worse thing you can do and can be very costly to you if caught by DVSA or Police.
The Traffic Commissioners have also made it very clear now that drivers can not just blame their bosses, so you are risking not only a fine but potentially lose of licence at a Public Inquiry. (Doesn’t seem worth it for the sake of a 15,30 or 45 minutes break)

Radar19:
Your TM will be the first one to throw you under the bus if VOSA come knocking. Best thing for you to do is to comply with the law. Take jobs back and if the TM bitchs at you, you need to stand up for yourself. VOSA and the plod take a very dim view of tacho fraud so don’t risk it. If you were unloading whilst the tacho was set to break and you had an accident, questions will be asked to why you were doing work when you should of been on break and you will not like what VOSA have in store if you answer wrong.

This is the most sensible advice.

Do not leave unless it becomes very difficult to continue working there.

You will just have to find another job and that may not be easy if you are a newbie then you might just end up in the same situation with the next lot.

Just take you breaks as per the regs and if the TM queries it just tell him that you want to stay within the law.

You are probably slower than the other drivers for now but as time goes on you should be able to complete your round in the allotted time as well as taking your proper rest periods and then things will get easier.

Just stick it out for now…

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The TM is obviously a ships anchor!!

Tell him in no uncertain terms to go… ( fill in the blanks ) :smiley:

You shouldn’t do it but everyone does!
If youre being forced to do it then big no no.

Tell the gaffer to F.off for many reasons
No proper breaks means be too tired and stressed to drive properly
It’s your license not his and there’s plenty of jobs out there

AND

If you got caught and VOSA were having an off day and prosecuted you and it got in the papers after going to court it would be the LAST proper driving job you would get ever.
Your TM wouldn’t care just get another mug to do the same.